Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

ABS or not ABS

Old 04 April 2001, 07:30 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,
The ABS has not been working on my MY96 scoob for a while now.The thing is I,ve got used to it now and dont really mind,BUT now I have my 1st track day coming up.
Question is,Do I get it fixed now or go to the trackday without it?,Will it be a help or a hindrance?
Any comments gratefully recieved.
SD.
Old 05 April 2001, 02:28 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

If the track stays dry you're better without it . If it's wet ( and knowing mondello it probably will ) it would be an advantage . I don't mind either way as long as you don't rear end me when you catch me in the corners .
Btw - how did you pass MOT without the ABS working ?

[This message has been edited by TURBO7379 (edited 05 April 2001).]
Old 05 April 2001, 05:48 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
SD, ABS is not a racing aid. It takes away some of the skill, and satisfaction, of track driving. Most racers don't like it.

But on the road, it's a life-saver when you come across the unexpected. Just mash the pedal into the carpet. There's no time to faff about with cadence braking and all that crap. Get your ABS fixed, and maybe save a life. It might be yours.

Richard.
Old 05 April 2001, 11:01 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hoppy:
<B>It takes away some of the skill, and satisfaction, of track driving. Most racers don't like it.[/quote]Still makes for quicker laptimes though...

Modern 4-channel ABS can adjust the braking force to each wheel individually up to the limit of adhesion. Modern drivers with only one brake pedal can only adjust the braking force to all four wheels at the same time.

ABS also automatically compensates for changes in weight distribution, such as a reduced fuel load or extra passengers.

To get the best out of ABS, you have to adjust your driving style. You need to make more use of "trail braking", or turning in, right up to the apex (not the clipping point) while still on the brakes. ABS should prevent you locking up the inside rear (assuming it stays on the ground!) while applying greater force to the outer front. Because of this, you may need a little more steering to compensate for the brakes "pulling" the car the other way.

Granted, it's a lot more use in the wet, but if ABS wasn't of any use, it wouldn't have been fitted to just about every type of tarmac track car - until it got banned for being too effective and taking away driver skill.
Old 05 April 2001, 03:02 PM
Tim Skerry
Scooby Regular

This is right. The only time when ABS will actually stop you faster is when you are on a loose surface where a build up of gravel, mud or snow in front of a locked up wheel actually increases the friction between you and the ground. Of course even in that circumstance it may be safer (and for lap time faster) if the ABS is on as you lose steering with locked wheels, which you retain if the ABS is working.
Old 05 April 2001, 03:49 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yup, rallying is about the only automotive category that doesn't benefit from ABS.