Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Attempted Thefts??

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2012, 04:25 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempted Thefts??

As titled above I've had what I believed to be 5 attempted thefts of my wheels over the past year and a bit. Had the cops in for the last 2, but now I'm starting to wonder

Usually it's the 2 locking wheel nuts that are removed on the side facing away from my house, regardless of which ever way the car is facing. On a couple of occasions some of the nuts were loosened. I've changed the brand several times and now I have McGuards on there. Replaced the old set in November after another suspected attempt, and the ******* have had another go last Friday FFS... this time they only got one off.

I'm starting to question whether these are just coming loose??? They're all torqued up an **** and I there's no vibration to mention so they should be OK. I'd imgine if they did work their way loose, they'd either come back on me and damage the car, or I'd be hearing report on the local news that innocent pedestrians have been shot in the head by a locking wheel nut??

They're only Inovit Redlines FFS, hardly worth nicking as they're cheap as chips to buy new. So why would anyone wanna nick'em? TBH I'm getting absolutely fcuked off with it now, one time I didn't realise until I drove up the road with the Mrs & kids in the car. If I hear any noises outside in the night and I'm running outside frothing at the mouth like a rabbid dog ready to skin the barstewards! It's ruining my sex life!!

Joking apart... any ideas anyone?

Last edited by Scoober-Dubs; 16 January 2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Typo fix
Old 16 January 2012, 05:46 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do the wheelnuts have the correct taper for those particular wheels?
With the correct mating taper and torqued to the right figure, the nuts simply should not loosen!

JohnD
Old 16 January 2012, 06:28 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Use some threadlock. It`s not permanent and at least it`ll confirm either way.
Old 16 January 2012, 07:59 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Do the wheelnuts have the correct taper for those particular wheels?
With the correct mating taper and torqued to the right figure, the nuts simply should not loosen!

JohnD
Yes mate, they're McGuard's; got'em from ScoobyParts. I don't think they're coming loose tbh, I've been trying to thing of another potential reason... foul play I suspect
Old 16 January 2012, 08:01 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
Use some threadlock. It`s not permanent and at least it`ll confirm either way.
Hadn't thought of that... I'll give that a try.
Old 16 January 2012, 10:37 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoober-Dubs
Yes mate, they're McGuard's; got'em from ScoobyParts. I don't think they're coming loose tbh, I've been trying to thing of another potential reason... foul play I suspect
What I meant was, that depending on whether your wheels have steel inserts in the stud holes or just drilled in the wheel alloy, may dictate the angle of the seating for the wheelnut. Did the wheels come with their own wheelnuts? If they did, it's possible the seating angle could be different to the standard Subaru wheelnuts and the McGuards, having the Subaru seating angle, will not seat properly. Just a thought!

JohnD
Old 17 January 2012, 10:56 AM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

What I meant was, that depending on whether your wheels have steel inserts in the stud holes or just drilled in the wheel alloy, may dictate the angle of the seating for the wheelnut. Did the wheels come with their own wheelnuts? If they did, it's possible the seating angle could be different to the standard Subaru wheelnuts and the McGuards, having the Subaru seating angle, will not seat properly. Just a thought!

JohnD
No they didn't have their own nuts but in general it's the lockers that tend to go missing, and the time the nuts were loosened it was just on one side. I have D1 Spec aluminum nuts on there and they have the right seating angle so do the lockers

I'm going to start checking them with a wheel brace daily to see if they start to loosen.
Old 17 January 2012, 11:37 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Have used the standard Subaru wheel nuts & locking nuts on my Inovite Redlines, not had 1 come loose yet!
Old 17 January 2012, 11:44 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you work at homebase ? just been looking at your pics I am not far from there

Other thing to check is if they have been refrurbed or overpainted at the end of the shaft as you really need metal on metal as the nuts can loosen mating with painted surfaces
Old 17 January 2012, 02:28 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Do you work at homebase ? just been looking at your pics I am not far from there

Other thing to check is if they have been refrurbed or overpainted at the end of the shaft as you really need metal on metal as the nuts can loosen mating with painted surfaces
No mate, I don't work there but I live round the corner from there and it's a handy spot for taking my pics. No refurbs either, I've had it all from new. I've defo starting to think they were attempted thefts
Old 17 January 2012, 03:35 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

You could always undo all your wheel nuts, jack your car up and leave it for the night. If the wheels are still there in the morning it’s the nuts at fault!
Old 17 January 2012, 03:49 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do them all up tidy and then grease them up. Soon see if they have been touched if they're smeared
Old 17 January 2012, 03:53 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Do them all up tidy and then grease them up. Soon see if they have been touched if they're smeared
Better still, wire them up to the mains!

JohnD
Old 17 January 2012, 03:58 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Better still, wire them up to the mains!

JohnD
This is the preferred option
Old 18 January 2012, 01:06 AM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

cheap cctv system
Old 18 January 2012, 03:28 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

agree about cctv. or webcam at an upstairs window pointing at the car and see if u get any footage.
Old 21 January 2012, 10:03 PM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

Are the old locking nuts still left by car or completly gone
surely you would have damage on the nut if attempted theft as i had to smash a socket on my locking nuts (lost key) and there was damage on the nut
Old 22 January 2012, 06:27 PM
Scoober-Dubs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bealescooby
Are the old locking nuts still left by car or completly gone
surely you would have damage on the nut if attempted theft as i had to smash a socket on my locking nuts (lost key) and there was damage on the nut
No they're always gone... further developments though. I was getting some bits out of the car the other night when I came back from the gym. Heard a couple of guys walking down the road talking about the car, one said "what this one?", to which I stood up. They were quick taken back as they clearly didn't see me. The one started saying, yeah I've got one of these, a non turbo one... they carried on walking up the road and casually turned back after passing another 3 cars, and then the same guy engages me and asks me if it's a VXR?

Now this doesn't automatically qualify him as a thief, but it does qualify him as a complete bell end who doesn't know his Vauxhalls from his imprezas; if he did have one he would know that they didn't make a VXR. But what I did find odd was the fact that they just walked up the road to check out my car, and then walked back up the road and jumped into an old Puma. Didn't get the index as the car was too far up the road but something was defo a miss

I made it quite obviously to them that I'd seen their faces up close, so we'll see what happens next.
Old 22 January 2012, 06:36 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Very dodgy!