can this be done???

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2001, 12:25 AM
mkk33
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

on a 94wrx.

i have changed the front to 4 pots but thinking of changing the rear to 2 pots as it is running on the standard floating single pot.

IS THIS POSSIBLE???

Any major concerns or mods to look out for such as the capacity of the master cylinder and how will this affect the brakes?

please help.
Old 15 August 2001, 10:48 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi
Unless you're going to be doing some serious (and I don't mean road type braking) I wouldn't bother. You'd have to be doing an awful lot of track use to see the benifit.
Ron
Old 16 August 2001, 09:32 AM
mkk33
Scooby Regular

ummm... that's one of the main reasons for the idea!!! cheers m8.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RON:
<B>Hi
Unless you're going to be doing some serious (and I don't mean road type braking) I wouldn't bother. You'd have to be doing an awful lot of track use to see the benifit.
Ron[/quote]

Old 16 August 2001, 04:18 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

mkk,

nice idea.

Not worth it.

Two pots require type r rear hubs, which require type r rear drive shafts. These need machining to mate with a standard rear diff if it is at all possible.

Other alternative is to fit type r rear diff. This is a harsher LSD and will drastically alter the handling of the car.

Ask Simon De banke about this bit.

In short, it is technically a lot of agro.

You could try calling Godspeed or Hi Spec to see if they have any solutions to improved braking of the rear wheels.
Old 16 August 2001, 05:06 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

I think the best mod you can do reasonably easily is convert the rear discs to a ventilated set up and use a fast road pad.(thats if you don't already have them of course).
I seem to remember that you need to change the rear calipers at the same time, to the later type of one pot sliding caliper as fitted to the UK cars from MY99 onwards.

This set-up shouldn't give a problem when run with Subaru 4 pots on the front judging by the feedback from people on here.

Andy

Old 17 August 2001, 09:41 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Andy

I agree. We've done both jobs. The twin pot rears can be done, but as Adam says its a lot of work (and expense).

Changing the rears for vented is much easier. Fit an early WRX caliper, or Legacy caliper and a vented disc. The pads are the same. This reduces rear disc temps dramatically.
Old 17 August 2001, 11:36 PM
mick s
Scooby Regular

Sorry wrong forum!!!

[This message has been edited by mick s (edited 18 August 2001).]