Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

New EBC Blue Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2010, 02:38 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New EBC Blue Stuff

Good day ladies and gents, Just writing to let you all know how I am finding the new blue stuff on my Blob STI.

Well, Very kindly they arrived on my doorstep free of charge for a trial from Andy at EBC. Very decent of him I think.

I fitted them on the Fri and there were no issues there. They replaced my front Pagid blue's which still have a lot of life in them in fact they are almost new, and also my rear Performance friction Z type compounds pads. Front discs are Performance friction, rears are OE. The first thing I noticed, were the rears were now quiet like OEM pads, The clunk clip every time you reverse does grind you down. The fronts are also quiet.

Once fitted I never even noticed the new pads were in as they were responsive and perfect from the off. I would say there is more initial bite than the Pagid's but braking friction after that is around the same. No squeaking as yet either, was getting a bit from the rear with the PF's.

Day after fitting I was off down to Elvington airfield for a track day. Arrived signed on and got out on track. Now for the test. Got out a did a few laps going faster and faster each lap. Now my car is no slouch when it comes to power it has 430bhp approx, So the brakes were used in all of the corners, They performed faultlessly in all corners apart from the one after the long straight. Now that doesn't mean they died on me, Braking form 130 mph to 30 in approx 100m is asking a lot from most pads but I did manage to get some fade as well as had them smoking. Got a good whiff of the pads too, but I imagine this is because they are so new. The Pagids were a little stronger but they are also more expensive by about 60 quid on a good deal.
I am going to take them on the track again as soon as is possible and report on these again, I am thinking they might get better after being used more?

The next day I was off into the North Weardale Pennine's it is like Top gear country, the roads are awesome. Used the car in great anger and had total confidence in the brakes every time, Could not get them to fade and used them a lot. Did some unnecessary braking from good speeds and they still did all that I asked.

Brake dust on the fronts in much like my Pagids, cant say I have really noticed the difference to be fair. To be honest I wouldn't give a monkey's either. The car gets driven hard and a bit of dust and dirt is the last thing I am worried about.

In summary then I recommend these pads 100% for fast road use and give them a strong 8.5 out of 10 for the track. If you are running over 500BHP though I would be considering big brake kits. However, these are just my findings at Elvington I am sure on other tracks where the terminal speeds are not quite so high into hairpin turns then the EBC's will be fine.

Hope this helps anyone who is undecided on new pads and gives you food for thought. Apologies if it is too long winded too!

Thanks

Sean

Last edited by STi Lou; 16 September 2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 16 September 2010, 03:06 PM
Setright
Scooby Regular

Good info...thanks :-)
Old 16 September 2010, 03:46 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

thanks for sharing your findings very helpful
Old 28 September 2010, 11:21 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Give them some more miles to finish bedding, will most likely get better. Also, the PF pads you were using before would have left a layer of friction material on the disc which may not be helping.

Keep us updated.
Old 01 October 2010, 07:35 PM
STi Lou
Scooby Regular

Rgr Bob, good point.

Well not much else to report at the moment as car has just been used in daily driving duties.

Initial bite is still good and probably the best is ever has been with my set up. Even my wife commented how good the brakes are so they must be good!

Hoping to get on the track soon, will let you know how I get on.