Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

brakes uneven wear

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2013, 02:05 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question brakes uneven wear

My brakes are performing as well as they should on my WRX bugeye. I also notice a scratchy noise at low speed as the car comes to a halt.

I dropped it into a local garage who said that the front and rear pads need changing and the the discs have a slight groove and are 'borderline'.

They did say that there left side has worn more than the right and thee may be a more serious problem. Is this a worry?

I have seen drilled and grooved discs with brembo pads on ebay for less than the garage can supply pattern parts - is this a good idea?

Also, are braided lines worth the extra £60 plus cost of fitting and fluid change?

Thanks for your help.
Old 17 February 2013, 07:36 PM
andywrxppp
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uneven wear left to right is a bad thing on any car. They should wear evenly broadly speaking. It may be indicative of a sticking caliper, or inferior parts.

I personally wouldn't bother with braided lines, you need to get what is fitted to the car working properly and then decide if it's in need of improvement. You'll get no improvement in braking power, merely a very slight improvement in feel. If you've done everything else you can do and are still unhappy then it maybe worth it imo.