Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

HELP

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2006, 08:19 PM
AFRIKANZ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP

Bought some gold Brembos for my classic a while back. Been fitting 'em on and just noticed threads have been stripped/crossed on one of the bleed nipples/nozzles
Problem is I can't return 'em because I've had them for so long

Any sugestions ?? Anyway to repair this ??
Old 30 November 2006, 08:28 PM
ian10
Scooby Regular

Don't worry you can buy from a engineering merchants "helicoil insert set" you get a tap insert tool and inserts.
All you do is tap the caliper out and insert the "insert" with the tool and then the insert becomes the new thread, there will be stronger and better than the original thread. job done! cost about £20 for set.

not sure of the size you need at a guess 6mm, take the nipple with you to the merchants and let them size it for you.
Old 30 November 2006, 08:39 PM
AFRIKANZ
Scooby Regular

Thread size is M10x1mm, I think.............

Thanks ian10, remember seeing these, was not sure if they'd be upto the job. Will investigate.
Old 30 November 2006, 08:51 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Heli-Coil® inserts are precision formed screw thread coils of stainless steel wire having a diamond shaped cross section.

When they are installed into Heli-Coil® tapped holes, they provide permanent conventional 60' internal screw threads that accommodate any standard bolt or screw.

All related tooling such as STI Taps, hand and power installation tools, gages and tang break-off tools are also available. Typical Applications would include: Automotive,Communication, Aerospace, Military and the Defense industries.

They usually work out stronger than the original thread tapped into an ally casing.

Mark
Old 30 November 2006, 09:12 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

I use Helicoils all the time at work and think they are great, but I would not use one on, what is, a life saving hydraulic system. I wouldn't trust it, over time, to properly seal.
Old 30 November 2006, 09:29 PM
ian10
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CRAIGFIN
I use Helicoils all the time at work and think they are great, but I would not use one on, what is, a life saving hydraulic system. I wouldn't trust it, over time, to properly seal.
I think the bleed nipple seals on the flat face in the caliper not on the thread, and even so it is up to the job.
we also use them at work on hydraulic manifolds which are aluminium and have the helicoils in them.
Old 30 November 2006, 09:43 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by CRAIGFIN
I understand what you are saying about not taking a risk with a life or death mechanical part.

However nearly all bleed nipples use the taper at their base to form the seal so no fluid under pressure should ever get as far as the threads. If it does it means the seal is lost & you have a problem anyway.

The threads only have to provide the purchase for the nipple to press the taper into the tapered seat to form a seal. You can see the taper at the bottom of these & the holes just above which lets the fluid escape when bleeding the system once the taper has lifted clear of it's seat.

Mark
Old 30 November 2006, 10:21 PM
tony95
Scooby Regular

we to use helicoils at work. gaffer doesn't like using them on calipers but will lend someone the kit to use themselves.
m10*1 pitch sounds possable check its not bsp/npt though