Notices

Opinions On This Forester STi Please

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2015, 09:11 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car Ty, it's not my cup of t but I'm glad you stayed within the Scooby fold mate.
Old 28 March 2015, 09:18 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Are these the same wheels?
https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-announcements-363/1021556-revolution-millenium-alloy-wheel-sets.html
Love the fsti I want to go one from my bug sti. Great buy
Old 28 March 2015, 10:40 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Keep me in mind if you off load the OE Alloys.
I will Ian, but I'll be keeping them as I quite like them to be honest.

Originally Posted by The Sheep Worrier
Wheels will look very swish on the car Ty that is for certain!

Catch up with you tomoro with a bit of luck, can't wait to test the boot out 😁
Thanks Rob, I'll hopefully catch up with you in person tomorrow.
Old 28 March 2015, 10:46 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GONZO01
Nice car Ty, it's not my cup of t but I'm glad you stayed within the Scooby fold mate.
Thanks Craig.

Originally Posted by forgedmarco
Are these the same wheels?
https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-ann...heel-sets.html
Love the fsti I want to go one from my bug sti. Great buy
Yes they are the same wheels, I'm very happy with my purchase and they are certainly a lot thinner on the ground than their stablemates.
Old 29 March 2015, 04:00 PM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

thanks for calling in today ty the car is a real cracker I think you should def stick with the wheels that are on it enjoy it
Old 30 March 2015, 09:59 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzreid1964
thanks for calling in today ty the car is a real cracker I think you should def stick with the wheels that are on it enjoy it
Thanks Ozz, good to see you and Julie again as it's been a while.

I'm starting to think that as well.
Old 04 April 2015, 07:29 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

So the servicing has been mostly completed on the Forester, it has had a complete maintenance service as below:

Engine Millers NT oil and genuine filter
Gearbox and differential Millers NT oils
Spark plugs replaced with NGK 7 grade items
Pollen filter changed
Fuel filter changed
Air filter changed with a K&N long life performance filter
Timing belt and rollers, tensioner and sprockets changed for an RCM supplied timing belt kit with a Gates Racing Kevlar belt
Auxillary drive belts changed for new Gates belts
Coolant changed out to Prestone long life antifreeze
Water pump renewed
Wiper blades changed for Bosch Aero flat blade items

Also the earthing kit was removed as quite frankly they are a waste of time on a largely standard car but the Japanese for some reason love them, so that found a new home in the bin.

I also removed the existing head unit install and what a job that was, the head unit had 4 aerial connected to it - one for the radio, one for the GPS, one for the TV and one for digital TV reception.

As the head unit is useless in the UK it also got a new home in the bin along with all the reams of cabling that I had to cut out and remove.

I fitted a Pioneer Appradio 4 unit in it's place and I am really impressed by the way it works with my iPhone 6, no need anymore for discs as all my music is on my Apple devices plus it also does hands free calling, informs you of any alerts plus integrates the iPhone navigation and becomes a proper GPS navigation unit. I am very impressed with the unit and the way that everything just works without issue, fuss or problem.

Also a set of PIAA horns were fitted as well, they don't look like much but they don't half make some noise and certainly let people know where you are should the need arise.

So there are still some jobs outstanding on the car before I start using her, that being renewing the brake hoses for Goodridge black Phantom items and brake fluid change.

I have also decided to do something about the slightly boat like suspension and have ordered Tein lowering springs, Whiteline front and rear anti roll bars and Ultra Racing front and rear strut braces.

The plan is to get the car ready to collect on the 18th and then take her across to either Powerstation or Indigo GT and get the geometry alignment done.

Plus it's looking highly likely that I won't be using the 18" Revolution Millenium wheels either now, I really like the standard wheels so they will be staying so can an eye out for the forthcoming sale.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 04 April 2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04 April 2015, 08:37 PM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

that head unit looks a cracker and def the right decision with the wheels I think (unlike me to go for standard lol )
Old 05 April 2015, 12:21 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Do you know how much the Teins lower the car and what their rate is?

The reason I am asking is that the STi pinks (FSTi specific) I had were too soft for the lowering (20mm) they provided.

It's a common mistake people make to lower these cars only to realise they roll more, not less.

In the 3 Subarus I've had (2 FSTis and a WRX wagon) I've tried 7 different suspension setups and know from experience.

I wouldn't change the springs, just fit a rear ARB and you will be sorted. Depending on what front ARB you have chosen you may have fitment problems, take a look at XT666's journal in SF.org.

Good choice to stay with the OEM wheels.

Last edited by fpan; 05 April 2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05 April 2015, 07:20 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzreid1964
that head unit looks a cracker and def the right decision with the wheels I think (unlike me to go for standard lol )
Thanks Ozz, yes I agree the standard wheels look great and have really grown on me.

The head unit is also great it does everything you could ever want except for playing any discs as everything apart from the radio functions are taken from the iPhone.
Old 05 April 2015, 07:36 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
Do you know how much the Teins lower the car and what their rate is?

