Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

loose disc & caliper

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2001, 12:23 AM
ndouglass
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I've recently noticed a clunk from the front right wheel under braking. I had a wheel stud replaced 4 weeks ago after snapping one of them.
I've had the wheel off to investigate this further and the caliper body seems to be a touch loose.. you can shake it.

I also noticed to my horror that I can put my hands round the back of the disc & pull it towards me about 10mm. I've checked with the other front disc and that ones solid in place.

I'm not able to get back to the garage where I had the wheel stud replaced for a while.

What needs to be checked & tightened to ensure both the Caliper & Disc are firmly inplace ??

Neil
Old 03 April 2001, 02:38 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Neil, for Chrissakes get it fixed now! Any tyre fitter should do. The caliper is secured by two big bolts from behind. Easy.

I'm not sure about your disc problem. Maybe something or nothing. The disc is secured by the wheel and wheel nuts, so when the wheel's off it's free to move. I guess the other disc you checked has just got rusted into place.

Does the hub move also? You'll need to get the whole lot properly looked at.

Richard
Old 03 April 2001, 05:01 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Neil

The caliper should be bolted rigid, but the wheel actually holds the disc in place, so it OK if this moves on the studs... whilst the wheel is off.

Its likely that the other disc is fixed because it has rusted onto the hub.
Old 03 April 2001, 11:09 PM
ndouglass
Scooby Regular

Pete,

I've had new discs fitted 2 months ago, so I don't think it's a case of the other disc being rusted to the Hub.

I noticed tonight with the wheel off that I can compress the Caliper piston without the use of a C Clamp, using my hands I can pull the caliper body to me compressing the piston.

It's booked in for a Service on Friday and I'll have it investigated then, my brother's had a look at it and he says that it's safe.

Just me being fussy I suppose

Neil