Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Eagle F1s - your expertise needed!

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2004, 10:59 PM
Beer Good
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Eagle F1s - your expertise needed!

Would value your expertise.

I had an MY97 with 15" Dunlop Sp2000's which understeered like hell at low speed/ sharp turn in, and was dreadful in the wet. It would, however, grip like sh*t on my local roundabout in the dry (A50 Chellaston / Melbourne junc 3, 65 MPH held all the way).

My current MY99 has 16" Goodyear Eagle F1's in Good nick, handles better in the wet, under the same conditions, than the MY97 with Dunlops did in the dry..... except on the same roundabout, where it starts to drift at 50 with a similar load / power. This makes no sense to me.

I guess different tyres work differently at different speeds, I just cant understand why a car which handles better under every other circumstance would cr*p out in one particular place.

I would LOVE a tyre that performed best in both worlds, question is, what is it?

I have to stick with 16".

Any ideas?

Steve
Old 19 June 2004, 03:59 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

The F1 is a great all round tyre. Haven't tried the 16" version (I have 18s on mine). Have you checked the geometry / alignment of your wheels? Might have more to do with it than the actual tyre itself.

Chris
Old 19 June 2004, 07:05 PM
BlueBoy
Scooby Regular

I've got goodyears on mine (again in 18") which are normally fine, but the other day I had a roundabout slide where my previous Toyo's have been fine on, yet the Goodyears gave way.

I've found them to be pretty good all round though, still not experienced them in very wet driving, but they've been good in greasy conditions.

I'd have a look around (the Pirelli Pzero Nero / Rosso tyres have good reviews), might be the setup of your car and a particular tyre
Old 19 June 2004, 09:06 PM
Beer Good
Scooby Regular

Good advice, I will get alignment checked.

The other annoying thing with the F1s versus Dunlops is they pick up every loose bit of grit on the road and flick it up under the car. Sounds like driving through a gravel trap half the time. Never noticed it with Dunlops. Must be a stickier tyre I guess.
Old 20 June 2004, 03:41 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

I think that Goodyears are excellent I have them on my Legacy Turbo. A car that handles pretty poorly due to its size and suspension (Estate). The TSL geometry set up and Goodyears compensate.
Old 20 June 2004, 02:19 PM
subaru swift
Scooby Regular

had f1's on my last 3 cars now, and had 2 sets on my sti scooby! i rate them no1 they r the best about!... .
Old 21 June 2004, 07:24 AM
BradN
Scooby Regular

I've just put F1s on my MY03 STi PPP replacing the standard Bridgestones. The dry handling's not so good but the wet handling's a massive improvement. I had a BMW and put F1s on the rears. In the wet the car felt like it was FWD the rears gripped that much better than the fronts. The break away on the roundabout in the dry may be down to the F1s not having such a stiff sidewall. In the dry I found the Bridgestones had great grip and at high speed you felt well planted. With the F1s at high speed it feels like the car is wandering slightly. Having a slightly more flexible side wall seems to give better feel in the wet as opposed to that skating on ice feeling.