Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

ABS issues

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2012, 11:27 PM
v8-fd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS issues

I apologise in advance if this has been covered before. I'm sure it will have, but having searched I cannot find anything that I am sure relates to my issue or my car.

I bought my car about 3 weeks ago, its a UK '54 WRX Wagon. I noticed just the other day that the ABS wasn't working. Anyway, upon further investigation I noticed there is no ABS light on the dash when I turn the ignition on . I'm sure there should be, but if I am wrong please correct me. Im not going to point the finger at the previous owner just yet, at least not until I have confirmed something, but with an mot dated one week before the date of purchase, surely this should have been picked up. The braking system has got to be the single most important part of the mot surely.

Basically, what I would like to know is how to go about fault finding. The first thing you should know is that it is a wrx, and has had an STI instrument panel retro-fitted. I'm guessing not, but could this be the reason the ABS light is not functional? I'm sure I'll find the bulb is actually missing. After all of the other bodges I have found on the car since I bought it, this unfortunately wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. I will dismantle it tomorrow and make sure there is a working bulb in it before I go any further. Once I have done this, what is the procedure for finding and interpreting any codes? LIke I say, I appreciate its probably a common question. If anybody can point me in the direction of the relevant info that relates directly to my car it would be much appreciated.
Old 02 September 2012, 03:38 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

it depends on the exact age of the STi cluster but they aren't always compatible so this scenario is highly likely...............
Old 02 September 2012, 04:17 PM
v8-fd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have no idea how old the instrument panel is as the previous owner fitted it, is there anything to determine age when I remove them?

supposing this is the reason for having no warning light, I'm presuming this wouldnt stop the abs from working? so I still need to find the cause of the fault
Old 02 September 2012, 07:22 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

without the clocks completing the circuit i dont believe the system is fully operational so this could be the exact reason the ABS would't work

did you happen to get the original clocks to prove??
Old 02 September 2012, 07:44 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

We're done similar like previous owner and many owners of WRX(swapping STi clocks to the WRX),what I know ABS light will appear(CEL) on the dash,if speedo cluster is from DCCD STi,Diff temp will appear too...

But ABS is working when this light appear on the dash,WRX don't have DCCD and this Diff temp can be easily removed if someone know how to do

If you are not sure,visit someone who have Subaru Select Monitor and he can check for the ABS errors or you can do this via test cables which are under steering column

As I said,ABS should be working when you are swap the speedo cluster

Jura