Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

How was the Impreza Cabriolet done in Photoshop?

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2002, 01:15 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Intrigued to know how the Impreza Cabriolet photo in the Photoshop thread was done???

How do you do this? Is it a case of getting a photo of the driveway without car there, then another photo with car there, and manipulating from there?

HOW??!!!?? I am intrigued (and wanna do it myself!)

Richard
Old 23 February 2002, 05:41 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Your guess is correct. Set up your camera on a tripod and take a picture of the car, then (leaving the camera exactly where it is), move the car out of the way and take another shot. If your camera has manual controls then use them to ensure that both pictures are taken with the same settings (aperture, shutter speed, white balance if it's digital).

Once you've got the two pictures, it's basically a case of copying bits from one into the other, then patching up round where you've made changes. You're bound to find that there are things that you want to be visible when the roof has gone (seats, front edge of the rear spoiler etc) - these can often be cloned from other bits of the picture, or from additional photographs that you may have taken.

For example, to create the photo of the cab viewed from the rear, I actually had 3 originals - one of the empty driveway, one of the car with all its windows open, and a third shot of the car with its back door open as well - this shot revealed more of the front seats than was visible in the first two shots.

From there it's just like working on any other (individual) photo - it just requires a lot of time and patience and an eye for detail

You can make life easier for yourself by careful choice of angle for the original photos - notice how neither of my shots actually show much more of the interior than you'd see on any other Impreza. That wasn't an accident!

If you're feeling brave, you could try to show more of the interior, or at least brighten it up if your pictures are taken with the sun shining. I didn't bother, and I don't think it's too noticeable.

I keep meaning to have a go at chopping the roof off a new shape Impreza, but it's tricky to get a set of photos to work from without having the car to hand.

Good luck

Andy.

...any excuse to post these again:

Old 23 February 2002, 08:18 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info!
Very clever...