Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Grating brakes

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2001, 12:17 AM
AndyC616
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Looking for some help please. I have just attempted to change the original 2 pot front brakes with 4 pots with the bigger discs. Have the 16" rims, so clearance isn't a problem.
After replacing said item,upon testing, I noticed a horrible grating noise and felt a juddering through the brake pedal. Also, when I stopped driving, I noticed that the offside disc was extremely hot, compared to the nearside one.
Did a lot of fiddling around to try and see where the noise was coming from, but was running out of time and so put back the original discs and calipers.
The same problem exists with the originals now, and after a while, driving (steadily of course), the ABS light comes on. The grating noise seems to disappear and braking 'appears' to return to normal. However, when I switch the engine off, the ABS is no longer engaged and the grating/juddering is back.
Does anyone have any experience of this?, or is anyone able to shed any light on what is going on?
Would appreciate assistance
Old 16 April 2001, 11:48 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i wonder if there is a difference in the hub that we don't know about and the bigger discs have damaged the abs sensor see if you can have a look at it also if you have spun the front wheels with the rear on the deck this can sometimes bring the abs light on so you will need to clear the memory to get it to go out. hope this helps.
Old 17 April 2001, 02:09 AM
slimshady
Scooby Regular

andy,
have you cleaned the hub properly ? i had this problem also , it was caused by dirt (foreign object ) getting between the disc and hub, causing it not to seat properly
Old 17 April 2001, 10:50 AM
AndyC616
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Thanks for assistance, have discovered the problem, it was the nearside sensor not having seated properly and giving a false reading to the ABS on the nearside. This problem manifests itself as a juddering through the brake pedal and the ABS compensating by applying more pressure to the opposite wheel.
Thanks for the replies guys!