Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Better track day braking solution

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2001, 09:11 AM
bigrex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I initially fitted braided Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1 fluid and Mintex M1144 pads. Then went to M1155 pads with Tar0x G88 disks. EBC pads seem very popular at the moment, but I had a set and changed them after a week. Too noisey and talk about black wheels!!!!!
Old 11 September 2001, 09:14 AM
JohnS

Jase,

if you intend doing a track day every month or two, then I would suggest you start saving for a big brake kit, as even cars fitted with the Subaru 4 pot calipers, uprated discs, pads, fluid and hoses would be struggling to last more than about 6 or 7 laps fade free.

Some uprated pads will help a bit (something like Mintex 1155 material), as will DOT 5.1 brake fluid, but ultimately the limiting factor in performance is the caliper itself (with a MY95 you'll have the sliding 2 pot design) which heats up, and after a few laps transfers the heat to the hubs, bearings etc.

Lots of people have tried the half way solutions to good braking performance, but still end up disappointed when going out on the track.

Old 11 September 2001, 12:22 PM
jnaylor
Scooby Regular

Question

Hey all,
Apologies if this has been covered, but a search in both this and the Track Day forum uncovered too many results!

I am after a reasonably cheap solution for track days.

After a recent trip I found my standard brakes (MY95) faded after about 3 laps or so... pretty poor really.

Yet I have never experienced brake fade whilst driving around town or the country for that matter (some may argue I'm not pushing hard enough? ).
So I'm after a solution that will give me more laps on the track (hopefully at least 10 at 3kms each) yet will work from cold, etc.

Or perhaps I should purchase a set of pads specifically for track days (I only intend on doing these every month or two) and change them over?

Cheers in advance,

Jase