Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

17" Toyos - how long to bed in?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2001, 06:52 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All

Just fitted a set of Toyos - I'm driving a Luxo-barge now....soo much quieter than the Falkens they replaced...very civilized

However, there's very vague turn in at the moment....I'm hoping a few thousand KM's will fix this? Have others noticed the same?

Anyone in Switzerland looking for tyres, check out
Old 03 August 2001, 10:52 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Not fitted toyos yet, but this problem has been apparent on Goodyear F1's, Marshalls, Yokohama A539's, and Pzero's. After about 500 miles all is good again (though don't know for sure on the F1's as I've only done 100 so far!)

Jon
Old 03 August 2001, 07:50 PM
Jim Dunleavy
Scooby Regular

I had a set of Toyo's fitted last year and I also noticed that the initial turn in seemed poor, until I got home and checked the pressures, found that the tyre depot had put 28psi in the fron and 33psi in the rear.....Got the pressures correct and they were fine.
Old 03 August 2001, 10:46 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I didn't have any bedding in probs with my Toyos, was running 34.5 front 33 rear until I destroyed the outside edges, then cranked them up to 38.5 front 36.5 rear.
Old 06 August 2001, 06:53 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Thanks All - it's getting better after a few KM's. I'll check the pressures as well.

Cheers
Richard
Old 06 August 2001, 07:31 AM
ric
Scooby Regular

Cool

My Dunlops took about 2000km of "hard" road driving to bed in properly.

Give them some time!

Personally I prefer the Falken over all the makes that I have driven until now.

cu
ric
Old 09 August 2001, 06:56 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Hi Again

I changed the pressure to 38/35 front/rear - this has improved things.....somewhat. Guess I just need to wait a few km's more now. Is anyone running higher pressure than this? Is it safe?!

In general, they seem a very civilised tyre - but the Falkens felt much, much more immediate when changing direction. The Toyos seem a bit slower/isolated.

Very progressive break-away with the Toyos though...just not as much ultimate grip as the Falkens

Richard
Old 09 August 2001, 07:46 PM
mikeesingh
Scooby Regular

Location: Fastest 4 Clyinder Manual impreza 8.83 1/4 mile GT35 Billet
my toyos T1-S felt allot better after about 300 miles, very pleased with them

i dont think the falkens are as good, they dont grip aswell in the wet

mikee
Old 10 August 2001, 06:29 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Hi Mikee

What Falkens? I had the FK-451's. And what pressures are you running your Toyos at?

I've now done maybe 1'000km's with the Toyos and they are getting better all the time....here's hoping they exceed the Falkens.

Richard
Old 11 August 2001, 10:30 AM
mikeesingh
Scooby Regular

Location: Fastest 4 Clyinder Manual impreza 8.83 1/4 mile GT35 Billet
dowser,

cant remember which falkens i had, all i know is they were ZR rated.
i think my tyre pressures are 36 front and 34 rear.
the only bad thing about the toyos is they are a bit noiser on the motorway than other tyres, but i cant them any more over the exaust
im sticking with toyos when i come to change my tyres, the only other tyre i might consider is S02 but they are alot dearer

mikee
Old 11 August 2001, 11:05 AM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dowser
Thanks for the link!! You should have post this a little bit earlier since I payed ca. CHF 1'000.00 for my set of S-03 PP and I am not so happy with them (especially in the dry!!) Should have gone for the Toyos as well!!
Cheers
Swiss Scooby
PS: Don't rave to much!!! (streetparade)
Old 17 August 2001, 12:09 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Anyone want to buy a part worn set of 17" Toyos?

I'm of the conclusion that they're inferior to the Falkens. With my driving style anyway... Very civilised though - *so* quiet on the motorway.

They kept getting better and on fast corners I can exceed the grip levels of the Falkens. However, the problem comes on tight and twisty stuff - the Toyos don't seem to respond to violent direction changes that well which upsets the balance for a split second.

Travelling on mountain roads new to me, trying to keep up with a friend in an Evo 6 TM (which has just had an exhaust change - damn, it's even faster now ) I would lose out on the straights and try and gain it back on the corners. The Toyos were squidgy, where doing the same with the Falkens gives more predictability.

Falkens for me again next time - stupid thing is, they're cheaper than the Toyos!

Oh, and in the wet there's no comparison - while the Toyos are very communicative (allowing great power slides ), I'd say there's maybe 15% less outright grip

All imvho, of course.
Richard
Hi Swiss Scooby - where you located? Missed the street parade - again! Drop me an email at richard.dowsett@citicorp.com

Old 17 August 2001, 07:19 PM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Hi Richard

it has become a rare occassion that I post on this forum as I moved to the dark side

I just had a quick drive in your car and the Toyos seemed to be even more comfy than the S03 on my car. Can't comment on outright grip as after exchanging cars we took it quite easy.
But turnin didn't seem to be sharp. After your experiences I definetaly won't buy them. Bit surprised as loads of Scooby owners on this board rave about them.

Must be the different tarmac then

Cheers

Mike
Old 23 August 2001, 06:43 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I just upped the pressures again - 39/37psi front/rear - things are much improved, in the dry at least

Or maybe I'm just getting used to them....

Mike - comparing my Scoob's turn-in to your Evo isn't fair I guess it's even better now after re-alignment?

Richard
Old 23 August 2001, 08:16 AM
scoobymike
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Richard

after the alignement the car is now devastating. Not squirmy anymore, more responsive, holds the line better and a bit more oversteery but I love it. Feedback through the steering wheel is also enhanced. Now I can again brake as late as I want without destroying my entry speed. Should have been like that on the Ring.

It's good to hear that your tyres improve. But after my experience with the alignement one tends to drive around the problem after a while instead of checking and solving it.

Had an interesting chat with the local Pirelli guy. Those Pirelli P Zero C (semislicks) are road legal! You can even drive them in the rain but they don't like standing water!!!!!

So have to begin my studies

Maybe next week a meeting is up!

Cheers

Mike