Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

RE070 in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2006, 09:28 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE070 in the snow?

RE070's in the snow, has any one tried them. Just bought some they arrived today and it promptly decided to snow alot!!
I was going to get them fitted or would I be better waiting till the weather improved?

Cheers Andy
Old 03 March 2006, 09:34 PM
scoobytyson
Scooby Regular

I've tried them in the snow and they are hopeless no grip at all,you would not believe you were driving a awd car.
Old 03 March 2006, 11:18 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

I guess i will leave it till the snow goes LOL

I wonder if snow chains would help?

any one tried them?
Old 04 March 2006, 07:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like any wide tyre in the snow, no good, if you want a good car for the snow, a pug 106 with THE skinniest tyres you can get on it

Tony
Old 04 March 2006, 08:27 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Like any wide tyre in the snow, no good, if you want a good car for the snow, a pug 106 with THE skinniest tyres you can get on it

Tony
Except RE070's were not designed for any snow whatsoever and so should only be fitted when you want to go sledging in your car
Old 04 March 2006, 10:23 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Tony
That was not my question, I live near Buxton Derbyshire and being the Highest Market Town in Britain we are suseceptable to the odd flurry of snow. I dont want to go playing in the snow I just want to get too and from work safely.
I have been driving over the hill to work in the snow with no problems with the current tyres if you take it steady. And prevoius with a classic with various tyres with no problems other than if you want to brake in the classic ABS confuses its self ! I am glad that Subaru now seem to have sorted that as my MY04 Sti does stop properly on snow. Prevoius to that I hade a tweaked 325i with 225's on and still managed to get home in sometimes extreme weather.

I was after a comparision between standrd run of the mill tyres in the snow compared with the RE070's (bridgestone actually state not to be used in the snow!)

Has anyone tried snow chains ? I might put the tyres on and then fit snow chains if it snows!

Cheers for the responses Guys
Old 05 March 2006, 12:14 AM
BS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy S.
RE070's in the snow, has any one tried them. Just bought some they arrived today and it promptly decided to snow alot!!
I was going to get them fitted or would I be better waiting till the weather improved?

Cheers Andy
Don't suppose they were 235's?
Old 05 March 2006, 12:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not the fact they shouldnt be used in snow, no summer tyre should be used in snow, well actually only snow tyres should be used in snow but its the width of the tyre that decreases the ability in the snow, where as you have more surface contact so less compacted pressure in one area, so less grip, but ALL wide tyres, no matter what tread will act the same due to the fact that the snow compacts into the tread making them a slick tyre, so wide is no good in snow what so ever hence the use of skinny snow tyres but you may have to consult subaru UK for info on the snowchains, on some 4x4 cars you only have them on the steered wheels and you may still find that the tyres are too wide for the chains
If your totally stuck, buy a landrover ive had no problems getting though snow in one of these

Tony
Old 05 March 2006, 04:31 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

You will find that snow chains are useful in fresh snow, but when conditions are more marginal they are a pain in the **** and no use on ice. Care needs to be taken when fitting snow chains as if they become loose when driving they can act like flails and destroy your inner wheel arches. You would think a driver would stop if they heard such a terrible noise, right? Well I've seen what happens if they don't. You would also need to make sure that your chains are suitable for your wheels and won't damage them. If you have OEM wheels then Subaru should be able to supply you with approved chains. If you have aftermarket wheels, you have to make a judgement and take it on the chin if you end up scratching your rims.

Also you will be limited to quite a low speed with chains on, think perhaps 20-25 mph maximum, not good because as soon as the road becomes clear you will be a moving road block and will hold everyone else up. And you should definitely fit chains front and rear if you do use them.

