Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Help needed: info on warped Prodrive/Alcons

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2002, 01:04 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had a problem with their Prodrive/Alcons warping, or where the discs/pads have needed to be replaced after an unreasonably short timescale (eg < 5000 miles) and whether it was replaced under warranty.

I've had a disputed warranty claim on-going for almost a year now and could do with input from anyone who's also had problems.
Old 10 May 2002, 01:50 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kryten,

I've no real-life experience of the Prodrive disk upgrades, but my old Dealer told me @ the 7500mile service that my std discs were warped and had small hairline cracks. They had no problems replacing them under warranty.

I think you'd have a fight getting the pads replaced, but if the discs have warped then I don't see why not.

Unless they can prove or feel you didn't bed them in properly - how they could tell, I don't know

And, more to the point, did they tell you how to do this properly?

Stefan

Old 15 May 2002, 12:57 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

The bedding in instructions aren't brilliant eg they don't say how long it should take to slow from 70-30mph (3 seconds, 10 seconds?).

However, the only reason given by Subaru is 'the car has been used on a track'.
Old 15 May 2002, 01:37 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Martin

"How do they know that" ? (sorry...)

This is the same subaru that takes their customers to a track to launch the P1, the STI, the UK300, ... ?

Does the warranty on the brakes specifically exclude track use? if it doesn't, I'd argue that you should be able to expect to use the car on a track...

Good luck with this. Not sure I've helped at all, but good luck all the same
Old 15 May 2002, 01:48 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

They know that because I told my dealer that's what they were for and also because I emailed prodrive to ask about track pads.

I was one of the people they took to Donington to have a go in the P1!

This has been on-going for almost a year, I bought the Prodrive option over APs because of the 'warranty' and I intend to fight all the way.

I'd also be interested in anyone who has told dealers/prodrive/subaru about going on track and had any sort of response.....
Old 15 May 2002, 03:37 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Kryten,
Given the hassle your having with your disks, if you were now making the choice between Alcon or AP which would you go for?
I am currently debating this decision and was going Alcon...
Old 15 May 2002, 03:53 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Mart, before my first track day I fitted uprated Prodrive pads all round on my UK00 (DS2000). I innocently thought the brakes would be okay. Well they were... for almost three laps

I limped around a bit longer but they got worse and finally one disc cracked - by which I mean you could see daylight through it, not just normal surface crazing. I fitted some new Bremsport discs at the track, but had warped those too by the end of the day.

Took the OEM discs back to official dealer (Welch Group, Cambridge) who immediately credited the cost of the Bremsports off my next bill as they knew full well I was going on track.

Hope that helps.

I also think Nick's comment about the P1 test drives is relevant and, as I've said before why do Prodrive produce two brake upgrades for the Impreza? If the Alcons are not up to track days then by the same measure the standard brakes cannot be suitable for a shopping trolley.

Good luck,

Richard.
Old 15 May 2002, 08:55 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Kryten,

What the hell is the point in paying £1500 for high-performance brakes, when they don't want yout to take them on track

I'm with you; I'd fight them all the way too.

Stefan
Old 16 May 2002, 10:54 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

You have mail

Richard