The Tyre Question

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2009, 12:53 PM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Tyre Question

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am due to change my tyres in the near future but don't know what to go for, but I have a little short list.

Bridgestone RE070 - My car didn't have them on when I bought it
Vredestein Ultrac or Sportrac
Goodyear Eagle F1
Continental Sport Contact
Yoko Parada

I would like to know peoples opinions them if possible, how they grip in the dry/wet, how long they last, cost etc

Any other usual suspects that I have missed? Not really after Toyo's as I heard they don't last very long? Also had a bad accident in the past when running Falken's on a wheel/tyre package but I notice a lot of people run them.

My car is a standard '05 STi used for normal/fast road driving - never tracked

The search function seems to be down so

Talk to me people, appreciate the help

Paul

Last edited by Midnight Runner; 14 February 2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 14 February 2009, 01:35 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi mate
I have been looking into tyres for what seems ages now and this is what i have learned
bridgestones its a marmite situation some really love some hate
but from magazines etc the top perfomance was goodyear aysmetrics but if you take into acount the price then the italian tyres are the best performance for pound only losing to the goodyears on braking distance
Hope this helps
Old 14 February 2009, 01:49 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

i am currently in exactly the same situation as yourself mate, bridgestone re070s are probably best, but considering the reviews on eagle f1s for the money i would probably go with 4 of these. however there is currently a bridgestone potenza thread going in this section where a good price should be coming shortly on a group buy, that will probably then be a better option.
Old 15 February 2009, 12:23 PM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys I have seen that, if I do go for the bridgestones then I'll jump in the group buy My dad seems to like his.

Anybody else used any of the others?
Old 15 February 2009, 01:38 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I was on the verge of getting the Vredesteins as I know they are a good tyre, but went for the F1 asymmetrics in the end to replace my GSD3's which have been excellent. Goodyears feel great very sure footed in the wet. I found Bridgestone potatoes not good in wet conditions. Used Camskill with next day delivery.

GOODYEAR TYRES / CAR / GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC - 225/40R18 92Y XL FP TL :: £108.50 :: Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres :: R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40 R 18 ::

VREDESTEIN TYRES / CAR / VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA - 225/40R18 92Y XL TL :: £91.00 :: Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres :: R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40 R 18 ::
Old 15 February 2009, 07:58 PM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Nice one dude I'll give them a ring this week. There is a place near me that is pretty good on most tyres, but doesn't do the Vredestein - am really tempted by these or the Goodyear's after reading the reviews. The Vredesein's do seem cheap though how do they last? Believe they are fitted to Astons now
Old 15 February 2009, 08:52 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Vredesteins don't seem to be available everywhere. Not tried them yet, but many happy users on here.
Old 15 February 2009, 09:14 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

RE070 - Astounding dry grip and cornering abilities, head, shoulders and a pair of stilettos over any other tire I've driven. Bad in the wet and awful tramlining. I used to keep a set of spare wheels with RE070's for summer/track/fun.

Toyo T1S - Nothing special. A good tire, but no better than many others.

Vredestein Ultrac - Very good.

Vredestein Sessanta - Based on others reports, exceptional tire both wet and dry, with good wear.

Goodyear F1 - The perennial favorite. Excellent all 'round, but are known to wear a little quicker than others.

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 - Drove a mates Scoob with these last week and was instantly impressed. Superb in the wet, supposed to be excellent in the dry with good wear quoted on some rave reviews such as THIS. It's what I'd put on a Scoob for everyday/winter use.
Old 15 February 2009, 09:50 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Just gone from RE070's to goodyear f1's. Well pleased with them. No more tramlining and a much better ride for day to day. Dry grip on the Bridgestone's was brilliant providing the road was dead smooth, otherwise you could'nt go fast enought to find out as they would steer the car all over the place at high speed.
Old 15 February 2009, 10:02 PM
andrew jeffs
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt use the yoko parada spec 2,they are shocking in greasy damp conditions,although nothing grips like them in the dry,apart from semi slicks.How about bf goodrich g force profilers,they are a great all round stiff sidewalled tyre for reasonable money(if you can find them)..
Old 15 February 2009, 10:47 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

ultracs are cheaper at tyremen all that range are
Is this not 17" thread though
If we talking 18 s you have to think about contacsport3, michelins and bridestone050a s

