WRX 04 Tyre recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2010, 10:34 AM
Hopper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX 04 Tyre recommendations

Hi Gents,
I have done my searches on the site for recommendations on tyres for a WRX PPP with the standard alloys and it seems the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta is highly regarded.
There are others mentioned including Goodyear Eagles, but very little mention of the standard Bridgestone RE050.
I have always run these and found them pretty good for road use, though they do feel a bit understeery at times and wear on the outer edge which is apparently normal.
My question is: if money was not a factor, would you go for the RE050s over the Vreddies or whatever?
I am looking for the best tyre with equivalent wear rate or better to the Bridgestones.
I am going to need a set of 4, so figure that now is the time to change if ever there was one.
The car is standard '04 WRX apart from the PPP kit.

Last edited by Hopper; 18 April 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 18 April 2010, 11:56 AM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go for the vreddies mate,only ever heard good things about them and thats what am putting on mine in a few wks
Old 18 April 2010, 10:32 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I've had 2 Blob WRX PPPs. I've tried RE050, RE040, GSD3s and Parada Spec 2. The GSD3s are best overall, the newer Assimetrics are said to be even better. The Paradas are freat in the dry, a bit twitchy in the wet if you push it... The RE050 are fair enough, but for the money, there's better tyres to be had.
Old 19 April 2010, 09:23 AM
Hopper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
I've had 2 Blob WRX PPPs. I've tried RE050, RE040, GSD3s and Parada Spec 2. The GSD3s are best overall, the newer Assimetrics are said to be even better. The Paradas are freat in the dry, a bit twitchy in the wet if you push it... The RE050 are fair enough, but for the money, there's better tyres to be had.
Thanks for the info gents, the mention of Goodyear Asymmetrics was an interesting one, never considered those but have seen some good reviews.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Go...Asymmetric.htm

I was ready to go for another set of RE050s, but reading threads on this site has led me to believe that there may be better options. I was just trying to narrow things down a bit.

I know the Bridgestones were developed for the car, so that is why I have always gone for them in the past. But the same thing happened with my bike and when I switched away to Michelins it was a revelation.

If anyone else has any thoughts I would be interested, but at the moment I think it is between the F1s or the Vreddies.
Old 19 April 2010, 09:33 AM
Matty WRX
Scooby Regular

Mate - I had F1's on my Lexus, never again!!! I found the sidewalls just too soft and found the car moved around to much for my liking!! Personal opinion of course...

I'm looking at new rims to replace my 17's at the mo - looks like I'm going to try some Uniroyal Rainsport 2's on any 18's I buy A good friend swears by them, so I thought I would give it a go either those of Verds...

Verds are supposed to be V good and have a decent rating on tyrereviews, would def check them out if i stayed on 17's.
Old 19 April 2010, 10:30 AM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

I have the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta on my spec c and so far i am very impressed with them, the level of grip they give is fantastic and the car handles very well on them, there is no hint of the tramlining you tend get with the bridgstones, my car has had a fast road geometry set up done, which i would advise anyone to have if you want to get the best out of your tyres and your car, its worth every penny and the difference it makes is amazing.
Old 19 April 2010, 06:41 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Ahhh, another tyre thread, did I mention Sessantas on this one? LOL.
Old 19 April 2010, 09:38 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Matty WRX
Mate - I had F1's on my Lexus, never again!!! I found the sidewalls just too soft and found the car moved around to much for my liking!! Personal opinion of course...

I'm looking at new rims to replace my 17's at the mo - looks like I'm going to try some Uniroyal Rainsport 2's on any 18's I buy A good friend swears by them, so I thought I would give it a go either those of Verds...

Verds are supposed to be V good and have a decent rating on tyrereviews, would def check them out if i stayed on 17's.
If you go for GSD3's, be sure to go for XL (extra load) or you will find the soft sidewall problem as per this post. ( go 91 as oposed to 83)
Old 19 April 2010, 10:55 PM
ratafinkoe
Scooby Newbie

why only try the verds if you stay on 17's, why not run verds on the 18's?
just wondering because i'm running toyo's on 18's but am about to switch to vredesteins
Old 20 April 2010, 08:21 AM
Matty WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ratafinkoe
why only try the verds if you stay on 17's, why not run verds on the 18's?
just wondering because i'm running toyo's on 18's but am about to switch to vredesteins
It was a cost/package thing only mate, also size - I've decided to get my 17's refurbed now, so can get some decent rubber for them. The only Vreds I could get in 215/45 would be the Centro, and I'm not to sure on trying them so think I'll order some Uniroyal rainsport2's

***********updated Ok - so I've been looking on-line at tyre options etc, in the end i've gone for a complete contradiction and have ordered from camskill x4 Goodyear F1 Asy for £340... I'll let you know what i think *****************

Last edited by Matty WRX; 20 April 2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 20 April 2010, 11:54 AM
Hopper
Scooby Regular

Default Choices, choices . . .

