Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

So Pi**ed off

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2004, 10:28 PM
PJA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy So Pi**ed off

Fitted 18" oz prodrives on Monday to my WRX MY03 complete with new GSD3's, we've done about 35miles and guess what I've just removed a self tapper from the outer edge of a front tyre. It was in all its length 10-12mm approx. The tyre hasn't gone down but I don't fancy leaving it on.

So guess what I'm doing tomorrow or Saturday !!!! I just hope someone local has them in stock at a good price !!

Just out of interest is it ok to use the skinny spare when on 18's ??? Will it do any diff' damage? I assume slow speeds and low miles.

Comments please

Cheers for now

PJA
Old 08 July 2004, 10:35 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/ is worth a look. I did something similar on my WRX 2-3 weeks b4 i sold it. It's a real pain in the ****, i know how u feel.
Old 08 July 2004, 10:37 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

I'd have thought same rules would apply with regard to the spare wheel whether you gt 17" or 18" wheels on because the diameter is just about the same.

Ian
Old 09 July 2004, 11:29 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Its a bit late now but did you check with a good old fashoined bit of spit over the tread where the screw came out? if there were no bubbles then it should be OK. New tyres come with at least 8mm tread, with more rubber below that before you reach the critical stuff that shouldn't be breached.
Old 09 July 2004, 01:05 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Group buy on spit anyone? I know where I can get some if at least ten people are interested (Whoops, wrong forum.)
Old 09 July 2004, 01:13 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

the spare won't cause any damage at all - i had to do the same on my with 18's. The only obvious thing is that you've got to keep the speed below 50mph on it till the wheels sorted - oh and they look s**t as well
Old 15 July 2004, 12:57 PM
PJA
Scooby Regular

I finally decided to replace the tyre last Saturday - I think the tyre fitter thought I was nuts, but at least its peace of mind.

I have a problem now that the replacement tyre loses about 1/2 psi per day, I've checked it every day this week in the morning when cold, the others remain the same.

What do you think - bad seating on rim, valve, tyre ?

I've had a quick look and can't see any objects in it

Regards

PJA
Old 15 July 2004, 09:36 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I am pretty sure that if the hole is within the tread area, not the side wall you can get it repaired, i would swap it to the back though.