Last edited by wrx9181; 15 February 2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 15 February 2009, 11:28 PM
T20Driver
Scooby Regular

My originals on my MY05 JDM STi were RE070's and they were brilliant for dry grip and for the side wals staying stiff under heavy cornering ... tramlined like anything though and a bit slippy in the wet

2nd set were Toyo T1Rs ... so so, but sidewalls too soft and so cornering not predicatable .. plus they didn't last long

Just finished my 3rd set .. Ultrac Sessantas .. brilliant .. especially cornering in the wet ... just mind bogglingly fast .. plus have lasted 15k miles

Have just ordered set of Goodyear Asymetrics to see what they are like .. I expect they will be excellent too .. but want to see what is better .. Goodyears or Sessantas

Good luck in your deliberations.
Old 16 February 2009, 10:37 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my MY05 STI I've had

RE070's - Brilliant in dry, I'd have to say good in the wet, but awful in damp or greasy conditions.
Tramlined badly, and very noisy.

I replaced those with Michelin Pilot sport 2's - they only lasted about 8,000 miles unfortunately, way too soft.
Very quiet though.

They were replaced with RE050's.
These were also quite good. Similar to the RE070's with regards to damp roads - a bit noisy also.

The current tyres are Goodyear Eagle F1's.
These are very good (had them before on other Impreza's)
I don't think they do them anymore though?

Have also tried Toyo's - Personally I hated them, they were the older compound at the time, T1R I think?

Shaun

Last edited by urban; 16 February 2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 16 February 2009, 12:02 PM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Nice one guys, thanks for the input. MOT time in a couple of weeks so I'm going to have to get something sorted Vredestein's, Goodyear's or the Uniroyal's (cheers corradoboy wouldn't have thought of these) as I think I want to try something different to the Bridgestone's. Will check out some prices

Cheers
Paul
Old 17 February 2009, 01:26 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also tried Uniroyals on a short run in a mates STi3. I was impressed and surprised they're not more popular on here. Didn't like the F1s cos sidewall was too soft and they felt squirmy at 34-5 psi. May be better in XL version. Gonna try Sessanta'a next.
Old 18 February 2009, 09:07 AM
Midnight Runner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SlowBoy
Also tried Uniroyals on a short run in a mates STi3. I was impressed and surprised they're not more popular on here. Didn't like the F1s cos sidewall was too soft and they felt squirmy at 34-5 psi. May be better in XL version. Gonna try Sessanta'a next.
Don't suppose you tried them in the dry at all?
Old 18 February 2009, 10:05 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
RE070 - Astounding dry grip and cornering abilities, head, shoulders and a pair of stilettos over any other tire I've driven. Bad in the wet and awful tramlining. I used to keep a set of spare wheels with RE070's for summer/track/fun.

Toyo T1S - Nothing special. A good tire, but no better than many others.

Vredestein Ultrac - Very good.

Vredestein Sessanta - Based on others reports, exceptional tire both wet and dry, with good wear.

Goodyear F1 - The perennial favorite. Excellent all 'round, but are known to wear a little quicker than others.

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 - Drove a mates Scoob with these last week and was instantly impressed. Superb in the wet, supposed to be excellent in the dry with good wear quoted on some rave reviews such as THIS. It's what I'd put on a Scoob for everyday/winter use.

I have Vredestein Ultrac, and although that are a good tyre, I just don't seem to get on with them that well. Not sure what it is. I heard from a guy who fits tyres said that Vredestein are part of the uniroyal brand so hence why Uniroyal Rainsport 2 are good tyres then.

I don't know what to get next on 205/50/16 - Toyo T1R or B'Stone RE050
Old 18 February 2009, 10:43 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

i am going for the goodyear asyemmetics or hanccok rsr for track the goodyears always win the magazine test so they can all get it wrong and they are the people in the know
Old 28 February 2009, 04:20 PM
Fat Boi Mike
Scooby Regular

I have the F1 Asymetricals, I agree that the tyre walls are soft, they seem to move about under the car alot. The grip is unreal, especially in the wet when you throw it into a roundabout. They hold on to the road long enough for me to lose heart and would never throw it into a roundabout as quick as they could handle.. the only slight problem being the soft tyre walls.

Can suggest these as a very good tyre