Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

jaz traction porsche brakes for scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2001, 08:20 PM
yhe chod
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

im thinking of getting a brake upgrade to my 1999 ppp scooby. ap 6pots came to mind but i heard about a company called jas traction who convert 993 biturbo brakes and 4potsfor the subaru .has anyone heard or used these brakes and are they a good idea since i think porsche have the best brakes in the business.cheers
Old 25 October 2001, 12:29 PM
CraigD
Scooby Regular

Thought you might like this
http://www.movit.de
Old 26 October 2001, 07:47 AM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Jas is the UK importer for Movit. I can only recommend those brakes. I've got the GT3 monobloc calliper kit on my EVO VI and was the best investment I ever spent on the car. My mate did more than 80 laps on the Ring with his EVO equipped with Movit brakes,no complaints.
Read my topic on the Lancer register, this covers almost everything about it. Here in Switzerland aswell as in Germany already several Scoobs have been converted and never any complaints.

http://www.lancerregister.com/mlr-main.html, it's under the brakes section and then "The Movit Story". It's worth a read.

Cheers

Mike
Old 26 October 2001, 07:59 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Not heard of Jaz, but Movit have been doing this for a long time now and already have a few kits for the Scooby. I drove a mate's Evo6 tm a few days back after he had their kit fitted....bloody amazing! I can definitely recommend it.

The Evo brakes always felt better than my Scoob's anyway (I'm running standard 4 pot calipers with ds2000's & TarOx disks), so I questioned why he was bothering....now I know

You can modulate this kit incredibly well - much, much more control when setting up the car for a corner on the brakes.

They also run very cool and the Porsche calliper is a one piece design, reducing weight. Have you ever heard a Prosche owner complain about his brakes, lol?!

Definitely what I'll be fitting - I was going to wait until my TarOx's wore out....but I'm now checking prices!

If you've any questions, let me know - my mate knows the guy who runs it pretty well now (he went there for him to fit the Evo kit, as the tm suspension is a little different from a standard Evo).

Cheers
Richard
Old 26 October 2001, 08:01 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Hey Mike - you beat me to it

Richard
Old 26 October 2001, 12:28 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Movit offers many different kits for the Scoob to fit all the different wheel sizes, even a kit for 15inch wheels is available.
If any info is required you can contact me.

Cheers

Mike
Old 26 October 2001, 04:23 PM
ric
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

From my experience I can only confirm what scoobymike (thought you were EVOmike now?!?! ) and Richard write.

ric

PS I have the Alcons.
Old 26 October 2001, 05:11 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I was sure movit were just rebadged brembo. In which case, they will be incredible. I wanted these some time back but ended up with the ap 6 pots. Certainly no dissapointment. Mobits do have a pedigree too though and I would love some on my car somewhere...........

Scoobymike,

can you find out if they would or could do a kit for the rears on a type r/22B.

I would love some Red four pot rears.
Old 26 October 2001, 07:46 PM
yhe chod
Scooby Regular

Talking

thanksguys excellent responce,nice to hear from people outside the uk .cheers.it might be a while before i get the money together and fit the brakes so i may contact you in the future switzaland
Old 26 October 2001, 08:46 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Adam

they also make a rear brake kit for the Standard Turbo. If this kit doesn't fit they could certainly do a rear kit for you. If you're seriously interested let me know than I can sort that out for you. I've sent you a pic of the brakes fitted on my mates EVO after 50 laps on the Ring to give you a better impression of it.

I'll upgrade my rear brakes in spring. Now I have to use Pagid RS14 at the back to have a good braking balance. On the front I use the Porker GT 3 sport spec pad which is also organic.
I recommend to read my thread on the Lancer BBS about the Movit brakes.

Just one word. The Porker brakes are not at all rebadged Brembo brakes. Brembo only produces the brakes according to Porker specification.

The GT 3 calliper I use has the same pad surface as the AP sixpot but the calliper is 2.3kg instead of 3kg as it doesn't need any steel bolts to hold it together. Additionally the Porker disc is 322X32mm whereas the AP disc is 330X28mm.
The Porker discs use a registered ventilation system and are cast-drilled so much stronger. These discs run incredibely cool, are two piece design and due to the special bolts used to connect the disc and the bell, the whole disc can expand 0.5mm in radius.

As you might know the EVO brakes are prone to warping, ******** the wheel bearings and potentially the hubs. Since I've fitted new hubs and bearing together with the Movit kit no problems anymore. My mate tested them extensively on the Ring. Maybe Stef can remember him as he was overtaken by him on the last Scoob drive on the Ring. As he drives below 8.20min this is a good judgement for the kit. He now covered more than 80 laps on the Ring and he hasn't even changed the pads yet! This speaks for itself.