Many thanks for your feedback gents,
I am pretty sure I am going to go for a change this time and right now I am torn between the Eagle F1 Asymmetric XL which come in the standard size of 215/45R17 or the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas which only seem to be available in 225 size. I have just emailed them to ask whether they will fit okay.
Both tyres seem to come highly recommended on here, so I will await the response from Mr Vred before deciding.
They call them 'Summer' tyres on their website which is slightly worrying, but I guess there is a reason for that.
You can get information overload when looking at tyre alternatives can't you, so I am just trying to keep things simple.
I will be interested to read your thoughts Matty, as your car appears to be of similar spec to mine, though I rather like the sound of that fast road setup that Dantastic talks of.

Last edited by Hopper; 20 April 2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 20 April 2010, 12:14 PM
Matty WRX
Scooby Regular

Mate - I'll let you know how i get on.... wheels to be refurbed next week and then the tyres will be fitted

i have prodrive springs on my wrx mate, love them to bits
Old 20 April 2010, 11:16 PM
Hopper
Scooby Regular

Mate - I'll let you know how i get on.... wheels to be refurbed next week and then the tyres will be fitted

i have prodrive springs on my wrx mate, love them to bits
Interesting, I have mate with those and he likes them too.

I am a bit old though to be wanting a bone-hard ride and that is why I have stuck with the standard setup.

Do you think the ride is appreciably harder?

They lower the ride height a bit don't they? I think the car sits better on them.

Why do you like them so much?

Last edited by Hopper; 20 April 2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 20 April 2010, 11:31 PM
mrmarc
Scooby Regular

hopper,
ive been running the 225's after confirming with vreddy hq they will fit the 7j rims and work as they intended.
i can report ive had them fitted for around 10k with 30-40% tread left on them.
im very impressed with them.they grip well in the wet,dry and also performed well in the deep snow of late.
so dont worry about the summer rating they have...
hth
Old 21 April 2010, 12:02 AM
abc
Scooby Regular

Had RE050s when the car was new but replaced them with F1 GSD3s and noticed two things: the F1s have very squidgy walls so you have even less feel for what the tyres are doing but they are less prone to understeer than the Bridgestones.

GSD3s lasted about 22k miles but were tramlining badly for last couple of k. Replaced them with F1 Asymmetrics which are even less prone to understeer and even better in the wet, but again after about 22k they are beginning to tramline, though there's a good few k miles left in them. Will try Vredsteins next.

HTH
Old 21 April 2010, 12:10 AM
Mr-Confused
Scooby Regular

Another recomendation here for the Vredsteins. Coming up to 20,000 miles in 12 months and loads of tread left.

No complaints about how they handle either.
Old 21 April 2010, 08:06 AM
Matty WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hopper
Interesting, I have mate with those and he likes them too.

I am a bit old though to be wanting a bone-hard ride and that is why I have stuck with the standard setup.

Do you think the ride is appreciably harder?

They lower the ride height a bit don't they? I think the car sits better on them.

Why do you like them so much?
IMO - no mate, I don't find them much harder at all. I looked at so many Scoobs before buying mine, and didn't really get on with them. I couldn't really work out why, and then tried the Prodrive spring setup, it just feels better planted and more direct. I considered changing to 18's, but have canned that idea now and will see what the 215/45 Goodyear F1 Asymetrics are like. The Verd would have been my choice if it were available in 215 profile.

good luck sorting yours out
Old 21 April 2010, 09:29 AM
Hopper
Scooby Regular

Great information, and thanks to all.

I emailed Vredestein regarding the size differential and got the following reply:

"You are right that we aren't producing the Sessanta in the size 215/45 R17. But according to our technical data it is possible to mount the Ultrac Sessanta 225/45 R17 94Y XL.

