Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Anyone using Hi-Spec's calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2001, 05:04 PM
Jon Bogert
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

They used to have a very informational web site, but it was replaced a couple of months ago by a single page with very little on it.

Anyway, I've read good things about their kits in the archives, but does anyone know anything about their self-made four-pot calipers? Are they comparable to AP/Brembo or more of a Wilwood type of product?

Hi-Spec apparently developed their caliper specifically to allow large rotors under small wheels. I'm looking for a street/track solution for my RS-turbo which still keeps the 16" wheels.

Thanks for any help/advice!
Old 18 October 2001, 05:42 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Hi-spec are just around the corner from me and i got some AP4pots last year from them on my old car. i was impressed with their kit & price and the brakes were superb.

I have seen Geoff recently and was looking at the hi-spec caliper. I have decided not to get big brakes now cos the padgid's blues i have is all i really need. I was going to go for the AP's again and go for the big brakes, i did'nt really fancy the hi-spec calipers because they have'nt quite got the AP name but after talking to Geoff for about ten minutes i realised that his calipers are better than the AP's on at least two things

hi-spec calipers have dust seals ( better for everyday driving to prevent piston ceasure)

hi-spec calipers have internel piping instead of being outside the caliper

with the AP5200 the piston sizes are 39mm and 41mm
Geoff is doing a 39mm 39mm combination, 39mm 41mm combination and a 41mm 41mm combination. so there is more choice

So i think if you can do without the AP name the hi-spec calipers are very good. (I think Pat may be getting their 6pot's when they are made, so if its good enough for Pat, they must be good )

hope this helps
scott

[Edited by RB5SCOTT - 10/18/2001 5:45:55 PM]
Old 19 October 2001, 04:05 PM
bigrex
Scooby Regular

I agree with RB5SCOTT. Two of my friends have Hi-Spec 4-pots fitted to their Hondas, and they are superb, both in performance AND quality. The other nice thing about Hi-Spec, is that they will do custom rear brake upgrades, retaining standard calipers with BIG discs. My Legacy will, hopefully, be going there in the new year for Monster 4 or 6 pots and 335x32mm discs, and a rear conversion as well, athough I don't know what disc size yet
Much cheaper than AP kit too, even including the rear conversion AND fitting.
Old 20 October 2001, 10:43 PM
Jon Bogert
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks for the input, guys. Now if only they'll return an e-mail...

I was out on the local track again yesterday, grinding down my stock rotors with Mintex 1155s. The stock brakes seem to last about 20 minutes, then I pull in for a rest.

You have no idea how hard it is to find shops that specialize in brakes here in the U.S. I think the lawyers scare them off. Of course, all most people here want is the biggest rotor possible, preferably with lots of holes in it and some gold plating.
Old 21 October 2001, 01:44 AM
MikeWRX
Scooby Newbie

I have to agree with you Jon when it comes to better brake packages in the US being more about color and crossdrilled rotors than about stopping power and fade resistance. I too am looking for better brakes to fit under MY00 RS 16" wheels. I really like the 305mm set up with aluminum hats and brembo 4 pot calipers. It may be the best bet for the money while maintaining 16" wheels. I was just in Pittsburgh and have to say the roads there are better than here in Michigan but I can understand the desire to stay with 16's. I always come to Scoobynet when considering suspension and brake changes as the experience with fast road use and track days along with having turbo Impreza's since the mid 90's along with the focus on performance over looks is unbeatable.
Old 21 October 2001, 03:12 AM
Jon Bogert
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

Wow, I just checked out the thread in this forum about the new TSL Motorsport Brembo kit. I'm no brake engineer, but it seems to me that without the luxury of 330-350mm rotors, you would want the thickest possible rotor--and their rotors are really massive!
Old 21 October 2001, 10:55 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Scott,

I think you'll fond the AP Road Spec Calipers have dust seals....