Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

New Impreza rim offset

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2001, 05:38 AM
wantUSWRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the U.S., awaiting (finally) a new turbo Impreza ("WRX") and since the wheels and tires that come stock on our version are absolute crap, I'm considering getting some decent 17" wheels.
1. What is the optimal rim width and offset for this car?
2. Does the optimal offset vary according to the width of the rim? I have seen ET53 recommended for 7" rims and ET48 for 7.5"; I have even heard that ET46 is proper for an 8" rim--are these differnces designed to promote handling, or just to keep the rim away from the strut?
Thanks
Old 03 March 2001, 11:26 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Hi there. Tricky questions! I don't know the answers but the reason for this reply is that this is a problematic area for our old-shape UK cars and you have to be careful.

The 17in wheels on the UK cars are rather smart, IMHO and should fit no probs. Wider rims will change the off-set. How much clearance under the wheel arches is there on the new model?

The man you want is Pete Croney (he runs Scoobysport) and has a UK01 car with quite a few prototype mods on, including different wheels. C'mon Pete! Where are you?

Have a nice day

Richard Hopkins
Old 03 March 2001, 02:33 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

The 17x7's on the WRX are ET55.

I have fitted 18x7.5" Speedlines in ET50. Apart from the stunning looks , they have also put feel back into the steering.

This is to be expected. The more inboard the wheel, the lighter the steering would feel. The extra wheel width means that the inner edge is in the same place, but the outer edge is now 12mm wider.

My car is considerably lowered and there are no wheel/body clearance problems. At last a car that has been designed for gravel and tarmac wheel/tyre options

I'm using 225/35 profile tyres. The standard is 215/45
Old 05 March 2001, 02:41 AM
wantUSWRX
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks, guys.
Do 18" wheels actually confer a handling advantage to the Impreza, over 17s, on less-than-perfect tarmac? Does this compensate for their added weight? How much more vulnerable are they to damage on aforementioned crappy pavement? I assume you can run slightly wider rims (because as the vertical distance from the hub increases, the strut moves farther inboard).
Also, if I understand Pete correctly, if the inboard edge of the rim remains in the same place, wider wheels will not compromise handling (e.g., tramlining)? Even though the actual distance between the mounting surface and the center of the rim changes?
Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate the acumen of the folks on this list.