Cheers

Mike
Old 26 October 2001, 11:48 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

How much is this kit?
Old 27 October 2001, 07:47 PM
Mog
Scooby Regular

Any idea on a price for a kit for 18" P1 wheels

Mog
Old 29 October 2001, 09:35 AM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

I'll come back to you tonight, too busy at the moment.

Cheers

Mike
Old 29 October 2001, 04:52 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

So just found a bit time

normally you should contact the UK distributor of Movit. This is Jas Traction, Tel. +44 1 306876985. He can supply the kits in the UK as I'm no reseller nor do I know the exact prices in the UK. But I know Movit very well so I've already spoken to them. If you get ten people together he can arrange group discounts. This would be very interesting as the EUR is quite weak.

For a P1 with 18 inch wheels I would recommend the same kit as used on my EVO VI. This consists of Porsche GT3 callipers, 322X32mm cast drilled two piece Porsche discs, GT3 organic pad sport spec, steel braided hoses and the brakets. This weekend I tested it on some tarmac rally stages and no issues. It's actually that good that you forget to talk about brakes.

They also offer kits for 16inch wheels with a smaller disc (304X32mm) and Porker 993 callipers but this would need spacers. The 322X32mm kit can also be ordered with the 993 callipers (not so expensive as with the GT3 callipers which use F1 technology).

If someone uses 19 inch wheels and regularly goes on track days using slicks there's also kit with a 380mm disc and the GT3 callipers. This is usually used on heavy cars like the Ferrari 550 and alike.

Hope this helps a bit

Mike
Old 31 October 2001, 05:39 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I have ap six pots at the mo, and would not consider upgrading the fronts except for something bigger. Is there not a movit kit in say 350 or 360mm that would go under an 18 inch wheel?

the rears on teh 22B/type r are a different hub, so i am not entirely sure that a simple replacement is possible.

It does sound very interesting though.

Mine currently has a two pot rear. I know brembo make this kind of thing as the skyline and evo have two pot brembo rears, but the impreza has an internal drum for the handbrake and hence very little disc area. Do you think movit might do a kit using a proper two or four pot caliper and a special disc that can sit on the drum?
Old 31 October 2001, 07:50 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Adam

thanks for your interest. Actually Movit offers a kit with 350X34mm discs in connection with the GT3 monobloc calliper. This should fit behind the 18inch wheels. You can also get it with the 6pot monobloc callipers used on the new GT2 but I don't think there's enough clearance for the wheel spokes anymore as this is a monstrous calliper!

For the rear Movit offers also 4 pot conversion with a monobloc calliper. That's what I'll get next spring.

If the hub is different then I've to check with Movit how to get the correct data to make it fit as the 22b is not available in continental Europe. But Guido (the owner of Movit) is a real enthusiast so I think he would be more than pleased to make a special kit for you.

I'll check it out for you and let you know as soon as possible.

Cheers

Mike

PS: I just drove several tarmac stages over the weekend which are used for the Swiss Championships. You rarely get over 70-80mph and hard braking almost every second on twisty downhill roads and the Movit brakes did a marvellous job. Now even after more than 1500miles no scratches at all, no heat spots on the disc. It's really worth the price.
Old 05 November 2001, 04:33 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Smile

Adam

I've spoken to Movit and they can easily do a rear kit for your 22b. As they can't cope with production at the moment Movit will be able to sort you out in January if you can wait that long. The other thing we have to discuss is the price you're willing to pay. On one hand this will be a one-off kit but on the other hand Guido (the owner of Movit) is a real car nutter and he would love to make a kit for such a special car. If you're still interested let me please know.

I'll get my rear brake kit for my EVO in spring. The nicest thing would be that you come down in spring aswell, getting the stuff fitted and go together to the Ring to test them properly. My mate can show us some very good lines as this is his home territory and he drives it with street tyres below 8.20min. This would be my suggestion.

