Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Replacement Rear Disc's

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2001, 08:37 PM
RickyD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

After speaking to my local Subaru Dealer today (Gilesgate "Northumberland").

I am shocked to hear that it will cost me £350 to replace the rear disc's of my MY97 'R' Impreza.

This price includes new pads & fitting. To add to misery it's also going to cost me £294 for the 48month service which I expected when I purchased the car three months ago.

I've got the car booked in for the service on the 31st August.

Would it be cheaper for me to purchase some performance rear disc's & pad's and get someone else to fit them, rather than a Subaru Dealer??

What make & type would I purchase??

Please help me!

Cheers

RickyD
Old 10 August 2001, 12:13 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Ricky,

I recently had my rear disks (MY98) replaced under warranty after only 30K as they had warped, I originally thought it was my sprited driving but the service manager told me that it can be caused by salt getting stuck between the caliper and disk and causing corrosion.

I agree the price does seem excessive, I am sure you could source some std disks and pads elsewhere for a lot less than £350, fitting is a doddle.

Andrew...
Old 10 August 2001, 12:22 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

The rear brakes are only balance the car during braking the front do most of the work due to the bias. Therefore you will not really benifit much by doing that. In fact if you haven't uprated the front the car will be unstable during hard braking.

I would be suprised if you need to replace the rear rotors already!! My 1989 Subaru 300,000km still has the original rear everything except the brake pads. Cv's/boots,wheel bearings, hand brake shoes and rotors.
Old 10 August 2001, 01:12 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

You could try Blue Print discs & pads.

They're imported from Japan and are supposed to be original equipment quality or better.

Part no.s
Discs - ADS74307
Pads - ADS74207

Significantly less expensive - mail me if you want guide prices.

Rich

(Incidentally, I'm not trying to sell them to you. You can find a local distributor by checking
Old 13 August 2001, 05:36 PM
RickyD
Scooby Regular

Question

I've been quoted 139quid for the disc & pads (Blue Print).

Is this a good price?

Cheers

RickyD
Old 13 August 2001, 08:32 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sure sounds like a case of DIY to me.

Ian
Old 14 August 2001, 01:22 PM
JohnS

I got quoted less than £100 for the supply of two new rear discs and pads from a local Motor Factors a few months ago. The pads were under £15 including VAT if I remember correctly! I had a set of these pads in my own car, which lasted over 9 months and a few track days before I swapped them when I fitted the new discs, and even then they were only half worn.

The rear discs can be a real pain to remove, but I believe you can adjust the handbrake to retract the shoes to make things a bit easier.
Old 14 August 2001, 05:37 PM
RickyD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for that John!

It's nice to see some positive feedback. I think I'll go ahead and purchase the Blue Print Discs & Pads and get my friend's dad, who is a motor mechanic to fit them.

Cheers

RickyD
Old 14 August 2001, 08:09 PM
ikinder
Scooby Regular

Having recently fitted a set of Scoobysport Pagid 8 groove rear disc and pagid FR pads I can thoroughly recommend them. (I fitted the Pagid 8 groove front discs and pads a few months before the rears).

My only tip is to slacken off the rear shoes to make removal of the disc drum assembly easier (as stated by John S above). To do this remove the rubber blanking plug in the backplate (at the bottom). The adjuster is a cogged wheel which needs to be clicked up or down to adjust the tension using a screwdriver(it's tricky to find a suitably thin one, long enough and strong enough. A small piece of bent metal sheet can also be used). A torch is handy too. I can't remember whether up or down is to slacken on the drivers side. The passenger side is the opposite to the drivers side.

Once you've refitted the disc/drums adjust until the wheel locks and then slacken off 4 clicks.

Regards,

Ian
Old 16 August 2001, 12:11 AM
RickyD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Guy's you will be glad to know that I have made my decision to purchase the Blue Print disc's & pads.

The car is also booked in on the 31st August for the 48month major service also.

My local Subaru Garage "Gilesgate" have agreed to fit them at a cost of 57 quid which I think is reasonable for a 1 1/2 job.

At a later date I think I will upgrade the front set-up when I've got this year over with.

Thanks again for all your help, advice & again for saving me some hard earned cash!

RickyD
Old 16 August 2001, 11:57 PM
5door98
Scooby Newbie

Give Dennis Common at Longframlington Northumberland a ring. (01665 570542)Not a million miles from you. I recently read a used scoob buyers guide in a car mag giving 'min-max' prices for certain service items. Every service/item had a minimum price ABOVE what I have been charged. And they are a Subaru main dealer so your book and warranty (if you have one)will remain intact. I have found them helpful at every level. They found me a makeshift courtesy car at short notice from the back of the yard to get me out of a spot when I trashed two alloys. Ask for Alan in service. Top Geezer. I'm moving in the next six months and would consider the 130mls drive to continue their service since my scoob is getting on now and is a prime target for unecessary extras which some dealers seem to bung on to bump up the cost.