Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Another poor brake thread....advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2005, 06:55 PM
wrx_sti_my04
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another poor brake thread....advice needed

Have an MY04 Sti with 6500 miles. Last couple of evenings the brakes have been really poor for a good few miles, seems ok if you yank the handbrake but on the pedal they are useless. The pedal is firm enough.

Is this the damp weather causing problems? Not really thrashed the car / or think I have glazed the pads.

Any advice / comments appreciated.

T
Old 11 January 2005, 09:07 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the handbrake has no connection with the main system at all (uses the inside of the rear disc as a drum and is cable operated)......................

is the pedal the same as always or harder/softer in anyway...........all standard or different pads, etc???

alyn - asperformance.com
Old 11 January 2005, 09:16 PM
wrx_sti_my04
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
the handbrake has no connection with the main system at all (uses the inside of the rear disc as a drum and is cable operated)......................

is the pedal the same as always or harder/softer in anyway...........all standard or different pads, etc???

alyn - asperformance.com
Thanks for the reply alyn. The pedal seems as normal, quite firm and little travel. You apply the breaks and get that "hey I think I should have stopped by now" feeling, enough to make me cautious enough to leave plenty of room. Does seem to get better after a mile or so.

It is garaged overnight, will try it first thing tomorrow to see if the sam, might point towards being parked all day in the rain etc as a possible cause.

Standard kit, brakes, discs etc are the gold Brembo.
Old 14 January 2005, 10:21 AM
Smudga
Scooby Regular

Yip got same car and similar probs. Mine have bite at lower speeds, pedal is firm but when you try to scrub of the rapid pace, they don't want to know, seems they bite to a point then no more and gradually slow. Doesn't give you much confidence.

Car in dealers today so lets see what they come up with.......if anything will let you know.

If it was parked all day in the rain and cold you would get rust stain on discs, this would make the brake bite more first off as it cleared it off the discs.
Old 14 January 2005, 11:58 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

My 2p worth

It's been significantly colder last couple of nights. Depending on your pads they'll take some warming up to get to a proper temperature.

I run DS2500s and they take at least 2-3 stops to warm up in normal spring/autumn temperatures, takes a bit longer this time of year.

J.
Old 14 January 2005, 01:29 PM
Dogus
Scooby Regular

There's a chance it's the salt being used on the roads at the mo....take a look here...

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=66016