Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

DS2000 vs DS3000 on Alcon brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2001, 07:12 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I know there has been lots of posts on this subject, but without search i'm unable to get some answers to a few questions.

My kit was fitted in July and i've done approx' 3,000 miles(weekend car), no track days. They need a bit of stick to warm up and work properly. The dust is now becoming increasingly more and more difficult to remove (every outing), i've removed all the wheels three times now to clean and polish them !

1. Would fitting DS2000 overcome the warm up period ?
2. Cost of a set of DS2000 ?
3. Will the dust from DS2000 be easier to clean off the wheels ?
4. Has anyone been "helped" by their dealer in the changeover to DS2000 pads.( e-mail offline if needed)

Other than these issues, the brakes are fantastic and i'd recommend them to anyone.

Hope you can help.

Steve.
Old 11 January 2001, 08:03 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have only had the brakes for about 5 months. I have just scrapped a set of 17”Mims due to the brake dust being welded to the wheels and then rusting. I have fitted P1 wheels, but the brake dust problem is now showing on them also. My disks are well worn and the spirals will be gone soon.
Prodrive informed us not long back on this board that if we get trouble with their kit to get in touch with our dealers. My dealer tells me he will phone me when Prodrive come up with a solution. If I still had my old brakes I would put them back on, as I cannot afford a set of wheels and disks every 6 months. I have asked my dealer to put on a set of DS2000 but he tells me to wait until there is a solution. Meanwhile I continue to ruin another set of wheels.
If I try to claim for a set of wheels will Prodrive say that I knew there was a problem and should not of continued to use the car?
What am I talking about I cannot get them to fix the brakes let alone the wheels.
I must be feeling a bit like Arron totally pissed off.
Old 11 January 2001, 08:34 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Bob
you should have gone for the AP's after all
Old 11 January 2001, 11:28 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
SteveB, DS3000s are really a racing spec pad. Under the right circumstances they're fantastic (racers don't care much about worn discs and a few marks on the wheels - they're all 'disposable' items, like tyres).

I reckon Ferodo DS2000s are the best Scooby pads available for fast road and track days, and have some hard factual data to back that up. If you can get them, get them.

Hoppy
Old 12 January 2001, 06:15 PM
Howie
Scooby Regular

Question

I had x-drilled and grooved Black Diamonds on
my last car (Corrado G60) with DS2000's - they were Awesome, I had 17" Gold Team Dynamics Monza's on (similar to OZ super T's) cleaned them every weekend with no ill effects from brake dust.
The brakes were oh so good. Once, whilst hooning down the outside lane of the M56 the traffic infront came to a dead stop, I slammed the anchors on expecting to lock up and slide into the car infront, tyres alight, the C just came to an extremely quick stop and no ABS either, the 3 series Beamer driver behind must have crapped himself as he too slammed his anchors on, he totally locked up, tyres smoking, just managed to slide his BM between me and the barrier in the central reservation (semi hard shoulder)
- Close call!!!

I 've had the STi for 18 months now, the brakes are even better than the C (probably down to the 4pots and larger disks) The disks are standard and ready for replacing along with the M1155, does anybody have any feedback on Tarox x-drilled and grooved Disks for the Impreza with M1155's?

Tia
Howie
Old 12 January 2001, 09:32 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

Wink

Steve, may be able to help you here. Answers to your questions are as follows;

1. It seems so on mine now I've changed them.

2. If you speak to your dealer nicely, they should swap the pads for free (they did mine)

3. Yes. I've just cleaned my wheels for the first time since changing the pads and they are a piece of cake now. (compared to the DS3000's)

4. Yes I have - as (2)

Prodrive have been pretty honorable so far in putting any problems I've had right.

Regards
Kurt
Old 12 January 2001, 11:14 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Hi Bob

If it's any consolation I have also managed to kill your original brakes.They have hairline cracks all over and drone like mad after 6K miles use.

Crap or what!

Andy
Old 13 January 2001, 08:52 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I only have brief experiance of DS2000s, but I wasn't impressed at all. Coming from 1155s (standard 4-pots and grooved discs) the performance was significantly poorer than the 1155s, and even after 4 weeks on the car (c2000 miles - no track use) they were 30% worn - I get c12-15000 out of 1155s.

When I took them back, and spoke to ferrodo, I was told DS2000 were merely a fast road pad (like EBC greens and 1144s), where as 1155s, Pagid blues etc were a competition spec pad, and acordingly I couldn't expect the DS2000s to be comparable.

On this basis, I got a full refund on the DS2000s and refitted 1155s. Going from almost new DS2000s to new 1155s was like having a total different brake set-up! and the grins returned
Old 13 January 2001, 02:51 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

I have an appointment for Monday at 15:00 at Tiley's they will remove the front wheels and measure the disks and pads and sent the info on to Prodrive. Prodrive will then decide what to do about it.They tell me they can get the disks and pads within 48 hrs, but must have the OK from Prodrive first.
Wheels/
They tell me my P1 wheels are covered under the warrantee as I purchased them through the Subaru network. Anyone who has P1 wheels or any other aftermarket wheel purchased elsewhere will get nothing. As I purchased my first set of wheels (Mims) through Scoobysport they are not warranted with Subaru.
Old 13 January 2001, 11:07 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for all your responses.

Spoke to my dealer today and I have to get my car down there for measuring like Bob. We'll have to see what happens to the wheels.
Not sure though what the new pads are ?

From how i've been dealt with so far, it seems that Prodrive/Subaru are now sorting these problems out quickly. It does though make me ask the question - How much testing was done before this upgrade was launched ?

Steve.
Old 16 January 2001, 09:57 AM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

Steve,
Just been to The dealers and have just had new pads and discs fitted. Hopefully they will work as well and not give the wheels so much grief. Thanks to Mike Wood for sorting the problem out. The new pads are a new compound but are not sure what they are? Could anyone enlighten me.? Are they DS 2000 or something else. There was no identification on the box.
Ian