ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Engine Builders

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2014, 05:34 PM
scotty75
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Builders

Hi just wondering where to go in the future for a full engine build as there is a lot of engine builders out there in Scotland/England and wales I live in Scotland and I don't mind traveling so who would you recommend to build you a engine weather its a 2.0 fully forge or a 2.1 stroker .
Old 09 December 2014, 08:20 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to say it but these threads are a waste of time as people will only name the company that they have used .

Personally I would say RCM but there are a few who have a good rep.
Old 09 December 2014, 08:26 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speak to whoever will be mapping it. Ideally you want the guy who maps it to build it or vise versa.
Old 09 December 2014, 08:44 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

I used api to build a forged lump for my blob sti, they were spot on lads and the engine runs perfectly 7k miles in.
Old 09 December 2014, 09:12 PM
TypeR99
Scooby Regular

Finch Motorsport
Old 09 December 2014, 09:18 PM
scotty75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
Speak to whoever will be mapping it. Ideally you want the guy who maps it to build it or vise versa.
That's what my plan is and I can only think of 1 I would defo go to for that .
Old 09 December 2014, 09:21 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

speak to a few tuners pick one your happy with and go with that. as above alot is personal preferance. I would only ever use scoobyclinic, they built my firged 2.5, now that is a cracking engine when built right
Old 13 December 2014, 09:01 PM
jobegold@hotmail.co.uk
Scooby Regular

Dont use RCM mate they are screwing me over with a engine build.

scooby clinic are good.
Old 13 December 2014, 11:31 PM
scotty75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jobegold@hotmail.co.uk

scooby clinic are good.
Don't worry already found the builder I will use once funds are together .
Old 14 December 2014, 06:35 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Andy forest, is who I'd be speaking to in your area.
Old 14 December 2014, 10:37 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

Andy will recommend Steve whitson in Penicuik.
Who you planning on using for mapping?
Old 15 December 2014, 03:12 PM
scotty75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ciaran
Andy will recommend Steve whitson in Penicuik.
Who you planning on using for mapping?

It will be Andy Forrest .
Old 16 December 2014, 06:27 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

scooby clinic are good.
I've never dealt with RCM or even been down there before however one thing I do know is they are world renowned. They don't just build engines they innovate, and thats one of the reasons the majority of engine builders in the UK use there bits.

You don't get a reputation like that by dick ing your customers over!
Old 20 December 2014, 02:13 AM
jobegold@hotmail.co.uk
Scooby Regular

haha juggers im sure you are right. Im sure they are amazing and never rip people off.

Unless you are spending 12k with them and they blow your car up whilst mapping it.

Last edited by jobegold@hotmail.co.uk; 20 December 2014 at 02:15 AM.
Old 20 December 2014, 02:33 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

haha juggers im sure you are right. Im sure they are amazing and never rip people off.

Unless you are spending 12k with them and they blow your car up whilst mapping it.
Ok

If I had a 12k budget I would be spending it with RCM simples.......Ill let you know how I get on and if theres any issues !
Old 20 December 2014, 05:40 AM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Juggers - jobegold is not slagging off RCM over a whim..... I have seen all the receipts and the original work done, the engine THEY built blew up on THEIR rollers whilst being mapped and they wanted to charge a hefty bill to rebuild the engine that THEY BLEW UP!.

My confusion is that they were asked about warrantly on the engine that jobe spend all the money on in the first place (not all the 12K was on the engine mind!) and the alleged reply was that RCM don't really do warranties....... none of their engines have failed. (this is information I received from a 3rd party, cannot confirm 100%)

I do not doubt what they do is on another level compared to us mere mortals and they are pushing the boundaries on Subaru tuning developments................. but they only have the money to do that from people like jobe who pay them to build them a car - and then get penalised when RCM break an RCM built engine.

Go figure

Last edited by WUZ; 20 December 2014 at 05:44 AM.
Old 20 December 2014, 10:53 AM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wuz have you spoke to RCM? I suspect you haven't as it has nothing to do with anyone else other than the two parties.
I find it hard to believe RCM are responsible for blowing it up on the rollers we are talking about about a firm that builds and maps on a daily basis however I am not saying it's impossible.
Having read the thread the issue which lead to the engine failure was not apparent when on the first engine failure. So how can they be responsible for that?

I can understand how pissed he must be, but coming on a open forum and slagging them off is not going to resolve anything other than waste your own time. On top of that everyone is making conclusions without speaking to RCM.......You have to hear it from both sides before you make an informed decision.
Old 20 December 2014, 12:05 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

^^^^^^^What juggers says ^^^^^^^^^

Mechanical things always can go wrong and the brighter the light burns etc. But it the way it's resolved is what's counts.

I had an engine refresh with new bearings rings pump etc and turbo. Due to oil pump relief valve failure. A Renowned builder did my work, mapped it, ran it in for 500 miles and serviced it all before I even drove it. After 1 seventy Mile trip home and the next sixty mile trip. Lost water and overheated seemed head gasket went.

. Builder said if any work or parts he fitted had failed then no bill but Sadly the block had failed it had done 95k miles My builder could have said £10k more please and I'll start again. but to be fair came back with a figure to replace with a pinned block new rods Pistons etc. the total of both builds wasn't too far away price for this spec done once.

