Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Help boost levels!!

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2015, 11:12 PM
Bugeye01jack
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help boost levels!!

hi guys,
I am a newbie to the scooby world.
Bought myself a 2001 bug eye wrx last weekend and I am after a bit of advice..

The car has an apexi AVC-r boost controller and as far as I can see from full boost its at 1.2 bar and drops off and holds about 1.0bar.
Now I know your all gonna say that it's pretty much standard! But that's not going to help much haha

Now I am told by the last owner it has a TD05 Turbo in it. Now I don't know how I can tell this. So taking his word for it.
So if we assume worst case scenario that I'm running standard TD04 - would my boost levels be safe ..?
Bearing in mind that again, as far as I am aware and been told- I am running completely standard fuel pump and injectors... :/ ? Also the inter cooler doesn't look bigger either (would have thought if it was TD05 it would need bigger inter cooler ?)
It seems pretty standard in the sense that it's still got cat on it and just a receipt for a rear silencer so standard exhaust setup bar the backbox.
Only other engine alteration is HKS blow off valve and different hoses.

Am keen for some feedback as I am anxious that the engine/components are in danger
Thanks.
Jack
Old 26 March 2015, 11:19 PM
DutchKev
Scooby Regular

Standard boost iirc for wrx is either 0.5 or 0.7 bar standard, 1.2'is to much for a standard car and can cause all sorts of internal hurt. Id reccomend lowering the boost down asap as iirc some sti onlynrun 0.9 bar on a ihi vf

If it is a td05 then it will state it on the turbo housing
Old 26 March 2015, 11:32 PM
Bugeye01jack
Scooby Newbie

Okay well that confirms my worries. I will double check the housing though. Will it hAve a part number or will it specify td04/05.
See I don't know how long it has been running like this... But I am wandering whether it has shot the turbo bearings possibly, as under full throttle and the engines climbing it sounds almost like a slight whining noise but driving normally it's silent. Don't know if it's turbo related or just the cone filter or just the turbo spooling up.
I have no idea how to use the AVC-r controller to turn it down ... Any pointers or someone local to Hertfordshire know what they're doing ..?
Thanks
Jack
Old 26 March 2015, 11:38 PM
Bugeye01jack
Scooby Newbie

Also wandering how much hassle / cost it is to remove the AVC-r entirely and put engine to standard...

Thanks,
Jack
Old 27 March 2015, 12:18 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

if the stock 2port solenoid is still there it should just need wired back up and plumbed in. Any decent garage should be able to do it for you. 1.2 bar midrange isn't going to wreck much, but the 1bar at end is going to be very close to the fuel system limits with the standard fuelling table.

The intercooler doesn't need to be upgraded for a TD05, the wrx one is good for maybe 350ish.

If you can snap some fotos of the turbo and any writing on it we should be able to say if it's standard or not.

You can flick through the AVCR manual:
http://www.fd3s.net/avc-r_manual.pdf
Looks like you have setting A, setting B and OFF so maybe check both A and B settings ne might be more normal.
Old 27 March 2015, 12:18 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugeye01jack
Also wandering how much hassle / cost it is to remove the AVC-r entirely and put engine to standard...

Thanks,
Jack
I can send u the manual for the avcr via email, easy to turn down the boost if needed. An avcr is a bit of a strange accesory for an standard/unmapped car, get it booked into a rolling road and have it checked as it may well have been remapped in the past as 1.25bar peak would be about right and may be running perfectly safe.
Old 27 March 2015, 07:50 AM
Bugeye01jack
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bludgod
if the stock 2port solenoid is still there it should just need wired back up and plumbed in. Any decent garage should be able to do it for you. 1.2 bar midrange isn't going to wreck much, but the 1bar at end is going to be very close to the fuel system limits with the standard fuelling

The intercooler doesn't need to be upgraded for a TD05, the wrx one is good for maybe 350ish.

If you can snap some fotos of the turbo and any writing on it we should be able to say if it's standard or not.

You can flick through the AVCR manual:
http://www.fd3s.net/avc-r_manual.pdf
Looks like you have setting A, setting B and OFF so maybe check both A and B settings ne might be more normal.
Got a few pics of small figures on the housing. My number is 07773088052 please text me with your number so I can send these to someone if you didn't mind..?
Any rolling roads near Hertfordshire..? Anyone local to Hertfordshire able to come and look with me .?
Thanks a lot for replies guys- I will look through the manual this evening

Jack
Old 27 March 2015, 09:25 PM
Bugeye01jack
Scooby Newbie

Default AVC-r

hi guys looking through the manual- don't really want to attempt this myself! Is there anyone on here who can help me lower the boost levels to the most ideal level. Need someone that knows how to work these controllers. Because I don't wanna start flicking through the menus considering I don't really what I'm doing with stuff like this.
Just want to lower boost levels to drive the car without risking damage. If I need to remove the controller than so be it- I would be more than happy with a standard WRX setup.

My number is 07773088052 located in Hertfordshire.

Thanks
Jack

Last edited by Bugeye01jack; 27 March 2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 27 March 2015, 09:28 PM
FlatoutDave
Scooby Regular

Don't all re-mapped car cars need a 3 way boost solenoid?
Old 27 March 2015, 09:33 PM
Bugeye01jack
Scooby Newbie

Flatoutdave

I know the standard is a 2-port valve. But if it's an updated one for the boost controller - would that mean that it would have been remapped ..?

Thanks
Jack
Old 27 March 2015, 09:36 PM
FlatoutDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye01jack
Flatoutdave

I know the standard is a 2-port valve. But if it's an updated one for the boost controller - would that mean that it would have been remapped ..?

Thanks
Jack
It's a possibility as 3 port is usually used when a car is going to be mapped.
Old 27 March 2015, 09:38 PM
Bugeye01jack
Scooby Newbie

Also if I get rid of the boost controller - Will I need something else to control boost?
If I am not driving on the red all the time or living with the loud pedal on the floor is it even a major problem running the 1.2bar - 1.0bar on a standard engine ..? I only give it the beans every so often.

Jack
Old 27 March 2015, 09:40 PM
Bugeye01jack
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by FlatoutDave
It's a possibility as 3 port is usually used when a car is going to be mapped.
Unless it was fitted and hasn't had the map yet. But it runs, boosts and climbs so smoothly it seems to have been all set up properly.
The receipt for the boost controller and dump valve and turbo timer were all in 2006. So the car has been running like this for a fair old time now with our issues... But I have only just got it and am perhaps overthinking it
Thanks
Jack
Old 27 March 2015, 09:42 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Just find a dyno shop and get it tested - best way to be sure and they can adjust for you if It's bad?
Old 27 March 2015, 09:47 PM
FlatoutDave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
Just find a dyno shop and get it tested - best way to be sure and they can adjust for you if It's bad?
Ditto
Old 27 March 2015, 09:49 PM
Bugeye01jack
Scooby Newbie

Okay thanks chaps sounds like only way to clear it up

Thanks again will post update soon !