The reason I am asking is that the STi pinks (FSTi specific) I had were too soft for the lowering (20mm) they provided.

It's a common mistake people make to lower these cars only to realise they roll more, not less.

In the 3 Subarus I've had (2 FSTis and a WRX wagon) I've tried 7 different suspension setups and know from experience.

I wouldn't change the springs, just fit a rear ARB and you will be sorted. Depending on what front ARB you have chosen you may have fitment problems, take a look at XT666's journal in SF.org.

Good choice to stay with the OEM wheels.
Fivos the link for the springs as below:

http://www.tein.co.uk/srch/uk_search...2&item=default

I've gone for a 22mm front and rear bars, the front having 2 adjustment positions and the rear having 3.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue...F2002-8%2F2008

I will be probably taking the car to Powerstation in Tewksbury for the geometry alignment after picking the car up, they've got a great reputation for setting up Subaru cars properly.
Old 05 April 2015, 08:46 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What a nice looking FSTi in white - rare too.

I have been enjoying mine for the last couple of years, and also think it the better overall car than the Impreza - generally speaking and all things considered

Subaru and STi have done such a brilliant job on these cars and achieved something which is quite special.

Bespoke 6-speed 'box with 'quick' feeling ratio's and then a lovely extended 6th for motorway duty (car will easily pull 140 in 5th with a sound to moan for ) Which synergises with the 2.5l the extra grunt fitting the car well - mine has de-cat and runs ~320

Brembo's which give all the confidence - I fitted Performance Friction pads which work very well indeed

Alloys, Spec C seats, etc

The handling of the car was something I was expecting to have to do some work with. After all, all the other Impreza's I have owned have seen extensive tweaks - bars, braces, roll kits etc - but no, and this is another fine acheivement by STi. The car does a great job completely OE. The only thing I have done is fit a thicker rear bar to trim the car and improve rotaional balance - car rotates nicely from the driver's seat now

One other thing I did (personal preference I suppose) was fit tyres which have 'stiff' sidewalls - Bridgestones - this sharpens things up a lot

Remember, this car has been lowered considerably already from the factory. It has a roll centre correction kit fitted and alloy rear arms etc. These are things I would normally be doing as aftermarker additions, but they are there already.

The car stays remarkably flat through the bends as is (22 rear bar). The Forester is a little more about fun weight transfers, than an ultimate tarmac terror machine - that's what my Type R is for with all its braces and bars

Honestly, I can't think of anything worse than Tein lowering springs on this (or any other car for that matter) car. If you are only going to use it on very smooth flat roads, then OK. Otherwise, the more crappy or challenging the road gets, the better the Foz likes - and deals with it

Here's a couple of mine... how flat?

Top one has nice rotation with a hint of opposite lock, bottom one is fast and smooth

Last edited by bonesetter; 05 April 2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05 April 2015, 09:31 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

The OEM FSTI springs are 160 lb/in front and 125 lb/in rear (I had them measured before starting my suspension journeys) whereas the STi pinks (FSTi specific) are 205 lb/in front and 195 lb/in rear.

The Tein S are softer than the pinks at the front (168 lb/in - almost OEM) and just a tad harder at the rear (202 lb/in) while lowering the car more.

I can't help but think that your car will roll more with them

In fact, this is my experience after fitting the pinks (compared with the OEM ones): the car rolled more initially but then settled and stayed there (probably because it was on its bumpstops).

The photos prove the same as it can be seen, the car rolls much more than bonesetter's one (we both use a 22mm rear ARB and OEM front, bonesetter on OEM springs, mine on STi pinks at the time)

Old 05 April 2015, 06:18 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Wot drop links for 22 arb
Old 05 April 2015, 08:06 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI Glenn
I used OEM droplinks Glenn and SuperPro bushes on both front and rear ARBs.
Old 06 April 2015, 08:03 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
What a nice looking FSTi in white - rare too.

I have been enjoying mine for the last couple of years, and also think it the better overall car than the Impreza - generally speaking and all things considered

Subaru and STi have done such a brilliant job on these cars and achieved something which is quite special.

Bespoke 6-speed 'box with 'quick' feeling ratio's and then a lovely extended 6th for motorway duty (car will easily pull 140 in 5th with a sound to moan for ) Which synergises with the 2.5l the extra grunt fitting the car well - mine has de-cat and runs ~320

Brembo's which give all the confidence - I fitted Performance Friction pads which work very well indeed

Alloys, Spec C seats, etc

The handling of the car was something I was expecting to have to do some work with. After all, all the other Impreza's I have owned have seen extensive tweaks - bars, braces, roll kits etc - but no, and this is another fine acheivement by STi. The car does a great job completely OE. The only thing I have done is fit a thicker rear bar to trim the car and improve rotaional balance - car rotates nicely from the driver's seat now

One other thing I did (personal preference I suppose) was fit tyres which have 'stiff' sidewalls - Bridgestones - this sharpens things up a lot

Remember, this car has been lowered considerably already from the factory. It has a roll centre correction kit fitted and alloy rear arms etc. These are things I would normally be doing as aftermarker additions, but they are there already.

