Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brakes for the blackbeast

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2001, 03:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Downpipe might be the next mod for the blackbeast, and if so then it's also time to sort the brakes. at the moment it's got standard 2 pot front calipers and wilwood drilled and vented discs, plus braided hoses, and completely standard rear brakes.

I need to sort the brakes, because the DP will give me a tad more power and anyway, the standard setup is crap, full stop.

So, what to go for? well, this is the big question. if I stick with my current wheels (16inch Mim by speedline wheels) then what can I fit under them? I'm thinking about a godspeed kit (will shortly be emailing godspeed) will it fit? if so will it be of a decent size?

Or should I get some new wheels? ie; 17 inchers? (see other thread about wheels) if so then I guess this would give me more options.

so, what should I go for?

bear in mind that I use the car every day for work, and I might do the occasional trackday, though maybe not, but I'd like a nice setup.
Old 29 October 2001, 05:13 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Dunno what size brakes you want but you could go with the godspeed ones or go for an AP/Brembo setup?
Think there are some nice ones for sale at scoobysport but may cost you a little and you know in the end that you want 17's for your car but i run Brembo 4pots on my MY00 and they are alot better from higher speeds than the standard subaru 4pots (also using dot 5.1 fluid)

A worthy investment

Tony
Old 31 October 2001, 03:51 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Go for Godspeed, looks the Dogs, and stop you like you won't believe. Added bonus is that there are at least half the price of a Brembo or AP kit

Matt
Old 31 October 2001, 05:07 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Markus,

I can't comment on the Godspeed set-up, but it's a false economy to spend money on brakes a little better than yours.

A couple of months ago I resigned to the fact that I needed decent brakes ,after spending circa 1k on alternatives. I opted for the AP-kit that fits under 16" rims (limited as that's what size my other wheels are).

Amazing....no fade, what so ever, anywhere, no matter how much or how hard I use them.

I really don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

Old 31 October 2001, 05:11 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Markus,

Drop me a mail and I can give you some details of a AP Racing 4-pot kit that can fit under 16" wheels!

The kit is new and there is a little discount!

Cheers
Andy
Old 31 October 2001, 05:12 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Mo,
if you don't mind me asking, how much was the kit and where did you get it? how much was fitting?

I'm very tempted to stick with the wheels I have, would save some cash, which means more cash for brakes and other things.

Would the calipers that you have accomodate bigger discs if I was ever to get bigger wheels and therefore want/require bigger discs? or would I need a new set of calipers

Also, what, if anything have you done to the rear brakes?
Old 31 October 2001, 05:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

One question about the AP racing kit, it may fit under the 'standard' impreza 16inch wheel but that's not what I've got. These are the 16's I have

so any idea if it'd fit under them? they are 16's (Mim's by speedline)
Old 31 October 2001, 05:31 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Markus,

Best bet is to find a helpful owner, and try one of your wheels on a car with Subaru 4-pots. If they fit, the AP Racing or the Brembo kit shouldn't be an issue!

Before you ask, I have the AP Racing 6-pots on my car!!!

Cheers
Andy
Old 01 November 2001, 12:44 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Andy, what's this new AP Racing 4-pot kit? What's new about it? Is it an offical AP Racing kit? Just curious.

Richard.
Old 01 November 2001, 09:10 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Think that Andy is referring to the AP 4-pot racing kit that is sold by Scoobymania. Why do I think this well, a few reasons, the main one being that scoobymania lists an AP 4-pot kit for 16 inch wheels on their website.
Old 01 November 2001, 10:00 AM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Markus,

the kit I have is indeed the Scoobymania kit. Prices are listed on their web site but I'm sure if you speak with Mike he will be willing to negotiate a little. To be honest I don't know if the bigger discs will fit this kit but unless you were looking at doing some serious track/sprint driving I really don't think you will need to upgrade.

Fitting was free....as I did it myself (with the help of Pete K ) although we did damage the ABS sensors! but it still works.

I have uprated the rears with the Pagid grooved discs and pads from Scoobysport, not too expensive and very very good. I had changed these whilst still running the standard 4-pots up front and they did improve braking no end.

If you're coming to Donno or Brands you can try your wheels on mine to see if they clear the calipers.......
Old 01 November 2001, 02:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Mo,
I may well be at brands (later this month non?) but only as spectator, so might take you up on your offer.
Old 01 November 2001, 07:43 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Markus, still confused. The AP Racing kit that ScoobyMania sell is the official APR jobbie and is not new - in fact the illustration on the S'Mania site is of the old style calipers (only change is cosmetic, ie the AP lettering). Been around for years.

I'd take Mo up on his offer to try your wheels before buying brakes. It's going to be very close, and you need a little bit more than just static clearance. APR say 5mm, but 3mm should be okay to allow for any movement in the bearings during hard cornering.

Good luck

Richard.
Old 02 November 2001, 09:09 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Hoppy, I think that andy meant that the kit was new as just recently purchased, and not new as it new product.
Old 02 November 2001, 01:47 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Ahh. Silly me

Richard.
Old 03 November 2001, 01:45 PM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Cool

Markus,

I have found a setup of similar design to the AP, but of better quality and performance for a fraction of the price. I have sorted an unbelievable price for a group buy!! Just over £700 for a full ally caliper and disk setup. Have a look at the group buy post, in the wheels and tyres section.

Cheers,
Martin
Old 03 November 2001, 08:40 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

If you did want to upgrade the AP kit for 16" wheels at a later date you can use your existing calipers but you would need the larger sized discs and different brackets, which mount the calipers further out.I also think there's a slight difference in the pad width so you may need those as well.

I have the 16" AP kit under the standard wheels and have considered upgrading both the wheels and discs but to be honest I can't justify the cost,the brakes are awesome as they are.

Andy