Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sky Q

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2016, 11:58 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky Q

Whos got it?

is it any good?
Old 01 November 2016, 01:13 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not yet, because it only works with sky broadband as far as i know for the wifi'd boxes.

I guess its a good idea, it gets decent reviews, seeing as any box in any room can sync with the main box over wifi and they don't need their own sat cable feeds.

Record 4 programmes and watch a 5th, Ultra HD available, very limited channels though.

£12 extra for existing subs + fitting, that's about it.
Old 01 November 2016, 09:08 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

It's ok. Recording extra progs at the same time is the biggest bonus. No wires for the bedroom box is fine but i already had the wires in place from the multiroom on the Sky+
I often have to reboot the mini box as it locks up (twice a week maybe) which seems to be a very common problem - not a major problem.
I've not got a 4k tv yet so haven't experienced that element although looking forward to it when the roll out more channels
Old 01 November 2016, 11:59 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
It's ok. Recording extra progs at the same time is the biggest bonus. No wires for the bedroom box is fine but i already had the wires in place from the multiroom on the Sky+
I often have to reboot the mini box as it locks up (twice a week maybe) which seems to be a very common problem - not a major problem.
I've not got a 4k tv yet so haven't experienced that element although looking forward to it when the roll out more channels
As above really , not bad.
Like the fact I can move the boxes around the house and up to the man cave in the garden when needed.
Mine does tend to have failed recordings on a weekly basis but I just get them off demand instead.
I do have to reboot when my daughters box drops off now and again ,ie no tv guide showing or recordings wont play.
Old 02 November 2016, 08:01 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Got it a few days ago,can't really comment on it yet but my dog seems to like it as the fecking thing ate the expensive remote control before I had it 24 hours!!!
Old 02 November 2016, 08:56 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Smithys STI
Got it a few days ago,can't really comment on it yet but my dog seems to like it as the fecking thing ate the expensive remote control before I had it 24 hours!!!
The touch remote is a PITA so avoid using it. The other remote is better but both have the same problem of being too slippery. The SKY+ remote was much better with the grippy battery cover and was probably better as it was far more chunky
Old 02 November 2016, 09:32 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smithys STI

Whoops lol
Old 30 November 2016, 05:00 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

The mini boxes drop out often even using a booster which I wasn't overjoyed in having to use anyway. I'm told my house might be too big for it!! The truth is (in some cases) it isn't fit for the market yet. This appears to be an unanimous conclusion shared by Sky staff who are fed up with complaints. My home WIFI is superb and can be received at any point of the home and lots of the garden without a booster. A Sky Q mini box in an upstairs bedroom struggles to receive a signal from the main box with a booster in a downstairs room. The distance isn't anywhere near "taxing".

Fortunately I got Sky Q for the same price as my original package and because of the hassle they are also crediting my account £12 for 3 months or until they fix it as though I was paying for it. Their fix is to send an engineer to hardwire the box which although fixing the problem defeats the whole object of Sky Q and its marketing.

Oh, and I phoned up suggesting the engineer could bring another mini box with him to hardwire that while he was here. Apparently that isn't how things work and I'd have to book a separate visit but it'd be mid January 2017. I explained I was trying to save another visit but their computers don't allow it. What an absolute shower of turd way to conduct business. In the end a manager suggested hijacking the engineers van for a spare minibox that he might be carrying and getting the engineer to ring it in for a job number that instant to allow him to fit it. That will be my line of approach.
Old 21 December 2016, 08:39 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Made Watchdog tonight due to the issues with them disconnecting/freezing/bad wifi connection etc, oh dear.
Old 21 December 2016, 09:49 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Glad I didn't bother. They wanted £150 just for the box's to be installed. Sod that
Old 21 December 2016, 11:49 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Wifi has been fine with mine. Still locks up but far less frequently.
I keep getting split second sound drops which are quite off putting. I've not yet tried other hdmi ports or optical yet.
I have however acquired a 60" 4K tv and I'm loving the picture. Can't wait for more 4K content to be rolled out
Old 22 December 2016, 09:35 AM
Matty81
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I decided not to go for it because the greedy *******s wanted £100 for install. Been a customer for the last 10 years so I thought it was a bit cheeky of them to be honest. don't need to record 5 programs at a time as I have 2 boxes anyway, 1 for me 1 for the missus. Don't have a 4K tv so I didn't think it was worth it.
Old 23 December 2016, 01:13 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Update:

Sky have offered another wedge of discount for 6 months and thrown in another mini box free to offset the cost of having an independent hardwire both boxes. Unfortunately my independent was sick on the day of the job and Sky were due out the following day to deliver the mini box and connect it to the supposed installed hardwire. Instead I got Sky to install it via WIFI and use another booster to save cancelling the appointment and going back down the huge queue.

The result is both mini boxes work better than when there was just the one box. Possibly the 2 boosters aid the network mesh and compliment the system overall. I'm still going the hardwire route though as soon as my independent returns fit for duty.
Old 23 December 2016, 01:43 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Tub's is drunk. Tidgy isn't on this thread.

Last edited by Spoon; 23 December 2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 23 December 2016, 03:05 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubby--tommy
Oh yes he is . On the bog is his new username
Ah right.
Old 23 December 2016, 07:47 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Oh yes he is . On the bog is his new username
Not sure where you got that from? I havn't been on for many years (hence not knowing my old account info) tidgy was last active on 19th october according to their account

If I was on then I think i'd know my login details
Old 24 December 2016, 12:43 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by On-the-bog
Not sure where you got that from? I havn't been on for many years (hence not knowing my old account info) tidgy was last active on 19th october according to their account

If I was on then I think i'd know my login details
because you dont remember a user name you posted under for many years on a daily basis?
Old 24 December 2016, 11:20 AM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
because you dont remember a user name you posted under for many years on a daily basis?
Do you remember everything from 5 years ago?

Sorry my memory isn't that good anymore
Old 24 December 2016, 12:21 PM
On-the-bog
Scooby Regular

hahah tidgy you make me laugh, you couldnt resist discussing apple as usual all it needs is someone to mention dodgy scoobyclinic and its no.1 fan boy will have a crywank
You been on the ale already?