Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

eagle F1 GSD3 Update never mix UR tyres (WRX03)

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2004, 08:53 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eagle F1 GSD3 Update never mix UR tyres (WRX03)

I posted on here about problems I had when I replaced 2 Bridgestones with the F1s putting the F1 on the back and the Bridgestones on the front, the handling of the car was seriously upset with 'tail wagging the dog' braking and floaty imprecise handling particularly on bumpy / undulating roads.
I blamed the F1's but many people told me to stick with them so i stuck 2 new F1's on a few days ago, thought I would give them a try with all 4 the same. The car is now sorted, all the problems are gone, so the moral of this story is never never ever mix tyres on these cars - the handling was bordering on dangerous. Rotate your tyres and change all 4 at once.
Compared to the bridgestones as a set of 4 i still thing the F1's have a softer turn in (WRX03 not the sharpest at the best of times) the bridgestones firmer sidewalls make this better but I think the F1 will make up for it in the wet.
I will see how the next 1K miles or so go!
Old 27 July 2004, 09:44 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

I had F1's on the front and Toyo T1-S's on the rear of my 01WRX and have just changed all four to the new Toyo T1-R's and can certainly notice a big improvement in the handling so I'll second what you're saying about not mixing tyres on these cars!!
Old 27 July 2004, 01:53 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRBlu
I posted on here about problems I had when I replaced 2 Bridgestones with the F1s putting the F1 on the back and the Bridgestones on the front, the handling of the car was seriously upset with 'tail wagging the dog' braking and floaty imprecise handling particularly on bumpy / undulating roads.
I blamed the F1's but many people told me to stick with them so i stuck 2 new F1's on a few days ago, thought I would give them a try with all 4 the same. The car is now sorted, all the problems are gone, so the moral of this story is never never ever mix tyres on these cars - the handling was bordering on dangerous. Rotate your tyres and change all 4 at once.
Compared to the bridgestones as a set of 4 i still thing the F1's have a softer turn in (WRX03 not the sharpest at the best of times) the bridgestones firmer sidewalls make this better but I think the F1 will make up for it in the wet.
I will see how the next 1K miles or so go!
Thanks for letting us know how you got on. I have replied to you before (MY01 bugeye with bridgetons on front and F1's (german made) on rear) and I am fed up with imprecise handling, most notably on straight ahead - but not so bad on corners. It's all pretty clear what I have to do.. get two new F1's for the front - thanks again for the update.