ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

GT2 - Analog Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2000, 12:57 AM
Dario
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

If you check the packaging and Rear Inlay for GT2 - you'll find that it doesn't Officially support the steering wheel (No Icon) - especially non Sony Licenced peripherals like the gamemaster - the only Licenced wheels are the Mad Catz and V3 Wheel.

Regards

Dario

PS - I have a Ferrari (officially endorsed) wheel they are maybe going to Licence - VERY NICE - it's just like the Scooby's Momo! and attaches to the table with clamps
Old 02 February 2000, 09:22 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Question

Ok, it's got nothing to do with Scoobies at all...

...but I do know there's lots of GT2 fans out there - and I have bought it so that there is yet another driving game that I fail to master.

Anyway, why is it that in arcade mode I CANNOT get my analog steering wheel and pedals (Gamester Dual Force) to offer me analog response.

I only got the game yesterday and only had an hour of fiddling around - so is this a restriction of Arcade mode, not setting up my steering correctly.

I am sure it would be easier in analog mode!

Help welcome, abuse expected

David - GT Novice
Old 02 February 2000, 10:25 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Rannoch,
I spent ages trying to get my steering wheel to work on the gt mode. The configuration screen must be one of the least user friendly screens I've seen and the manual may as well be in Japanese. Beneath the steering bar there are three options, centre, max and margin. Unfortunately I can't remember which buttons to press but what you need to do (I think) is to set the centre, thats easy enough and then move down to the max setting. I started with the bar being all browny yellow and this resulted in digital steering, either full left or full right.
After some time I managed to set the amount I needed to turn the wheel for full lock. The inside bit of the bar was then black with the outside yellow. Then I set turned the wheel from left to right and the black bit went red inside. If you end up with something like that then you should be OK. I am afriad I can't describe that any better, it was a bloody nightmare for me too! Good luck...
RichB
Old 02 February 2000, 01:33 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The Gamester wheel claims it will support any Playstation game in Analog mode - it certainly supported GT 1 - which I didn't own.

The odd thing is, when I go to the calibration screen it says 'n/a' for steering, brakes and throttle - however the steering is definately analog - the pedals aren't.

Yours,

Puzzled
Old 02 February 2000, 02:17 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

Dario...if they are going to release an officially endorsed ferarri wheel, will that mean ferarris in GT2000?? more to the point, doesnt it make the company look a bit silly not having ay of their cars in a game they have a steering wheel for??????
Old 02 February 2000, 04:16 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Some games I run in NeGCon mode, some analogue..from memory original GT was an NeGCon jobbie..
Old 02 February 2000, 05:27 PM
Dario
Scooby Regular

Rannoch - Sony has recently issued injunctions against many non-licenced peripheral manufacturers about claiming compatiblity with the PlayStation platform.

I'll find out about Ferrari in GT2 - but I doubt in for 2 reasons:-

1. They have a deal with SEGA (spit) - with Ferrari 355.
2. Many car manufacturers don't like their cars to be seen to inferior to other cars (e.g Ferrari 360 beaten by a relatively cheap Impreza)

P.S - You may hear a my ScoobySport exhaust sampled in a future game
Old 02 February 2000, 05:43 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

you need to be able to beat it with the rip roaring Diahatsu Midget. A tarmac ripping 31bhp....come on!!!!
Old 03 February 2000, 12:59 AM
Dario
Scooby Regular

Rannoch,

I authorise what peripherals are to be used by the game - I don't want people complaining about it when we never said it would work with it.

Regards

Dario
Old 03 February 2000, 09:44 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

Dario,

I would just like to observe that I am puzzled by your enthusiasm for it not working...

Nevertheless - I got it to work in Negcon mode as Lee suggested - no rumble from Dual Shock tho

First attempts in arcade mode - Skyline terrific, Scooby a laugh on the dirt track - Evo just about undriveable...

...is this just like real life I ask myself

David

PS Also managed to win a race, finally, in a 206 GTI
Old 03 February 2000, 05:28 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dario,

your stance is interesting - especially the injunction bit - it's a bit like Subaru UK/IM or FHI taking out an injunction against Power Engineering or Link Electrosystems 'cos they say their chips work in a Scooby

Mmmmmmmmm!

David

PS I know this is now completely off-topic, but I did start this one
Old 03 February 2000, 11:37 PM
Area 52 Autosport
Scooby Regular

Location: Nottingham with 620BHP & 530lb/ft @1.5bar boost on road fuel.
Hi David

You really are better off ditching the wheel and using the controller. You just can't react fast enough to be at all competitive.

I took mine beack when I thought it would be great for GT1.

Benny
Undefeated
Old 03 February 2000, 11:51 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

I have the genuine Dual Shock Controller. In GT1 you used to be able to use the left stick for steering and the right stick for throttle/brake (analog control).

In GT2 it doesn't work. I still have analog steering control on the left stick but nothing from the right stick. Have to use the buttons to control throttle and brakes, i.e. on or off.

Bit difficult to launch a 1000bhp drag car with full throttle/no throttle etc.

What's that all about then ?

Or is it a ploy to make people go and buy a steering wheel with analog pedals (if such a beast exists) ? Or am I being cynical.

By the way, finished GT Championships, just Specials, Dirt and Endurance to do now.

Cheers

Ian
Old 04 February 2000, 12:22 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

IWatkins and Rannoch:

I too have a Dual Shock and I have analog steering on left sitck and analog accel/brake on right stick.

Here's a step-by-step guide to how I did it.

1: Make sure pad is in analog mode, ie; red light is on

2: From main GT window, ie; Start, Load, Options, etc... Select Options.

3: You'll see the options window, press right on D-pad to go to button selection screen.

4: On button selection screen press X,

5: You should see that left & right steering is assinged to l/r movement on left analog stick. Press down on D-pad until you get to the accelerate option, then use d-pad left/right to change the setting, it should scroll through the options and allow you to assign right stick up/down, thus allowing analog accel/decell.

I would guess that you could set it so that the left stick is accel/brake and right stick is steering.

Hope this helps.

BTW - I am *not* trying to sound cocky, just trying to be helpful to other GT2 owners.
Old 04 February 2000, 10:41 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

You're right. I have a Dual Shock controller as well (Dario - genuine Sony item )

On GT2 only the left stick is utilised for analog steering. Not much use, eh! In digital mode I have managed to do what I did in real life at Santa Pod - that is get up to third gear with all wheels spinning, all of three feet off the line!!!!!!!!

Ben,

will try both, but I know that with Colin McRae Rally I am MUCH faster with the wheel as opposed to the controller, and that uses both analog sticks.

David

PS No one took the bait then

[This message has been edited by Rannoch (edited 04-02-2000).]
Old 04 February 2000, 11:08 AM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Get hold of a NegCon. Analog steering, brakes & throttle, and all hand held!

Oh, and it's fully supported by Sony & GT2!!

Andrew