Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2006, 03:34 AM
west_minist
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo Proxes R888

03-01-2006

Hi Guys!

I got a chance to look at the New Toyo Proxes R888 today (was around for a while now) and there look great.

There are softer, although the RA1 have the same treadwear of 100 and there also appear wider. As expected, the grip is a little more than the RA1. I will tell you that drivers would not like you driving infront of them with pebbles on the road. There reminded me of those big Motorcycle (R1) sticky tires.

For the good part, the sidewalls are a lot more stiffer

The tread depth is very good and seems more than the RA1, but the spacing is way more

Just lifting the tire feels inspiring and you start dreaming to how the car responses.

The internet pictures does not do justice, except the one above. To me, there remind me of the Bridgestone Potenza RE540S and Nitto NT-01 (Made by Toyo too)

http://www.toyo.com.au/Motorsportnew.htm

Old 07 April 2006, 03:35 AM
west_minist
Scooby Newbie

03-30-2006

Ok Guys! Here goes!!!!

I bit the bullet today and purchase some summer tires for my GC8.

I replace my Rotors and wrx pads yesterday; since I could not wait for a mix up Ferodo pads shipment. Also, my suspension is @ 70% worn and need replacing now. After the tire change, you wouldn’t think so at all. My rear rotors were upgrade to the H6 ones a while back. So 277/290mm f/r.

Moving on now 

Tire experience: Toyo RA1, Bridgestone Potenza GIII – only ones that worth mentioning.

I have yet to feel stones being pick up on the tire. The TW is 100. Driving the car feels like a new car again - but it shouldn't I now have to upgrade to 22mm swaybars; up from 19/20 f/r

I will update this thread as I put more miles on the tire and as my rotors break in

Currently, I have no experience driving in wet condition yet and semi driving on grass and sand feels better than the RA1, which slips a little.

Presently, I am very happy. When the ferodo pads come, I will be happier.
              Old 07 April 2006, 03:38 AM
              west_minist
              Scooby Newbie

03-31-2006

Car = GC8
              Weight = 1230kg
              Environment = Tropics - fairly hot. 30+ degrees celcius and tires up to temperature.

I increase the pressure to 34/32 f/r cold and the performance was not too great. When skidding, the tires were now keeping noise and the g-forces pull were lower than yesterday. Cornering performance (g’s) was also reduce.

The tire seems to be sensitive to temperature psi changes. That’s the same for the RA1, but less for the R888. Temperature was around 37.5/35 f/r and increasing slowly. This is with spirited driving and early part of the day.

I reduced the pressure to 35/33psi f/r hot. This should put it around stock psi when cold. Results - better traction, no squeaking when hard braking and lovely cornering.

To me, tire noise is low, but performance has gone up a bit; maybe by 8%, but loving every moment it. I still have those little feather twigs out of the tires. Next stop, swaybars and hopefully suspension.
              Old 07 April 2006, 03:40 AM
              west_minist
              Scooby Newbie

03-31-2006

Day 2: Tropical driving

I am convince that the cold manufacture recommended PSI is the correct for operation; in my case

Traction is still going up and the ABS kicks in nicely. It seems that our ABS was made for grippy tires. It comes on properly now and feels really nice. Nice thumbed pulses and not excessively on.

I am very surprise of the steering response and really bring confidence in changing lanes, since the tire sits down and hold the road and have less sidewall flex when moving. Shaking the car you see it, but driving it, you can barely feel it.

Now, this tire has some noise that is not for the average peaceful user. Slowing down under braking, feels like you are on grooves in the road. The feeling translates into a patting sound. There is also a wooing sound at 60+kph, but not too loud, once you do not think about it

The tire grip is felt as you drive, which is a lot more compare to the RA1's. When the road is really hot, the RA1's seems to slide and feel slippery. This is either new or worn. So far, I do not have that problem.

With 36-36.5/33-33.5 f/r hot (normal driving on fairly hot roads), the tire feels a little hard on the road, but the ride is still comfortable.

I just check the temperature and the rubber feels cold. I will know by tomorrow morning, but the psi right now is 33/30.5 f/r. Recommended psi is 32/29.5-30 psi. I might reduce the front back to 32, but will see what the final temperature is in the morning.

Let me say that it is very easy to get the tire up to temperature.

