Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Pedal to the floor (non scoob problem)

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2004, 03:17 PM
cliff_vtr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pedal to the floor (non scoob problem)

I know this is not a scoob but basic braking principles are the same for all cars and I thought you nice people may be able to shed some light.

Right got this problem on my gf's AX and to be honest Its driving me into the loony bin.

Its a 1.0 AX, discs at the front, drums at the rear. At first the car was towing to 1 side when braking. I replaced the rear shoes as they were down to the metal and the drums (2nd hand ones). That fixed the towing. Now when you press on the pedal it will randomly fail and the pedal go right to the floor.

So I replaced the rear brake cylinders as I noticed a tiny leak on one of the seal, no improvment. So I replaced the master cylinder still no joy. I have bled the brakes so many times I lost count so I know there is no air in the system.

I then got my gf to pump the pedal while I looked along all the pipes for signs of leaks, but I could not find a thing. Also fluid does not seem to drop in the reservoir when pedal is pumped.

I am going nuts....I was in the citroen parts dept at lunch (for something else) and was talking to the guy there and he suggested the servo..however if the servo failed then the brakes would just be heavy wouldnt they, I suggested this to the guy and he disagreed but could not really give me any proper explanation.

My only other option is to replace all the pipe and hoses, but thats really the last option.

Can anyone else throw some light on this.

Paul