Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Alcons: brake pedal travel & bedding in?

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2001, 12:16 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my Prodrive/Alcons fitted to the RB5 today and they look wonderful

However, there seems to be about an inch of pedal travel before getting any braking 'bite' - I've only driven them home so they're not yet properly bedded in, but I was expecting more feel/resistance straight away.

Should I go back and get them checked (may need bleeding through again??) or will the feel improve over the initial bedding in period? (I had the prodrive rear pads, Goodridge hoses and new fluid done at the same time)

I was planning to go out for an hour or so tomorrow to get the bedding in sorted - just wondering if someone can clarify something in the instructions:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>2. In a safe location, perform 10-15 brake applications from 50/60mph almost to rest, using light to moderate pedal pressure

3. Allow the brakes to cool by driving at moderate speed with minimal brake use

4.After allowing brakes to cool, repeat the above but decelerate from 60-70mph, almost to rest using increasing pedal pressure[/quote]

So, 2) what is 'light to moderate' pedal pressure?! How long should it take to slow 'almost to rest' if I use the right pedal pressure?

3) How long is it likely to take for the brakes to cool?

4) The 'increasing pedal pressure' is fairly vague....

Thanks.
Old 19 April 2001, 12:29 PM
slimshady
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

martin ,
how do these feel compared to your ebc's and 4 pots ? , or is it too soon for a comparison !! (i am curious because i might do the same in a few months .)
ps hurry up with those brakes as i nearly killed myself last night;
my98+ppp+de-cat+ 2 pots = death

Old 19 April 2001, 01:54 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kryten
My Alcons were exactly the same. They do improve substantially with bedding in, but there does remain a slight softness that I don't remember from the old 4 pots. Having said that they now inspire confidence even if not delivering the rock hard pedal that I was expecting.

The only other thing that I would say is that I get an occasional clonk from the front offside corner when going over a bump or using the pedal for the first time on a drive which I didn't get before either. I don't know if it is pad knock off or what but I would be interested to hear if you get the same thing
Old 19 April 2001, 04:31 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Same experience for me. Pedal was initially very soft and only firmed up after a couple of pushes - brakes re-bled.
Firmer and no pump up evident, but frankly still softer than I remembered the old 4 pots being. However improved a lot after bedding in, although still not the rock hard pedal I was expecting.

In addition, first bump or first re-application after driving for a while brings a clonk from the front offside corner that wasn't there before. Don't know if this is just new clean pads moving about in the caliper or pad knock off or what (- pedal doesn't get noticeably longer ). Would be interested to hear if yours or anyone else's behave in the same way.
Old 19 April 2001, 04:33 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Same experience for me. Pedal was initially very soft and only firmed up after a couple of pushes - brakes re-bled.
Firmer and no pump up evident, but frankly still softer than I remembered the old 4 pots being. However improved a lot after bedding in, although still not the rock hard pedal I was expecting.

In addition, first bump or first re-application after driving for a while brings a clonk from the front offside corner that wasn't there before. Don't know if this is just new clean pads moving about in the caliper or pad knock off or what (- pedal doesn't get noticeably longer ). Would be interested to hear if yours or anyone else's behave in the same way.

sorry for duplicate message some problems with my pc meant first one didn't show up until second one was posted despite exiting and re-entering