Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Netflix or similar......

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2016, 05:28 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by nardoblue
Downloaded kodi to my android phone and stream it to my chromecast, result, don't pay for anything these days
Be proud. Know any good spots for shoplifting? Bugger paying for the snacks whilst watching the films.
Old 07 January 2016, 07:47 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

are you even more grouchy than usual Jack ?

didnt get any xmas cards ?
Old 08 January 2016, 10:03 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Nope, it's pretty normal for me to point out that piracy is a crime.
Old 08 January 2016, 06:30 PM
nardoblue
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here you go
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	19928  
Old 08 January 2016, 08:11 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
Nope, it's pretty normal for me to point out that piracy is a crime.
It's good to share
Did you never tape record the top 10 from the radio when you were a young lad?
Never made a mixed tape for a loved one? xx
Old 09 January 2016, 09:38 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Be proud. Know any good spots for shoplifting? Bugger paying for the snacks whilst watching the films.
Shoplifting is a totally different thing and if it weren't lots of people would be going to jail just for having a mix cd/usb stick in thier car. Getting on a moral high horse comparing the two is just stupidity.

I forgot the name of the show but they thanked people downloading it for it's popularity as it got signed to lots of tv networks after that.

I remember Jessie J saying copying one of her songs is like running out of a shop and not paying for a haircut. Again two different things as one person invests all thier time on every cut and the other gets paid millions for the time spent recording which would be pretty minimal time.
Old 10 January 2016, 10:23 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
Shoplifting is a totally different thing and if it weren't lots of people would be going to jail just for having a mix cd/usb stick in thier car. Getting on a moral high horse comparing the two is just stupidity.

I forgot the name of the show but they thanked people downloading it for it's popularity as it got signed to lots of tv networks after that.

I remember Jessie J saying copying one of her songs is like running out of a shop and not paying for a haircut. Again two different things as one person invests all thier time on every cut and the other gets paid millions for the time spent recording which would be pretty minimal time.
The fact remains though that if everybody watched all or most of their content for free, the people making that content would eventually quit and move on to other things. The comparison with mix-tapes recorded off the radio is hardly valid either - I don't remember back when I still used cassettes anyone offerring a service where I could send them a pack of blank C90s and a wish-list of songs or albums and they'd send me back the cassettes with everything I asked for recorded on them. I'm quite sure also that if anyone had offerred such a service the record companies would have gone after them big time.

That's what the everything-for-free boxes being discussed here really amount to, not just recording a few tracks here and there off the radio.
Old 10 January 2016, 01:06 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I have to say that Netflix selection is dire for me. I flick through the movies etc. it has, and hardly anything seems appealing.

So yesterday's, but I've started on The House of Cards yesterday itself (ironic ). Let's see if it grips me.

People say Amazon is better. Is it true?
Old 10 January 2016, 03:17 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
It's good to share
Did you never tape record the top 10 from the radio when you were a young lad?
Never made a mixed tape for a loved one? xx
Old 10 January 2016, 04:18 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd

That's what the everything-for-free boxes being discussed here really amount to, not just recording a few tracks here and there off the radio.
I hear more and more people using them but they are terrible loads of buffering and blocky low quality tv programs or crappy cams for the movies. I would rather not bother than use one of those.

I pay for Netxlix and Nowtv add freeview to that and there is always something to watch so no need to use Kodi.

Turbohot, I paid out for Amazon prime when it dropped to £59 but I cancelled in within two days as most of the content is to be paid for and you have to search to find things you can stream for free. There is the option for some free music and books but I think there is better music content on other providers.

Last edited by stevebt; 10 January 2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10 January 2016, 04:53 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Turbohot, I paid out for Amazon prime when it dropped to £59 but I cancelled in within two days as most of the content is to be paid for and you have to search to find things you can stream for free. There is the option for some free music and books but I think there is better music content on other providers.
Thanks, Steve.
Old 12 January 2016, 02:30 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I saw Silent Witness on the normal telly last night. I thought it was good.
Old 23 January 2016, 01:28 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I have to say that Netflix selection is dire for me. I flick through the movies etc. it has, and hardly anything seems appealing.

So yesterday's, but I've started on The House of Cards yesterday itself (ironic ). Let's see if it grips me.

People say Amazon is better. Is it true?
Netflix's House of Cards: easily predictable but good to keep me with it. I knew Russo's fate from day one. I don't want to predict what will be in the next season or I'll ruin it for myself. Started on Suits due to good reviews but the first episode had established for me that's it's a typical American cheese. Not for me, going by the sample of it.
Old 23 January 2016, 08:46 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

house of cards is very good, Kevin spacey and robin Wright are both brilliant

Currently watching The Bridge - which is pretty good too
Old 23 January 2016, 10:52 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Sure. The Doug bloke with "I'm on it, Sir!"is top as well. I could do with a loyal like that. Spacey is doing very well as a psychopath and Robin is doing very well as Lady Macbeth crossed with Lady Diana. With her anorexic but graceful looks, she would have been better as Lady Diana than Naomi Watts in that certain film that flopped. Not that I watched that film but seen the pictures.

In fact, I notice in this series that all women in it are super skinny with substantial gap between their thighs and minimal to adequate front. They must live on a one-inch (H as well as W & L) rice cracker and some lettuce leaves all day, every day. I can see why Kim Kardashian decided to flaunt her mega butt in such American climate. Good strategy to stand out.

I do apologise for bringing a Kardashian into this conversation. She's well out of league in terms of talent and charisma; in compare to the others mentioned.

