Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

ABS locking on ice..??!

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2010, 12:37 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ABS locking on ice..??!

I've noticed that on really slippy compacted snow/ice that at slow speed (~ 5mph) the ABS on my 05 wrx (EBD quipped) allows full wheel lock up. Am I correct in thinking that this is normal and the abs system doesn't kick in at these low speeds..?

Also noticed the rears locking under similar circumstances, which is very unusual, having all 4 wheels locked..

Fitted new rear pads in the summer, so I'm thinking they have a better cold bite and therefore effecting brake balance in these extreme conditions..?!

FWIW I don't think it's anything to do with all 4 wheels locking together and fooling ABS speed sensors, as there is a slight delay in f-r locking..

Winter tyres are looking a strong possibility at this rate..lol..
Old 09 January 2010, 12:47 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

ABS can't deal with constant wheel slip so gets confused and will not work properly. Gentle progressive breaking and using the gears to slow down is the way to go
Old 09 January 2010, 04:28 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

jasonius That perfectly sums up my 03 WRX experiences also! At a Road Angel speed of 4 mph i have twice gone out my road into the main road!
Damn fukcing scary if you ask me when all the neighbours are driving out like experts. LOL.

Anyway, Did i really go up the A60 to Scoobyworld today at 30 mph? LOL. The road was bloody awful. So i came back via the 'right' way (M1) and that was completely clear and superb! I am mad. Why i went the A60, Hahaha.
Old 09 January 2010, 05:52 PM
Foofighter
Scooby Regular

It certainly does **** you up when it happens.I nearly ended up in the front of a lorry a couple of days ago and i was only doing 10mph but she just kept sliding
Old 09 January 2010, 07:34 PM
kennyb-specD
Scooby Newbie

its happened to me a couple of times this week saying a ****t ma pants was a understatment think the girl in the mx5 got a fright as well seeing a scooby coming towards here under no control what so ever.her face told a thousand words
Old 09 January 2010, 09:00 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Well having looked and looked, read and re-read more reviews, etc,etc, ZZZzzzzzzzz.
I finally went for 4 Nokian WRG2's via mytyres.co.uk.
Not cheap at all but i am gonna be prepared for more cold and next winter! LOL.
A small price to pay for my and others safety on the roads i think.
Old 09 January 2010, 10:09 PM
adman73
Scooby Regular

I think the abs system on the Impreza is designed not to operate below a certain speed, my wheels certainly lock up on snow/ice below about 10mph.

This may be to create a build up of snow in front of the tyre which in some situations can help stop you quicker than with abs operating all of the time. Personally I quite like how the abs works on my car, it's certainly not as sensitive as some cars I have driven on the snow.

However I agree that winter tyres are a good option and maybe a late Christmas present to myself.
Old 10 January 2010, 11:06 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

ABS can't function below certain speeds due (I guess) to problems reading low wheel speeds. Don't know what figures apply to scoob but I had a 4x4 sierra many years ago and the handbook said the system engaged when passing 6 mph when accelerating and disengaged at 3 mph slowing down.

At low speeds you're on your own and have to control the braking with your right foot.