Just like what the rally guys told me, there run the tarmac tires at lower psi, and end up high. What I mean is that I have under 110hp (134nm) AWD power through a auto tranny and I heat up the tires fairly quickly early in the morning, which are 205/50 15. That would mean that wrx's and STI's on this same size tire would really put some heat in them, and could end up way over 40psi in some light spirited driving.

I do not know if I would be absolutely correct here, but I think the 215 would be a good match here for my model and current suspension setup.

I also had a little experience with some wet road and felt no different. I will have to wait and see how the rain will affect the performance.

I normal go to the beach or into sandy or muddy area and beautiful performance there. Nice
              Old 07 April 2006, 03:42 AM
              west_minist
              Scooby Newbie

04-01-2006

A tab update:

All is going well and I have dropped the psi (cold) from 31 >> 30.5 and 33 >> 32.5, since the 32/30 feels a little to soft to start of with before getting them up to temperature for street driving.

As I mentioned before, the outer tread have its own characteristic noise. It has a higher (faster) pitch and this can tell you how much of the cornering load is on the edge of the tire or curving road where the edge rises from the middle of the road.

Stability slowing from unknown speeds are balance and very controllable. I think this is more related to the flat design of the tire acting on the road.

This is my last update until some changes in general performance, track updates and wet performance.
              Old 07 April 2006, 10:18 AM
              Carlos13
              Scooby Regular

Fantastic summer road tyre. Grip levels in a completely different league to your normal sports road tyres (Bridgestone, Goodyear F1 etc). I mean a completely different league. They are also excellent in damp/wet conditions, just avoid standing water.

Good on track for a few laps, full grip from first corner. Quickly go off and don't last very long due to softness of compound.

I've been through 3 sets of these. I believe they'd be ideal where you need instant grip, eg hill climbs or sprints, but not good for trackday use unless you only want to do 5 laps at a time and then wait 45 mins for them to cool down.

Cheap though!
              Old 07 April 2006, 03:20 PM
              west_minist
              Scooby Newbie

My prodrive/rally mechanic though me to set the pressure fairly low to run them @ the temperature that is for full traction.

So if max. grip is @ 35-36psi and cold is 32psi, then set it @ 28-30 cold

So far, the hot feel is not off compare to the RA1 when hot.

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2006, 03:40 PM
              dynamix
              Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

detailled or what

what do you reckon - survive 2 laps of the ring before melting?
              Old 07 April 2006, 03:54 PM
              Carlos13
              Scooby Regular

They will do one lap of the ring in hot weather (June). By the mini-karussel (sp) they have gone off and need to be cooled down for 45 minutes.

This was on standard suspension, MY99 UK turbo. They perform better (longer) if the suspension is sorted.
              Old 07 April 2006, 04:08 PM
              dynamix
              Former Sponsor

so on a heavier sti 06 (albeit with sorted geometry) they would prob not be the ideal choice.
              Old 07 April 2006, 05:18 PM
              Carlos13
              Scooby Regular

I would say not.

Dunlop DZ02G would be a better bet I think (though no personal experience). Their predecessor, the D01J was good to lap all day on my mate's Evo VII.
              Old 07 April 2006, 05:31 PM
              dynamix
              Former Sponsor

we are going to the ring in Sept and am thinking of either getting some new RE070's as mine will have seen better days by then or Yoko Paradas Spec 2 or some track rubber such as these but i guess this knocks r888 off the list. Want to be able to do at least one full lap without feeling like the tyres are melting under normal person driving (not completely looney)
              Old 07 April 2006, 05:46 PM
              davyboy
              Scooby Regular

If they go off after one lap then they are crap....especially if they need 45 mins to cool down! That mean you can only do about 1 lap an hour. How crap is that.

I've been using some Old Pirelli P zero C, and they have lasted me 5 laps in a row before now.

If you want some proper R rated tyres, get Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tyres, or Pirelli P zero Corsa, they might cost you more.........but they'll do what their designed to do.
              Old 07 April 2006, 06:14 PM
              scooby-si
              Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft

r888 the best tyres ever lol
              running them on my 22B road use imho ive never had a better tyre, seem ok in the wet but i dont drive fast in the wet anyway

Last edited by scooby-si; 07 April 2006 at 06:19 PM.