Although it's obviously a more expensive answer, the best solution is undoubedly winter tyres. At any time when the weather is below about 7 degC winter tyres will start to have improved performance compared to summer tyres and you don't have the hassle of trying to mess around with chains in the cold.
Old 05 March 2006, 05:07 PM
chocolate charlie
Scooby Regular

Andy

i've got RE070's on my spec C (235 wide)

No hope in snow, ice or heavy rain if your in a rush. Ok otherwise as long as your gentle with the turn in! (i chicken out and use my forester instead).

not sure it's the tyre for you in Buxton.....to much standing water on the fun roads???
Old 06 March 2006, 01:33 AM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by BS
Don't suppose they were 235's?
No 225/45/17
Old 06 March 2006, 01:40 AM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chocolate charlie
Andy

i've got RE070's on my spec C (235 wide)

No hope in snow, ice or heavy rain if your in a rush. Ok otherwise as long as your gentle with the turn in! (i chicken out and use my forester instead).

not sure it's the tyre for you in Buxton.....to much standing water on the fun roads???
Cheers Charlie

Buxtons not that bad realy last year we only got about 6 days of snow and normally if when it snows you leave it till late to leave work then all the idiots have gone by then and so can have a safe path home!
I have got the RE070's for the nice dry days, and if it rains I will be taking it steady
Old 06 March 2006, 01:44 AM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

If your totally stuck, buy a landrover ive had no problems getting though snow in one of these

Tony
LOL Pay a years Tax and insurance just to drive it 6 days of the year

Last edited by Andy S.; 06 March 2006 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06 March 2006, 01:58 AM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
You will find that snow chains are useful in fresh snow, but when conditions are more marginal they are a pain in the **** and no use on ice. Care needs to be taken when fitting snow chains as if they become loose when driving they can act like flails and destroy your inner wheel arches. You would think a driver would stop if they heard such a terrible noise, right? Well I've seen what happens if they don't. You would also need to make sure that your chains are suitable for your wheels and won't damage them. If you have OEM wheels then Subaru should be able to supply you with approved chains. If you have aftermarket wheels, you have to make a judgement and take it on the chin if you end up scratching your rims.
Mine is a JDM 04 STi with the optional Mag BBS alloys so I will have to give Subaru a ring to find out. I drove in Italy back in December in a hire car that had snow socks on it was brilliant in the snow they are a cloth mesh that you put on the same as chains and dont come loose! might see if I can get some of these.

Originally Posted by Brit_in_japan
Also you will be limited to quite a low speed with chains on, think perhaps 20-25 mph maximum, not good because as soon as the road becomes clear you will be a moving road block and will hold everyone else up. And you should definitely fit chains front and rear if you do use them.
It mentions in the hand book re fitting to all four wheels

Originally Posted by Brit_in_japan
Although it's obviously a more expensive answer, the best solution is undoubedly winter tyres. At any time when the weather is below about 7 degC winter tyres will start to have improved performance compared to summer tyres and you don't have the hassle of trying to mess around with chains in the cold.
I know all the pro's and cons about driving summer tyres against winter tyres I had contemplated getting some winter tyres on my classic earlier this year but ended up getting a new car

I think the answer is dont use the RE070's in the snow. I knew it was a bad idea I was just trying to confirm if any one had tried them. This has proved that they are as bad as I thought they would be!

Old 06 March 2006, 02:06 AM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Its not the fact they shouldnt be used in snow, no summer tyre should be used in snow, well actually only snow tyres should be used in snow but its the width of the tyre that decreases the ability in the snow, where as you have more surface contact so less compacted pressure in one area, so less grip, but ALL wide tyres, no matter what tread will act the same due to the fact that the snow compacts into the tread making them a slick tyre, so wide is no good in snow what so ever hence the use of skinny snow tyres but you may have to consult subaru UK for info on the snowchains, on some 4x4 cars you only have them on the steered wheels and you may still find that the tyres are too wide for the chains

Tony
What is the phrase dont teach your Grandma to suck eggs!

