Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Too tyred...

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2005, 12:22 PM
Crox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Too tyred...

Just went to get a puncture repair and had three new tyres! 5 month old STi with 5k miles. 3mm left on the fourth. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? The Potenzas were all worn on the inside edge.
Old 18 March 2005, 12:43 PM
MattPiece
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Crox
Just went to get a puncture repair and had three new tyres! 5 month old STi with 5k miles. 3mm left on the fourth. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? The Potenzas were all worn on the inside edge.
Depends on how hard you've driven it, tyre pressure, roads, etc.

Inside edge wear on the front would indicate a variation of the 'Prodrive' toe-in setting to minimise understeer. Although this makes the handling/turn-in better, it is known to wear the tyres a bit more. However, 5K in 5months (assuming tyres from new?) seems excessive to me. Maybe worth checking the geom or slow down around corners .
Old 18 March 2005, 12:43 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

If I understand this correctly you have replaced 3 of the 4 tyres on your Scooby? This is a no-no on an AWD car, tyres should always be replaced in pairs on the same axle. Having a worn tyre and a new tyre can ultimately damage the diff, and the handling will be pretty awful. Anyway regardless of AWD on not personally I would always replace tyres in pairs on any car just because of the handling implications alone.

Regarding the uneven wear, it's not uncommon for Imprezas. You might what to consider getting you geometry set to Prodrive settings by someone like PowerStation, may improve the tyre wear. The tolerances as they come out of the factory are pretty wide.
Old 18 March 2005, 12:46 PM
Crox
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Cheers - must admit I was concerned with only three of the four being replaced - was going to check with the dealer. This is the probelm with it being a company car....the authorisers are incentivsed on keeping maintenance costs down
Old 18 March 2005, 12:48 PM
MattPiece
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
If I understand this correctly you have replaced 3 of the 4 tyres on your Scooby? This is a no-no on an AWD car, tyres should always be replaced in pairs on the same axle. Having a worn tyre and a new tyre can ultimately damage the diff, and the handling will be pretty awful.
I read it as 3 new and one repaired tyre.

Agreed though - if the repaired tyre has low tread deptth, having a such a wide disparity between treads in a 4WD, especially on the same axle, is not recommended!
Old 18 March 2005, 01:16 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

There's always the spare
Old 18 March 2005, 01:23 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

As its a company car why would you worry about damaging the diff?

Trending Topics

Old 18 March 2005, 01:28 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rossyboy
There's always the spare
ther's a spare ?? i thought that was for my bike
Old 18 March 2005, 01:28 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
As its a company car why would you worry about damaging the diff?
Just because it's someone elses property? - quality.
Old 18 March 2005, 02:02 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Cheers - must admit I was concerned with only three of the four being replaced - was going to check with the dealer. This is the probelm with it being a company car....the authorisers are incentivsed on keeping maintenance costs down
Show them a picture of a scooby wrapped around a tree, and caption it "this is what happens when you have uneven tyres"
(ps. It'll knacker the diff)

I had this argment with my company a year or so back and eventually won when I asked them to put the instruction to only replace one tyre in writing before I would do it.