Stoptech Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2009, 12:02 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoptech Brakes

Comments and opinions please
I want to do track days and the weak link the equation on my car has always been the brakes
I've had AP 4 Pots/AP 6 Pots and the disc material is CRAP.. this may well be a function of poorly sorted Brake pads (read Pagid... Blue/Black) or DS2500 that simply cant cope or DS3000 that turn to Glass rapidly... Pagid Blues do the same

I know this may also be a function of driving style but when I've taken a standard Audi S3 or WRX onto Track I've never had any issue with brakes - ok you get fade, but leave the car to cool down long enough its not so much of a problem and ultimately the brake pads are gone by the end of the day but the discs have never warped on std material

So why is it that with a car with more power but allegedly good Brakes the discs always warp... and I am not the only one....

I know that changing pads to say performance friction might help but as the Disc quality is so poor am looking for something better quality...

To be honest I'm totally hacked off with AP products - they should come with a warning that says 'this product is ****e quality'

I know that AP's are fine for road driving but you pay a lot of money so you should be able to take them on track with a car with over 450bhp.... and they should last several sessions not just a morning session (I let them cool down all the time but clearly not enough)

What are peoples opinions, if they know the product on StopTech - I have only heard good comments on these and am looking to sell my AP 4 Pots and recently acquired AP 6 pots
Old 20 September 2009, 03:50 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know anything about stoptech mate. But i have read all their whitepapers:
StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades
Old 21 September 2009, 09:38 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

we have found that AP discs seem to have gone backwards over recent years, though generally their calipers, etc. are no issue..............

for that reason i rarely use AP discs, having said that it also can depend on wether they are fitted correctly (as in "dialled-in") - their are normally other higher quality options of "AP pattern" discs that will interchange on your std kit..........

alyn
Old 21 September 2009, 09:58 AM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

AP calipers and PF discs?
Old 21 September 2009, 10:49 AM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

AP Calipers and AP Discs....
Old 21 September 2009, 05:08 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fangoria
AP Calipers and AP Discs....
No, I was suggesting keeping the AP calipers and trying PF discs. I've just got standard Brembos but the PF pads and discs are extremely affective on track. I know CSL owners running 6 pot AP's and PF discs...
Old 26 September 2009, 05:57 AM
snowman4us
Scooby Newbie

StopTech Kit is amazing, and the performance is nothing short of perfection.

Brake pad wear was on par with everything else. Would get about 4-6 Hard track days on a set of race pads (several corners would have speeds go from 200km/h to about 70km/h). Rotors so far have lasted 12 or so track days, and are finaly showing signs of wear. I could get about 3-4 more hard track days on them.

The kit ran was the 355x32 with the ST-40 (4 pison) Caliper.

Depending on the kit, but the 355 required 18" rims. However with race tires, I was able to out break several high end cars, including 997 GT3RS, Viper, Corvett and so forth. And NEVER had a single problem with overheating (I did run quite an aggresive compound on the pads though).

This was on a Street Preped class Time Attack Car here in the US.

You can see in the picture the rotors. This was after 10 Days of track use, and as you can see very little wear. And the nice thing is, after the rotors wear out its only 500.00 USD to get new outer rings for both sides.

And the car the kit was run on

Hope this helps.

PS. Big thanks to this BBK, but out of 6 Time Attack Events I placed 2times in 3rd place 2 Times in 2nd, 2 Times in 1st and a 1st place in a Subaru Vs EVO shoot out. And this was in a Street car running against Race cars. Outbreaking cars that are 300kilos lighter with equivelent size brakes is nothing short of impressive.

Last edited by snowman4us; 26 September 2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 28 September 2009, 01:35 AM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

I may have to bring them back in my erm.. heavy suitecase when I'm next in the States in a couple of weeks time!