The car stays remarkably flat through the bends as is (22 rear bar). The Forester is a little more about fun weight transfers, than an ultimate tarmac terror machine - that's what my Type R is for with all its braces and bars

Honestly, I can't think of anything worse than Tein lowering springs on this (or any other car for that matter) car. If you are only going to use it on very smooth flat roads, then OK. Otherwise, the more crappy or challenging the road gets, the better the Foz likes - and deals with it

Here's a couple of mine... how flat?

Top one has nice rotation with a hint of opposite lock, bottom one is fast and smooth

Thanks for the informative post, and the geometry settings you've posted up.

I think I'll see if I can cancel the Tein springs as they're on backorder at present anyway.

The tyres are also a good thought, at present the car has Falken ZE912 which aren't the best or worse tyre on the market.
Old 06 April 2015, 08:09 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
The OEM FSTI springs are 160 lb/in front and 125 lb/in rear (I had them measured before starting my suspension journeys) whereas the STi pinks (FSTi specific) are 205 lb/in front and 195 lb/in rear.

The Tein S are softer than the pinks at the front (168 lb/in - almost OEM) and just a tad harder at the rear (202 lb/in) while lowering the car more.

I can't help but think that your car will roll more with them

In fact, this is my experience after fitting the pinks (compared with the OEM ones): the car rolled more initially but then settled and stayed there (probably because it was on its bumpstops).

The photos prove the same as it can be seen, the car rolls much more than bonesetter's one (we both use a 22mm rear ARB and OEM front, bonesetter on OEM springs, mine on STi pinks at the time)

As above I'm going to see if I can cancel the Tein springs, plus look at doing something with the tyres as well.
Old 06 April 2015, 08:12 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI Glenn
I'm re-using the standard OEM items as they are in great condition, plus a lot of the aftermarket items aren't jointed and have bolts going through a bush as opposed to the superior jointed design.
Old 06 April 2015, 09:22 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
I'm re-using the standard OEM items as they are in great condition, plus a lot of the aftermarket items aren't jointed and have bolts going through a bush as opposed to the superior jointed design.
^Well said
Old 06 April 2015, 04:22 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

Thanks if not in good nick ill get oem Import Car Parts
Old 11 April 2015, 04:31 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

So a couple of minor jobs have been done with some items that I had left over from the Hatchback, nothing major as below plus I got hold of a good condition rear tonneau cover as well.

I'll be picking the car up next Friday and then taking it for a geometry alignment after the modifications to the suspension etc, so it'll be all ready for Spring PCAD at Castle Combe.
Old 17 April 2015, 08:50 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

So the service on the car has been completed, plus the following minor modifications fitted as well - Torques (Aeromotive) fuel pump fitted, Goodridge black Phantom brake hoses, Performance Friction Z10 front brake pads.

I've also had fitted a set of Tein lowering springs (with the latest revised more road friendly settings), Whiteline rear 22mm anti roll bar and Ultra Racing front and rear strut braces.

I'll be taking the car later to Mototec in Blackwood for a geometry alignment and then other than a remap for UK fuel that should be the car completed.
Old 17 April 2015, 09:28 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
......................... other than a remap for UK fuel that should be the car completed.

Famous last words
Old 17 April 2015, 09:35 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Famous last words
I do have something on the way over from Japan at present, but that'll take seconds to fit.
Old 17 April 2015, 09:50 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Would suggest going for the reinforced rarb mounts. The std ones will almost certainly fail

These:

Last edited by bonesetter; 17 April 2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 17 April 2015, 06:35 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Would suggest going for the reinforced rarb mounts. The std ones will almost certainly fail

These:

Thanks, I'll get a set on order from AS Performance.
Old 17 April 2015, 06:45 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Having picked up the car and taken it for it's geometry alignment at Mototec I have to say how much I really enjoy driving the car.

It's a much nicer drive than the Impreza with more comfort, okay it's going to need a remap to release the power that the car is capable of but apart from that the car is great.

The overall driving experience is more refined, less harsh and rattle free when compared to a newage let alone a classic Impreza.

The Tein springs have made a difference giving the ride a slightly more firm feel without ruining the car's comfort levels, along with the Whiteline rear anti roll bar and Ultra Racing strut braces they've all added to make a good car even better.

I'm as you can guess very happy with the car and the work that Ryan has carried out on it, plus I'd happily recommended Mototec to anyone needing their geometry alignment tweaked or sorted out.
Old 17 April 2015, 08:02 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Got a pic of the car's new ride height??
Old 18 April 2015, 10:24 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Got a pic of the car's new ride height??
Not yet, I'll try and take some later after I've given it a clean.
Old 18 April 2015, 05:03 PM
STI Glenn
Scooby Regular

How much of a improvement would you say springs and arb have made

Quick Reply: Opinions On This Forester STi Please