Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

2010 Hatch - STi suspension into WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2011, 08:43 PM
Chris-FP
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 2010 Hatch - STi suspension into WRX?

Hi guys, I've had my '10 WRX hatchback since new and I've finally managed to get some money together so I can look at improving the suspension on my car.

I'm finding that it's really let down with the standard WRX set up especially with my car having the factory Prodrive extras it feels like it has too much power for the springs!

I'd like to change to something else. I've considered these options:

1) Coil over kit = but I find that these are normally too firm (my car is used every day for a commute to work).

2) Lowering springs + standard shocks = I'm not sure this is the right option because I think the shocks are not really that good

3) - my preferred choice - is to change the complete shock and spring with a matched alternative - preferably from the STi

Has anyone done this conversion?
Any other recommendations?

Also - does anyone know of anyone selling their standard STi shocks and springs (perhaps having upgraded to coilovers themselves?) - I've money waiting and can arrange carriage too!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers
Chris
Old 14 July 2011, 08:54 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

sti suspension wont fit your wrx hatch Unfortunatly mate, the hubs on the sti have a different bolt spacing compared to that of the wrx.

BC Racing coilovers would be the best bet as you can specify the spring rates which suit you best
Old 14 July 2011, 09:04 PM
Chris-FP
Scooby Newbie

Awww, that's a shame I was sure they would. I see that both Tein and Eibach specify the same coilover kit for the WRX and the STi so thought the standard shocks would fit ok. I'm not looking to change the hubs, just the shocks and springs.
I've been examining the parts diagrams on opposedforces.com and they sure look the same (images below).

Any recommendations for BC Racing dealers?

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...hock_absorber/
WRX front shock

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...hock_absorber/
STi front shock

WRX front suspension set up

STi front suspension set up

Last edited by Chris-FP; 14 July 2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 14 July 2011, 09:09 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

I can double check the part numbers at work tomorrow, but im pretty sure the spacings on the front are different. if they do turn out to be the same I have a set in my shed from my car that wont be going back on, that I could sell
Old 14 July 2011, 09:13 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Starting point would an uprated rear ARB and a fast road geometry setup. ARBs will reduce roll, shorter springs won't .
Once you have sorted the rear bar, by all means lower to finish off. However, geometry will need to be reset, so you're best off doing it all together. Bob
Old 14 July 2011, 09:19 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watching this thread with interest as when the going gets twisty I have to get out the classic

Is Pro-R fetching out some subaru recomnended parts ?
Old 14 July 2011, 09:19 PM
Chris-FP
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by rob84
I can double check the part numbers at work tomorrow, but im pretty sure the spacings on the front are different. if they do turn out to be the same I have a set in my shed from my car that wont be going back on, that I could sell
That would be great! Thanks very much. I know the STi has a wider track than the WRX but I am thinking this might be more down to the hubs rather than the shocks because the basic shell is the same on both models (I have already fitted a STi front strut bar to my WRX and can confirm that the WRX and STi have the exact same distance appart on the tops of the front shocks).

Starting point would an uprated rear ARB and a fast road geometry setup. ARBs will reduce roll, shorter springs won't .
Once you have sorted the rear bar, by all means lower to finish off. However, geometry will need to be reset, so you're best off doing it all together. Bob
Thanks for the info Bob. The biggest problem with the car is front to back movement, not so much side to side movement. This is especially noticeable when accelerating away at night when the car tips back so much that oncoming cars start flashing me cause they're being dazzled! lol.
I'm not looking to lower the car really. If it happened as a bi-product of better handling then fair enough, but it's not my goal here.

Thanks
Chris
Old 14 July 2011, 09:34 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
Watching this thread with interest as when the going gets twisty I have to get out the classic

Is Pro-R fetching out some subaru recomnended parts ?
Yes in association with eibach
Old 17 July 2011, 01:30 PM
Chris-FP
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by rob84
Did you have any luck finding this out?
Old 17 July 2011, 01:40 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris-FP
Did you have any luck finding this out?
Not yet mate sorry, First job in the morning. I'll look into it
Old 17 July 2011, 02:23 PM
Chris-FP
Scooby Newbie

Thanks rob94, you're a star!
So far I've found that the different parts between the WRX and the STi are the shock, the spring, and the top mount. The other parts (like the spring seats and other fittings) are the same between the models (both front and back).

I guess my main concern is:
Rear:
The top mounts are different, so does this mean that STi top mounts wont mount up to the WRX - if anything I would guess that it's a geometry issue. Not the end of the world for the back as I could swap over the top mounts too...

Front: Again, the top mounts are different so perhaps the same issue with geometry. I know though that the bolt pattern and layout are the same between the two models because I have an STi strut bar fitted to my WRX, but it may be the angle of the shock within the top mount that is an issue (again, the spring seats are the same).
Next though is the positioning and spacing of the two lower bolt holes on the front shock. Will these match up to the corresponding bolt holes on the WRX hub (which is different to the STi hub)? If there's a geometry issue then this may be a problem.

...all very technical!

I'm guessing no one else has attempted this conversion before?

Cheers
Chris