Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

changing brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2001, 07:26 PM
nickwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm going to change my brake's and pad's for some uprated jobbie's , so i'm going to change the brake line's as well, and what i want to know is when changing the line's do you have to drain the brake fluid in the system .
Plus what type of brake fluid is the best as i have some comma dot 5.1 will this do , and is there any technique to bleeding the brake system .
thanks nick.
Old 17 August 2001, 07:49 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Nick
I've also recently changed my brake lines and also removed the front calipers a couple of times. All you need to do is let the fluid drain into a tub while changing the hoses and refit them. Once they are all fitted, fill up the reservoir and bleed each caliper through with a piece of tube going into the tub. You'll need someone else to be sat in the car pushing the brake pedal up and down while you do it. Make sure you don't let the reservoir level go too low otherwise you'll have to redo it again!
Any problems, let me know.
Steve
Old 18 August 2001, 04:12 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

If you're going to get new brake lines (braided steel I presume) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get them shrouded in plastic sleeve or something, to stop them chafing against anything and splitting.

I learnt the hard way!

Tony