If you decide to mount these tyres, Vredestein recommend a tyre pressure off 2,6 bar (38 PSI) in all the four tyres."

So, Matty you may want to consider that before making a final decision.
Old 21 April 2010, 10:12 AM
Matty WRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info, but I'm not convinced with any possible implication of changing the tyre size from OEM, just my own opinion of course

38 PSI seems really high! might be worth checking to see what others are doing? I run 33psi up front and 32psi in the rears....
Old 22 April 2010, 09:22 AM
Hopper
Scooby Regular

Matty (and others),

I emailed Vredestein again about the pressures and here is what they said.
Not trying to convince anyone, just putting it on record in case anyone considers the option in the future.

"The tyre pressure Vredestein advises is calculated on maximum load. It is normal for a tyre to lose a bit pressure after a while. Our experience is that people do not regularly check their tyre pressure. Vredestein advices this higher pressure because we want to avoid too low pressure which can irreparable damage the tyres, is responsible for more tyre wear, moreover it causes unnecessary fuel consumption.
With a bit extra pressure all these negative aspects will be avoided, the only thing is that the vehicle may feel less comfortable but in practice this comes out marginal.
If you check the tyre pressure regularly and drive lightly loaded then the tyre pressure can be reduced too 34 PSI."
Old 22 April 2010, 03:59 PM
Matty WRX
Scooby Regular

interesting info - i reckon most if not all of us must check our tyre pressures a couple of times a month at least
Old 22 April 2010, 07:28 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I ran 225 on my old 17's at 34 front and 32 rear although they were Assymetrics.
I now have 225/40/18 and use 32 front and 31 rear and that is fine. I religiously check my tyre pressures once a week without fail. 38 is far far too high and totally unnecessary. 38 is a full load pressure dont forget! All tyres would have to be increased if you are carrying full loads, etc anyway.
Old 23 April 2010, 05:47 AM
zayd
Scooby Regular

I've got the exact same car as yours and I put 4 Eagle F1 Assymetric's on mine about a year ago. I kid you not these are some serious tyres. I have never had them slip, no matter how hard I've tried and in any cornering condition.

I've used all the top makes of tyres in the past and can not rate these tyres more highly.
Old 28 April 2010, 09:31 PM
Matty WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zayd
I've got the exact same car as yours and I put 4 Eagle F1 Assymetric's on mine about a year ago. I kid you not these are some serious tyres. I have never had them slip, no matter how hard I've tried and in any cornering condition.

I've used all the top makes of tyres in the past and can not rate these tyres more highly.
Just had the same rubber fitted today, initial thoughts are that they are oh sooo quiet and they seem to feel very good underneath.. will post more once scrubbed in camskill x4 = 360
Old 29 April 2010, 10:26 AM
Hopper
Scooby Regular

Just had the same rubber fitted today, initial thoughts are that they are oh sooo quiet and they seem to feel very good underneath.. will post more once scrubbed in camskill x4 = 360
Matty, please do report later as I am still undecided and have a couple of weeks to go before taking the plunge. That is a very good price too.
Old 29 April 2010, 12:13 PM
Matty WRX
Scooby Regular

So far so good mate, love how quiet they are... took a few roundabouts on the way to work in a spirited manner lol... stuck like glue.... but must scrub in some more lol!!!
Old 10 May 2010, 12:02 PM
Hopper
Scooby Regular

Matty, how are things going? Still impressed?
Old 20 May 2010, 10:14 PM
pmarch bugeye
Scooby Regular

Put a full set of Eagle F1 Assymetric 215/45 R17 XL's on my standard MY01 Bugeye WRX today - replaced GSD3's which were my second set and I always thought they were OK. Early indications are that the Assymetric's are pretty good and possibly quieter asnd more stable than the GSD3's - but it's too early to tell because until they have scrubbed in and I have rechecked wheelnuts and pressures, I'm driving more slowly and taking it easy round corners. Another aspect is I had the general tracking checked/adjusted and that can surely add to the different feel. One (minor) thing is they look a pretty boring tyre and nowhere near as cool as the GSD3's. As an aisde, how/where do you get the fast road geometry adjustments done and how much? - and are there in fact various geometry options? - bearing in mind my car is original equipment and fully standard spec? Would rather spend reasonable money on making the best of what I have already got - unless that is 'something needs replacing'.......