Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

SUDDEN SURGE WHEN BRAKING

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2001, 06:39 AM
eighteenspeed
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had a problem when applying their brakes and their car suddenly surging forward instead of anchoring properly. This had happened approx three times to my SUBARU Forester in the last 10,000 miles. The last time as I backed into my driveway and, with my wife in the car, shifted forward and applied brakes, suddenly my car surged forward and over an embankment sudenly coming to rest partway down. A neighbor helped extract my wife and me from the car while I shifted to park and held on to brakes. Have discovered that other people have also encountered this problem and, in fact, two top-level execs in Japan have been indicted for concealment of same. Also, a gentleman with whom I have been in touch by e-mail and who sold his SUBARU Forester at a considerable loss and who has a case pending against SOA, had a judge give the defendant SUBARU people hell when he extracted from them the fact that they had pursued the new owner of his car, bought it back, gave the subsequent owner a new car, and took his old car completely off the road and out of commisssion. The dealer tries to intimate that I hit accelerator instead. If so, then why, when on level ground, and experiencing this same problem did I finally stop after pulling over. Didn't run out of petrol. Furthermore, my neighbor who was at my side in seconds to help me observed that I did have my foot firmly on my brakes.
Old 17 December 2001, 01:54 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Very alarming
Old 17 December 2001, 03:03 PM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Question

I had a problem this morning, approaching a T junction, went to put my foot on the brake pedal and it was as if the whole thing had seized. I thought that the car had stalled and that I had lost the servo assist. I looked down at the tacho and it was fine. I pressed harder and it sort of went twang. It then seemed ok on the drive to work.

Iain