Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

What brake upgrade for my P1??

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2002, 11:28 PM
Johnny Bence
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

At the moment my P1 has the standard brakes it came with from the factory, but as I'm doing more and more track driving I need something that copes with heat a bit better. I've been reading some of the forum topics to pick up clues as to what you guys recommend but I thought I'd see if anyone had any specific ideas.

I've heard a company calle Hi Spec do a good quality brakes thats a lot cheaper than the Brembo/AP stock they also sell? What kind of money would I be looking at get good stoppers on my 17" wheels?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advise/pointers!
Old 14 February 2002, 01:27 AM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi mate,

I have a P1 and have ordered the Hi Spec Kit. For 17" wheels, you should get a kit for about £900 which includes 335mm discs and Monster 4 billet alloy calipers. I should get mine fitted on Friday so I'll let you know how I get on. A few others have already have theirs fitted and seem v. happy. Might be worth posting for specific comments on Hi Spec stuff.

Cheers,

MS
Old 14 February 2002, 07:19 AM
Johnny Bence
Scooby Regular

Martin - thanks for that. Would be very interested to hear how you feel about the Hi Spec brakes. They seem to be very well recieved. Are you upgrading from the standard P1 brakes too? I assume you're doing some track work too then?!

So you've ordered the brake kit, does that mean Hi Spec fit them as well or can any decent garage do the job? Sorry if my questions are a bit basic but I've never had a car before that needed bigger brakes.

Take it easy. Johnny.

[Edited by Johnny Bence - 2/14/2002 7:23:55 AM]
Old 14 February 2002, 09:16 AM
Viper
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have the Prodrive/Alcon Upgrade on my P1 and these brakes are fantastic. I've heard that some dealers are prepared to negotaite on the price.

I've also heard of people fitting AP and Godspeed.

Good luck

Phil
Old 14 February 2002, 10:34 AM
SiWhite
Scooby Regular

Cool

I currently have the standard brakes on my P1 but I am getting the Scoobysport Brembo/AP kit on Saturday, so will let you know the difference! Once I decide to stop driving the car around that is
Old 14 February 2002, 05:24 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi Johnny,

Yep, decided to go for the Hi Spec setup after long and extensive chats with Geoff the boss. They have the full CNC machine there and actually make the calipers themselves from alloy billets. The quality is exceptional, and the calipers have full dust seals so they don't need servicing like some AP stuff. The performance should be on a par with AP stuff and the kit comes with seperate discs and bells rather than the single units like the on the Alcon kits.

Hi Spec are fitting miy kit as they only charge £30 per hour labour, but any competent garage should be able to fit the kit in around 3 hrs no probs.

I have 18 wheels and have gone for the 355mm discs which should be just ridiculously good. Most people are more than happy with 335mm discs, so these should be obscene in terms of performance. Fitting is tomorrow if all goes to plan, will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

MS
Old 14 February 2002, 05:42 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
These are my Hi-spec stuff on MY01 335 discs.

They have slowley bedded in and are feeling fantasic. Not much of a pedal change but the stopping power is awesome and haven't got them to fade yet.

Tha outfit is a nice little place and is interesting to see how things are done.

[Edited by Fizz - 2/14/2002 5:43:30 PM]
Old 14 February 2002, 05:58 PM
Johnny Bence
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advise guys, this is a very friendly and helpful forum, isn't it?! My current thinking is that if the Hi Specs' are nearly or as good as AP or Brembos but for a lot less money then I might go for them. Not sure yet. Will give them a ring tomorrow.

I take it everyone's happy with their P1's...? Bit of a silly question I suppose. Great car. It still took several circuit sessions to bring out the one weakness I've found, that the standard brakes aren't meant for more than hard road driving. But hell - it was fun finding out!

Take it easy everyone.