Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

need a good alloy wheel cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2012, 08:23 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default need a good alloy wheel cleaner

right then folks,me and my mate both work very long hours and the only thing we look forward to is cleaning our cars at the weekend so he brings his evo round to mine and we drag the cleaning kit out,now we are both running pretty monstrous brakes up front (especially me) and the brake dust given off is of huge volume plus we work down a quarry so there is sand/concrete dust aswell

we have been using turtle wax wheel cleaner which we find really good,we wet the wheels then spray with the cleaner and go for a cuppa while it soaks in then jet wash off and it removes 90% of the dust then its just minimal scrubbing with the wheel brush-the trouble is its £7 a bottle and we are getting thru a bottle every 2 weeks (we both have large multi-spoke wheels) so i would like to buy some stuff in bulk maybe a 5ltr bottle or even better a 25ltr drum

any body got any suggestions as to whats good? there is no problem with the turtle wax stuff its purely the small bottles that are a problem

heres what we have been using

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255235
Old 26 August 2012, 08:26 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the shreksta
right then folks,me and my mate both work very long hours and the only thing we look forward to is cleaning our cars at the weekend so he brings his evo round to mine and we drag the cleaning kit out,now we are both running pretty monstrous brakes up front (especially me) and the brake dust given off is of huge volume plus we work down a quarry so there is sand/concrete dust aswell

we have been using turtle wax wheel cleaner which we find really good,we wet the wheels then spray with the cleaner and go for a cuppa while it soaks in then jet wash off and it removes 90% of the dust then its just minimal scrubbing with the wheel brush-the trouble is its £7 a bottle and we are getting thru a bottle every 2 weeks (we both have large multi-spoke wheels) so i would like to buy some stuff in bulk maybe a 5ltr bottle or even better a 25ltr drum

any body got any suggestions as to whats good? there is no problem with the turtle wax stuff its purely the small bottles that are a problem

heres what we have been using

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_255235
isnt car shampoo enough, if the dust hasnt been baked on over months it should shift easily.
Old 26 August 2012, 08:32 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
isnt car shampoo enough, if the dust hasnt been baked on over months it should shift easily.
good point mate but if we cant get to wash our cars (weather/work etc) say for 2/3 weeks then its gonna be baked on a little
Old 26 August 2012, 08:36 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

good point mate but if we cant get to wash our cars (weather/work etc) say for 2/3 weeks then its gonna be baked on a little
ahh i have never needed a cleaner like that, i polished my wheels with the same polish as the paintwork and the brake dust comes off pretty easy with car shampoo.

arent these wheel cleaners slightly acidic?? maybe overkill if you look after your car cleaning wise, which it sounds like you do.
Old 26 August 2012, 08:40 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

ahh i have never needed a cleaner like that, i polished my wheels with the same polish as the paintwork and the brake dust comes off pretty easy with car shampoo.

arent these wheel cleaners slightly acidic?? maybe overkill if you look after your car cleaning wise, which it sounds like you do.
i think the turtle wax is yes (when your spraying it and the wind blows it down your throat its like being in a chemical warfare attack)

ive always looked after my cars and use the best products i can afford so dont mind shelling out for decent results
Old 26 August 2012, 08:41 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

i think the turtle wax is yes (when your spraying it and the wind blows it down your throat its like being in a chemical warfare attack)

ive always looked after my cars and use the best products i can afford so dont mind shelling out for decent results
maybe polish them with car polish and see how it goes, i can see why you want to keep them clean though with your front brakes
Old 26 August 2012, 08:43 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

maybe polish them with car polish and see how it goes, i can see why you want to keep them clean though with your front brakes
i will have a look at where i get my snow foam from see if they do anything

the scoob deserves the best matey
Old 26 August 2012, 09:00 AM
winston69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

auto finesse imperial or auto bright very cherry
IronX is also very good but can remove any wax/sealant if used reguarly
Ive used them all and im sticking with imperial
Old 26 August 2012, 09:02 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by winston69
auto finesse imperial or auto bright very cherry
IronX is also very good but can remove any wax/sealant if used reguarly
Ive used them all and im sticking with imperial
can you buy it in bulk?
Old 26 August 2012, 09:08 AM
winston69
Scooby Regular

Oh and stop using that turtle rubbish!
That is to acidic and will strip any protection off, which is why you're finding the need to use such a harsh cleaner in the first place
I'd scrub them one last time with the turtle and then apply a wheel sealant, poor boys wheel sealant is supposed to be good for the cost. And then never use the turtle again and just clean with finesse imperial when needed, but the dust should come off much easier after sealing anyway
Old 26 August 2012, 09:11 AM
winston69
Scooby Regular

You don't need bulk, the reason you think you do is because the cleaner you've been using has stripped all protection so the brake dust is baking onto the wheels
Do a good seal every 6 months and most of the dust will just wash off with your snow foam, use imperial to shift the little that doesn't
Old 26 August 2012, 09:13 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by winston69
You don't need bulk, the reason you think you do is because the cleaner you've been using has stripped all protection so the brake dust is baking onto the wheels
Do a good seal every 6 months and most of the dust will just wash off with your snow foam, use imperial to shift the little that doesn't
ok will give it a try next week when we do the wash,i will order some stuff this week

learn something new every day
Old 26 August 2012, 10:23 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

I never bother with wheel cleaners any more, no matter how long between washed but for a non acidic, environmently friendly cleaner Muc Off is very good I used to used the bicycle stuff on mine (when I did use cleaners).