Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Can the bulbs be upgraded??

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2004, 07:47 AM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the bulbs be upgraded??

In the standard headlights, can the bulps be replaced with higher spec ones to give a brighter beam? or would that overload the electrics?? (i really have no idea about this stuff i just know the lights are a bit poo....

Is it as simple as you do at home?? i.e. swap in a 60w bulb for a 40w? etc.

sorry for the dumb question on a monday morning...
Old 27 September 2004, 08:26 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Shouldn't this be in electrical?

Anyway what model year do you have?
Personally, I'm not a fan of higher wattage bulbs, they can cause problems and some last very short times for the price!

You could try Osram Silverstar, Philips Vision Plus or GE Megalights, 50% brighter (60% the GE ones), they can be better.

Avoid expensive higher wattage bulbs, as they have probs with bulb-life, and cheapo bulbs as they put light anywhere but on the road.

Avoid blue tinted bulbs etc as they are generally not as high LIGHT output, which is what you need.

Set up your lights yourself on a dark road/carpark.............it can make a difference.

If all else fails, bite the bullet and get a Morette type conversion:
Oh, and a good set of driving lights in place of the fog lights too.

Alcazar
Old 27 September 2004, 03:36 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

I had a '98 Wagon. It had the most pathetic standard headlights of any modern car I've driven, in fact they were worse than my 1973 VW camper with period Lucas round headlights. My girlfriends' Pug 106 graduate 1.1 cheap as chips is twice as bright.
I tried these '40% brighter' bulbs myself. Couldn't tell any difference. I put 80/100w in and bingo. Nearly normal lights and loads better than standard.
I know they're not strictly legal, and I know that the wiring 'may not' be up to it, but I never had any issues with them in over 3 years. Weren't short-lived, didn't blow fuses or melt any wires.
To my mind, half the cars on the road have still brighter lights than these due to more effective design, and those with Xenon units are way, way brighter, how on earth are they legal? they're blinding!
And the electricals? I don't know if all countries have the same max wattage laws we do, but I wouldn't mind betting the wiring is beefy enough already. Maybe someone with the knowledge could inform if that's the case or not....
Old 07 October 2004, 07:56 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly what Alcazar said. Most cars have poor alignment from the factory and it won't necessarily be picked up at a service or MOT. The lamps should reach 75 metres down the road on dip but most only reach 25!!! No wonder they look poor. You need a flat empty road at night and then adjust it appropriately or use a wall - set your car at 10 metres from it then put a mark at exactly the same height as the centre mark on the headlight on the wall. The lamps should be adjusted to 1% which will be 10cm lower than the centre hieght of the lamps on the car. Easy!

You could always pop round and I could look at it for you Neil? I also have a contact that does HID reletaively cheaply if you really must have that look!

F
Old 07 October 2004, 10:04 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Currently using Osram Silver stars - a lot better then the OE bulbs but still not brilliant. have a look at www.powerbulbs.com - they'll throw in a set of blue sidelight bulbs as freebies.

I'll probably be going to PIAA driving lamps before long, didn't really want to with the amount of backroads I drive on the seems prudent.
Old 07 October 2004, 10:36 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are the fittings h4?
Old 07 October 2004, 11:13 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

<plucks up courage to argue lecky with Floyd>

But F, the lights are still crap! I've wasted loads on expensive bulbs that don't last five minutes and am now very happy with my 80/100 twin-pack from Halfords, £12. I too couldn't see any worthwhile difference with Philips Vision Plus.

Some people have reported wiring problems but given that I spend 95% of the time on dipped, which isn't many more watts than standard, I've been OK for getting on for over two years now. I guess if you spend hours in slow traffic on full-beam it could get a bit warm around there

Edited to add, yes H4 fitting and it's a good idea to get blue-tinted side-lights as they look like a pair of candles otherwise.

Richard.

PS Top tip for brighter lights - clean the bu99ers

Last edited by Hoppy; 07 October 2004 at 11:15 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 10 October 2004, 09:51 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Richard, have you actually adjusted the height of the headlights?

Oh, and check your mail

F