Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

New iPhone 6S Plus

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2015, 05:08 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New iPhone 6S Plus

Well I decided to take the plunge and today the new phone arrived. I thought I would be safe in my migration from my old Android (running v4.04) and using Apple's new "Move to iOS" app, but no. However much I try it won't do it. The best I've got so far is a message "Unable to migrate - try again later" as if something's going to change I've taken off any wifi optimising apps from the Android, and still it won't work. Also plenty of memory available (32gb going to 128gb.

It's not my first Apple device, but it's not a good start. Might have to wait until my tech-savvy son comes home at the weekend I suppose.
Old 28 September 2015, 06:47 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

see if this helps

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201196
Old 29 September 2015, 09:35 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Thanks, but I've already seen that. Decided in the end to delete all my messages from the old phone and it eventually worked - well, to some degree anyway. I'm currently effectively setting it all up from scratch again.

Keeps me off the streets I suppose.
Old 29 September 2015, 09:43 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once it's all up and running, let us know what you think of it. I'm so chuffed with my ordinary 6 plus.
Old 29 September 2015, 12:28 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LSherratt
Once it's all up and running, let us know what you think of it. I'm so chuffed with my ordinary 6 plus.
Me too, but my Fandroid nephew who's working in a phone shop tells me it's definitely an upgrade. I'm trying to avoid seeing one as I don't have the toy money right now.
Old 29 September 2015, 04:18 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like they have done a good job fixing the 6's issues, in particular the bending.

Sure it will be a massive seller.
Old 30 September 2015, 10:18 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

All up and running now. It is very quick and there's no sign of bending yet. I can't compare it with earlier versions but I'll show it to my son at the weekend and no doubt he'll compare it to his iphone 6. Went for the leather cover from Apple but finding it a bit slippery so might swap for a rubberised version at some point.
3D touch very cool.
Old 15 October 2015, 03:56 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like Apple took a retrograde step in terms of the quality of the camera 6S. It's no better than 6 and in some cases worse. The competition has moved onwards and upwards and Apple takes one step forward and two steps back!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...a-disappoints/
Old 15 October 2015, 05:51 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

LOL. You're such a sucker for click bait.
Old 15 October 2015, 06:54 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Yes, that's right and I googled it too so Google are making money out of Apple's disappointing results.
Old 15 October 2015, 07:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by XRS
All up and running now. It is very quick and there's no sign of bending yet. I can't compare it with earlier versions but I'll show it to my son at the weekend and no doubt he'll compare it to his iphone 6. Went for the leather cover from Apple but finding it a bit slippery so might swap for a rubberised version at some point.
3D touch very cool.

The 6 is a slippery thing; dropped mine loads already (mostly on carpet or caught it with my foot but even so the case edges dent very easily; far more than a 5s.

I know I have a 6s instead of a plus, but even so it's slippery shape and size means it's eager to fall out my pockets when I sit down; it's too big for the shirt pocket and I'm not putting it my back pocket for fear of bending it.

I also had trouble restoring it from my old iPhone via iTunes, turns out the iTunes guide omits some important details before attempting to do a restore (must go through all the initial setup on the phone first; can't just plug it in and restore like it implies).

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 October 2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 16 October 2015, 08:16 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I know I have a 6s instead of a plus, but even so it's slippery shape and size means it's eager to fall out my pockets when I sit down; it's too big for the shirt pocket and I'm not putting it my back pocket for fear of bending it.

It's a phone, function over form, forget the look. Wrap it in a gel case and screen protector. My phone is several years old now, dropped countless times and survived. I took it out the case recently to add 128gb memory card , with a wipe down it looked brand new. I see so many kids with iphones, dented scratched with smashed screens, even my daughter is on screen 3 on her iphone 6. She won't pay for it any more, because it not worth it.

Last edited by andy97; 16 October 2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 16 October 2015, 08:28 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonc
Looks like Apple took a retrograde step in terms of the quality of the camera 6S. It's no better than 6 and in some cases worse. The competition has moved onwards and upwards and Apple takes one step forward and two steps back!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...a-disappoints/
So you went out of your way to find a thread from 2 weeks ago and posted that, just to try and troll Jack... Go you
Old 16 October 2015, 09:14 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Andy without stating the obvious; you don't think I've done that? I've already took two cases back; one wouldn't stay on due to the shape of the phone and the thicker one makes a phone that's already too big to being impracticably big for single handed use.

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 October 2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 16 October 2015, 09:27 AM
Willowsdad
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my 6s yesterday and love it. Agree with it being slippery though, does make you worried about dropping it constantly. I've got an otter box commuter case on its way today, so I'll let you know how it is. My last one lasted for 3 years on my 5 and 5s, with no damage at all. Being an air con engineer it's constantly leant on in my pocket or being used as a torch, so the new one has a lot to live up to.
Old 16 October 2015, 10:33 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I loved my 6 plus without the case, lovely looking thing, but I drop phones and generally don't treat them with much respect so case it is. The Apple cases are always a good shout, I would have the rubberised one if I wasn't such a fan of the Quadlock system.
Old 16 October 2015, 10:36 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by neil-h
So you went out of your way to find a thread from 2 weeks ago and posted that, just to try and troll Jack... Go you
You'd think with the amount of times he's tried and ended up with egg on his face he'd give up but no. And lets not forget that I was banned for trolling for suggesting someone buy a Mac over a Windows machine, way to go moderators.
Old 16 October 2015, 11:31 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
What are you on about, I wasn't trolling, I didn't quote him, my post wasn't directed at anyone in particular and it's not even his thread which is still on the first page of this forum! I posted something about the iPhone 6S on an iPhone 6S thread! I own a iPhone 6, it's on topic, but I get accused of tolling and posting clickbait instead!

Last edited by jonc; 16 October 2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 16 October 2015, 01:38 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always put a new phone in a case a few days after receiving it. Never broken or damaged an iPhone in 5 years of ownership. With my latest phone (iPhone 6 plus) I have one of those clear see-through rubber sort of cases which protects the back and wraps around the corners and edges. No need for a screen protector IMO. Once every month I'll take it out the case and wipe the phone and case down as dust will eventually work its way behind. Always comes up looking like new and helps with resale value too.