Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Are EBC redstuff my problem?

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2009, 08:31 PM
GavinE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are EBC redstuff my problem?

A couple of months ago I replaced my brake pads in my bugeye for EBC Redstuff. I know alot of people don't like them however, it was what was fitted when I bought the car and I was very happy with the braking.

I've done 2 track days, first one on 'old' pads, and all was well.

Changed to the 'new' Kevlar/ceramic pads (Apparently they have change the compound), only to find that now my brake fluid boils and just noticed fractures in the front discs, with small heat/high spots within the groove segments. The discs are worn, but wearing even and are far from worn out. The pads are fitted correctly, move freely, and calipers aren't sticking.

I'm now going to change the fluid to 5.1 as recomended, but not sure what to do about the brakes?

Are the pads simply generating to much heat, or are the grooved discs that were fitted just an inferior product?

£££'s on big conversions isn't really an option for me, the car is used daily and might see another trackday before the end of the year.

Last edited by GavinE; 18 April 2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 18 April 2009, 08:49 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Performance Friction, Pagid, Mintex or Ferodo. I wore out Red Ceramics in less than 6k miles, even the OE pads managed 30k ! Once the discs are fractured I wouldn't want to run them too long, especially in extreme conditions like track. I always found standard discs were good enough with 5.1 fluid and braided lines, but I don't use brakes much on the road as I drive mostly Roadcraft.

Speak to Alyn at AS Performance.