Cheers

Mike
Old 22 November 2001, 01:15 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Do they happen to do a kit that will fit under 16 inch wheels? say with a 308mm disc?
Old 23 November 2001, 01:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Anyone know what the system is like from cold? just wondering if it's akin to putting redstuff pads in, in otherwords, they need a bit of warming to work, and thus until their warm they are not that good. This is a major point to me as i'm mr "driving miss daisy" and thus need decent from cold braking as well as decent when warm braking
Old 23 November 2001, 07:26 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Markus

you won't have any problem with cold bite as this is dependant on pad choice. If you drive almost all the time on the road even the standard Porsche pad will be far enough you. Cold bit is then excellent and brake modulation aswell, almost no dust, very kind to the disc. If you go on track you can then fit some Pagid pads which work very well in connection with this setup (German pads with German discs!) If you use those mild pads stopping power will exceed already an uprated 4pot Subaru system. The discs will last then for many thousands of miles. I would almost dare to say at least around 20'000 miles and more including spirited driving. This is a great advantage as the system run so cool and is far enough for the weight of the Scoob. You would run a setup which is standard one the 996 Porkers with a disc which is a bit smaller but your car's also lighter. Another advantage of the Movit setup is that if you sell your car you can move to almost every other car just new bells and brakets are needed. So it pays off pretty soon. The only disadvantage is for the 16 inchers you need to fit spacers as the callipers are much more massive but a big deal lighter than the standard ones (made from alloy).
If you want some unbiased comments about Movit brakes then check out on www.google.com and search under "movit brakes". Subaru specific reviews can be found on the following link:http://www.impreza-gt-club.de/ then go to Forums, new Forum, search with "Movit". That's in German though.

Hope this helps otherwise drop me a line

Cheers

Mike
Old 26 November 2001, 09:32 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Mike,
you are a star, thanks for the reply. ignoring the lack of cash I'm torn between an AP racing 4-pot setup and the movit setup. Richard jeal did mention spacers to me, and I'm a little worried about putting spacers on, though they are only 10mm, anyone got any real reasons not to put spacers in?

Only other worry is that calipers might need some work to fit to existing caliper bracket, or am I talking tosh?

as said, I'm very tempted by this movit setup, would look great, plus the theory is that I'd never need to upgrade my brake setup again.

gonna wait until after xmas, just so I can be sure of the cash aspect, then once I have the brakes, on goes the downpipe! yummy!

[Edited by Markus - 11/26/2001 9:56:46 AM]
Old 26 November 2001, 10:24 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I don't suppose you can get this Movit kit with the Porsche ceramic discs can you? I think the price may be prohibitive thought -- AFAIK it's a 7k option on a Porsche (but the discs do last a long time).
Old 26 November 2001, 10:55 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Carl,
ask movit/Jas traction. The movit site does mention the ceramic setup, but think that the expense would prohibit most people from using it
Old 26 November 2001, 04:54 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Smile

Markus

thanks for the credits.

Regarding the callipers. No modifications needed as you'll get brackets designed exclusively for this calliper and your car in this case the Scoob. It's a simple job to fit them. Bolt on the bracket and then bolt the new callipers on the new bracket that's it. Hope this gives you some relief.

Carl

You can have the ceramic setup but it will cost around DEM 30/- front and rear and this involves the GT2 6 pot calliper in monobloc design etc. Way OTT for our cars.

Cheers

Mike
Old 26 November 2001, 05:01 PM
stavros
Scooby Regular

by upgrading you brakes to 6pots the only thing your doing is to lock the wheels quicker, it will not improve braking,
if you have the 4pots keep them
thats what i think anyways...
cheers
Old 26 November 2001, 05:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Mike,
thanks, I feel more relieved now. I don't want to get the kit and then find it does not fit properly.
Old 26 November 2001, 05:05 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Originally posted by scoobymike:
You can have the ceramic setup but it will cost around DEM 30/- front and rear and this involves the GT2 6 pot calliper in monobloc design etc. Way OTT for our cars.
What's DEM 30/-? If it's 30 marks then count me in! Same if it's 30 Euros
Old 26 November 2001, 05:07 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

think we're probably talking 30,000 DM's which I think is about 9500 pounds which is just a tad expensive for brakes
Old 26 November 2001, 06:05 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Markus is right. It's GBP 9'500 and this includes front and rear ceramic discs, at the front with 6pot monobloc callipers and at the rear 4 pot monobloc callipers. You'll also get special brake fluid, pads etc as this system runs very hot. Even the pistons have a teflon treated surface to prevent them transferring all the heat into the brake fluid. You will at least need 19inch wheels to accomodate this system.

Regarding locking the wheels. With the Movit system you'll have superb modulation so it's much better at braking at the grip limit without locking. With the Subaru 4 pots you have only a on-off feeling, mushy and will overheat very quickly and therefore wear discs and pads much faster than the above mentioned kit. And it is heavy as a rock!

Cheers

Mike
Old 26 November 2001, 06:37 PM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

Porsches brakes are From Brembo.

Quick Reply: jaz traction porsche brakes for scooby?