I know all about narrow tyres been better in the snow, put narrow mud and snow tyres on the scoob and it will go anywhere!
But I dont want a Pug 106 or a land rover, I like my scoob and just drive carefully when it snows!
Old 06 March 2006, 09:44 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy S.
Mine is a JDM 04 STi with the optional Mag BBS alloys so I will have to give Subaru a ring to find out. I drove in Italy back in December in a hire car that had snow socks on it was brilliant in the snow they are a cloth mesh that you put on the same as chains and dont come loose! might see if I can get some of these.

It mentions in the hand book re fitting to all four wheels

I know all the pro's and cons about driving summer tyres against winter tyres I had contemplated getting some winter tyres on my classic earlier this year but ended up getting a new car

I think the answer is dont use the RE070's in the snow. I knew it was a bad idea I was just trying to confirm if any one had tried them. This has proved that they are as bad as I thought they would be!

You're welcome. I'm interested in what these "snow socks" are, I can't recall seeing anything in Japan made form cloth. Are these what you are talking about? :-
http://www.roofbox.co.uk//autosock

How did you find them, putting them on/taking them off etc? Have you driven on full winter tyres, can you make a comparison? They sound like a good alternative to snow chains.

What you can get in Japan is a sort of tyre "wrap", for want of a better word. It is made from the same type of winter compound rubber used in winter tyres and has a diamond mesh pattern. I can't find any pictures on the internet to show them, but you can buy them in stores like Autobacs, the Japanese equivalent of Halfords. The ride is much "smoother" than chains, but appears to give the same level of grip.

Last edited by Brit_in_Japan; 06 March 2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06 March 2006, 01:29 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
You're welcome. I'm interested in what these "snow socks" are, I can't recall seeing anything in Japan made form cloth. Are these what you are talking about? :-
http://www.roofbox.co.uk//autosock

How did you find them, putting them on/taking them off etc? Have you driven on full winter tyres, can you make a comparison? They sound like a good alternative to snow chains.

What you can get in Japan is a sort of tyre "wrap", for want of a better word. It is made from the same type of winter compound rubber used in winter tyres and has a diamond mesh pattern. I can't find any pictures on the internet to show them, but you can buy them in stores like Autobacs, the Japanese equivalent of Halfords. The ride is much "smoother" than chains, but appears to give the same level of grip.
These are the ones I used in Italy they where very good and like you say alot smoother than snow chains. They are very easy to get on.

As regards to pukka snow tyre ie ones with studs the obviously are not as good I have driven with narrow studded tyres and they are simply awsome in the snow, only thing is you need to change them when you get to tarmac as the studs flail out on tarmac (hence why they are illegal in the UK dont know about Japan sorry), I have never driver with non studded snow tyre though so cant make a comparision with them.

Cheers for the link looks like you can get them in the UK
Old 13 March 2006, 01:48 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a run out with the guys from North Wales last year on RE070's i did find them a bit twitchy in the snow and ice but i had no problems keeping up with the other cars. Best bit was when we had a rest halt THE TYRES WHERE STEAMING

fab tyres when dry thou, put it this way i aint brave enough to take them to the limit. easy oversteer fun when wet.

Steve
Old 13 March 2006, 10:51 PM
mshill
Scooby Regular

Just put 2 new RE070's on the front on saturday to match the nearly new ones on the rear.
Woke up on sunday morning to find 10" of snow covering the street!!!
to make matters worst i had to venture out to take son to taekwondo grading.
Despite all the bad press on these tyres in the snow, i was the only car to make it in and out the street all day
front of car was like a snow plough
Old 13 March 2006, 10:51 PM
mshill
Scooby Regular

Just put 2 new RE070's on the front on saturday to match the nearly new ones on the rear.
Woke up on sunday morning to find 10" of snow covering the street!!!
to make matters worst i had to venture out to take son to taekwondo grading.
Despite all the bad press on these tyres in the snow, i was the only car to make it in and out the street all day
front of car was like a snow plough