Just read the reviews. Looks interesting. Will give it a shot.
Old 23 January 2016, 11:05 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

looking fwd to the Fall , probably going to be let down

I think prime suspect should been snuffed out ten years ago
Old 23 January 2016, 03:10 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

I just want to point out that it's possible to use kodi and not pirate anything.

I use it on my raspberry pi as a media server, and it's OK, but it annoys me that I can't get into my netflix account through it, unless I set up a windows machine somewhere else and stream through that, which seems totally pointless.
Old 24 January 2016, 05:10 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Hodgy, I found a 'The Bridge' on Netflix. I checked out one episode. My problem is that it's subtitled. I usually don't mind subtitles and some of my favourite films are subtitled i.e. The Diving Bell and The Butterfly, La Viae En Rose etc. but for some reason, I want to see the drama scenes with hearing the understandable commentary from the characters; rather than spending my energy into reading the subtitles and leaving the drama half-absorbed due to that.

What I want to ask is if you meant the same The Bridge or an English adaptation on some other streaming place or some BBC channel?
Old 24 January 2016, 05:55 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Yes, that's the one

I don't mind the subtitles - certainly would not want it dubbed

The fact it is in Swedish/Danish adds to the whole feel of the program

I think it was very good and so is season 2 (will prob finish that tonight)
Old 24 January 2016, 06:01 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Hodgy, I found a 'The Bridge' on Netflix. I checked out one episode. My problem is that it's subtitled. I usually don't mind subtitles and some of my favourite films are subtitled i.e. The Diving Bell and The Butterfly, La Viae En Rose etc. but for some reason, I want to see the drama scenes with hearing the understandable commentary from the characters; rather than spending my energy into reading the subtitles and leaving the drama half-absorbed due to that.

What I want to ask is if you meant the same The Bridge or an English adaptation on some other streaming place or some BBC channel?

Subtitles do my head in, my missus is going deaf so we have subtitles on everything. Even though I know what they are saying you spend all your time reading the subtitles. It's a bit like a signed program, you can't watch it without spending all your time watching the person doing all the sign language.
Old 24 January 2016, 06:15 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Yes, that's the one

I don't mind the subtitles - certainly would not want it dubbed

The fact it is in Swedish/Danish adds to the whole feel of the program

I think it was very good and so is season 2 (will prob finish that tonight)
Ok, thanks. I shall continue to watch it.

Yes, dubbed will be a proper killing of it. I meant an adaptation, as another re-make by the original makers or other permitted ones, in order to make it a hit in English speaking countries.

Subtitles do my head in, my missus is going deaf so we have subtitles on everything. Even though I know what they are saying you spend all your time reading the subtitles. It's a bit like a signed program, you can't watch it without spending all your time watching the person doing all the sign language.
I know what you mean. No doubt that the focus will be on reading the subtitles as well as watching, and that would be more difficult than hearing the understandable dialogues in your own language and watching. There are some terrific films, though, that still leave strong impact even as subtitled. I hope to watch such subtitled material again, if I can manage; in order to appreciate the artists' effort for visual stimulation.
Old 24 January 2016, 07:43 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Part of the appeal, what makes it different is that it is set in Sweden/Denmark

If it was remade in San Francisco or Hull it would not be the same (I am not necessarily saying worse, just that it was written for the the original time/place)

It is pretty gripping with some great characters
Old 24 January 2016, 08:41 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

May be.

Just watched 2nd episode. It's warming up.
Old 07 February 2016, 05:21 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I've been watching The Bridge. So far not as twisted as the House of Cards, but I'm with it throughout when I watch it. Good recommendation.
Old 13 February 2016, 01:54 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I've completed The Bridge as well. The next seasons of both House of Cards and The Bridge are awaited to appear on Netflix, so what shall I watch now?

I tried that well-glorified (on SN) Dexter's first episode. It was pants! A cheesy looking American fella with no mystery about him committing gore. I'm not into that. I also saw an episode or two of Lie to Me because I like the main actor in it. Poor man's efforts have been well and truly killed with his super-irritable character in the drama. I gave Person of Interest a go, but I can't be doing with a James Bond copycat. So please, give me something that's half interesting on Netflix. All remaining material seems to be unbelievably tacky.
Old 14 February 2016, 11:04 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

As no one is telling me what to watch next, I have settled for something known as Homeland. I had a taster session yesterday and after a few minutes, I thought I could watch it. It's not bad. The only 'in-your-face' criticism for this series is that the colours are pretty dire. Other than that, a watchable series.
Old 19 February 2016, 12:54 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Homeland is quite gripping! I read a bit about it being controversial etc. as a demonising piece of works, but as a drama, it's good. The weak minded may formulate some opinions at watching things like that, but the sound minded will just enjoy the roller-coaster ride.
Old 29 August 2016, 02:51 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I've started to watch The Honourable Woman on Netflix. Good stuff. Ill watch the 7th episode tonight.
Old 29 August 2016, 06:14 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I've just cancelled Netflix, just not watching it enough and when I do nothing much appeals. Might go back to it after a break.
Old 29 August 2016, 06:44 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've just cancelled Netflix, just not watching it enough and when I do nothing much appeals. Might go back to it after a break.
Not sure if it's your bag but did you watch Stranger Things? I thought that was pretty cool, though.

There's more 4k stuff being added as well. I know many will say they can't see the difference but it does look pretty good.

Quick Reply: Netflix or similar......