At the time engine blew and a while after I was really @@@@@@@@ but I do now appreciate the way he handled the matter. Hence why this is the first time I've mentioned this on a forum. It would have been Too easy to give a knee jerk reaction, then **** hits fan and nobody wins. IMHO

He was well within his legal rights to charge me fully TWICE . I would certainly use the same builder again as he did a really great job both times.

Tony

Ps this post is meant as a compliment to the guy and not a backhanded snipe. He worked hard and long for very little return. So do hope it reads that way.

Last edited by T5NYW; 20 December 2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 20 December 2014, 01:37 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Just because it's RCM doesn't mean they are exempt from looking after a customer should a failure occur.

I'm sure if you all bought a brand new TV or Phone and it failed in the first week you'd be looking to be reimbursed or have a replacement free of charge and not expected to pay again?
Old 20 December 2014, 05:35 PM
jobegold@hotmail.co.uk
Scooby Regular

Judders why do you find it so hard to believe that when it was on the roiling road at RCM the engine went.

The simple fact is whilst i was paying 12k for all this work they should have told me to do the big end then this would have not happened.

How would you feel after a 12k bill then have to pay another 3900 to get the car back up and running with no fault of your own. If they had said OK well we will charge you cost for the parts and will sort out for you if have had no problem but charging me top dollar for the parts is a joke.
Old 20 December 2014, 06:40 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I don't find it hard to believe it went on the rollers, I find it hard to believe that the engine was RCM's fault. And I also wont pass judgement on them as I have only heard your side of the story. However I will take into account the years of experience and the fact they are the UK's no 1 tuner. You don't earn that reputation by di'king your customers over! Simples!

So they charged you top $$$ for the parts? and what about labour?
I don't understand why they should discount you for the parts if the failure was no fault of theres?

You need to man up and go see them and resolve it properly.......you will not resolve anything on here in fact if I was RCM and I seen these threads I would charge you double!

Take a note from Tony's thread above!

Last edited by juggers; 20 December 2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 20 December 2014, 07:12 PM
jobegold@hotmail.co.uk
Scooby Regular

I'm not trying to resolve anything on hear just letting people know my opinion and what has happened. If you don't like it don't read it.

If anybody has to man up its RCM for trying to rip somebody off.

That is the last i will say on this matter for now.
Old 20 December 2014, 07:26 PM
DevilGirl
Scooby Newbie

Default Sure

I've heard from several people that they've been ripped off by RCM so Jobe isn't the first and I doubt he'll be the last. They have a good reputation based on a business their father built. Roger was the real genius, no one else.
The Scooby World is very small, and believe me when I say everyone in it knows about Jobe's story and knows that RCM seriously ****ed up. What's worse is they refuse to take responsibility for it, and that is not the mark of a good company, nor is it the example their father set.
Such a disappointment, and such a blemish on the Scooby community.
Old 20 December 2014, 11:49 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by DevilGirl
I've heard from several people that they've been ripped off by RCM so Jobe isn't the first and I doubt he'll be the last. They have a good reputation based on a business their father built. Roger was the real genius, no one else.
The Scooby World is very small, and believe me when I say everyone in it knows about Jobe's story and knows that RCM seriously ****ed up. What's worse is they refuse to take responsibility for it, and that is not the mark of a good company, nor is it the example their father set.
Such a disappointment, and such a blemish on the Scooby community.
First post and I wonder who it could be.......this is getting embarrassing now.
Old 21 December 2014, 12:01 AM
DevilGirl
Scooby Newbie

Think and say whatever you like. Doesn't change the facts, and luckily everyone knows it.
Old 21 December 2014, 10:04 AM
BadBadLeeroyBrown
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=T5NYW;11586800
Mechanical things always can go wrong and the brighter the light burns etc. But it the way it's resolved is what's counts.

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with what's said here. Anyone and every one screws up sometimes (Ive had some issues with my build, so speak from experience) but its how these ***** ups are dealt with is where the class acts stand out.

My engine has been built by Engine Tuner, Plymouth and will be mapped there too. I chose them on account of their reputation, quality of work and locality
Old 22 December 2014, 12:17 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Steve Darley or Paul Finch have the best reputation on here for high quality engine builds.

Steve Whitson for quality north of the border is my choice if you need something more local.

RCM - no thanks................
Old 22 December 2014, 12:32 PM
scoobyreedy
Scooby Regular

I bought my hawk with a Paul finch build doesn't use any oil and Martin Jeffrey has mapped it car pulls lovely engine tuner have a good rep down here and if it was a build I was after it would go to them but one of the reasons I bought my hawk was knowing it had a Paul finch engine in it
Old 22 December 2014, 01:36 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Frayz Engineering built my 2.5, 3 years @ 570bhp, no complaints yet.
Old 22 December 2014, 04:39 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
Frayz Engineering built my 2.5, 3 years @ 570bhp, no complaints yet.

I have heard some bad things about that frayz engineering place.... ;-)

Last edited by Ian; 22 December 2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: rest of the ;-) face

Quick Reply: Engine Builders