Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

'Toyo's are great', 'Toyo's are crap'

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2001, 05:40 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

'Toyo's are great', 'Toyo's are crap', 'Falken 451's are great', 'Flaken 451's are crap','Bridgestones are great', 'Bridgestone themselves say SO2's shouldn't be use on Scooby's'etc etc!!!!????. Come on guys, surely someone knows the truth about all these tyres. Lot's of people must be talking rubbish because a tyre can't be great and crap at the same time (in the same conditions)! Why are there so many different opinions? If you're talking about 16" wheels, 17" wheels, wet conditiions, dry conditions, track use, motorway use, B roads use etc. then please say as we're getting nowhere. By the way, what should I buy as a great all round tyre for my 16" wheels? I think the only tyre I haven't heard slated for one reason or another are the Goodyear F1's. Can anyone confirm they're great (or crap) or tell me how much they cost?
Old 08 January 2001, 05:48 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Smile

All of what is said on this board about tyres is all personal choice , some like this , some like that . My personal choice is for the Toyo's , I like them and I like the price I paid for them . They are a vast improvement on the RE010's and far superior to the Avon ZZ1's I've also tried .
You pays your money and takes your choice .
Dave
Old 08 January 2001, 05:54 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

I don't think you will ever get anyone to agree.

Simon de Banke has driven lots of cars with various different tyres and rates the SO2's and the Toyos. I respect his opinion.

My Opinion

I have had SO2's on my car for the last 13000 miles and they are coming up to be replaced with 2 - 2.5mm left. My driving is a mix of A, B and motorways in about equal measure. I find the grip exceeds my limits in both dry and wet conditions. (However they are not great in snow ) They do wear quickly particularly on the shoulders but they are a soft grippy tyre so what do you expect?

I am considering Toyos next purely for comparison, however I suspect that when it comes down to it I will stick with what I am happy with and go for SO2's again.

I was under the impression that Bridgestone don't recommend the SO2 for the impreza because they haven't specifically tested it not that it shouldn't be fitted.
Old 08 January 2001, 06:18 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I think that they are only 'not recommended' in 16" size?
Old 08 January 2001, 07:22 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Doc/
13,000 out of a set of SO2's, how come I only get 6-7000.
Old 08 January 2001, 07:55 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Wink

Bob
your tyres don't last because your a lunatic , with a lead right foot
Old 08 January 2001, 11:42 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Bob

I don't change my wheels at the same time as my tyres either

By the way, next time you are giving away a set of 17" wheels - give me a call I'll be quite happy to empty your garage!

[This message has been edited by Doc (edited 08 January 2001).]
Old 09 January 2001, 05:45 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have a set of GY F1's and they are brilliant , especially in the wet . They grip well from new unlike SO2's which need running in plus they are £40 each cheaper .
I paid £320 + vat for mine . They tend to let go progessively rather than suddenly like some tyres I've had (Falken , Fulda) which lead to brown trouser moments . Makes 4-wheel drifts easier to control albeit at higher speeds because of the better level of grip available .
Old 09 January 2001, 08:38 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

How long is a piece of string....?

Its all down to personal opinion. The consensus though is that SO2s are the best, (but also the most expensive), and having experienced several tyres I would agree, but it depends what you want out of your tyres, ultimate wet grip, ultimate dry grip, all conditions allrounder, wear, noise, VFM....etc etc.

SO2s, T1-Ss, F1s, P-Zeros, Yoko AVS are all good performance (Z-rated) tyres, some have their edges, some have strong advantages over others, but you wont go *far* wrong on any of them. Tyre pressures will make as much of a difference to grip than the difference between the brands listed! Driver ability will make far more difference

On wear, on my S02s, if I run anything less than 36 psi on the front the shoulders/edges wear far quicker than the main body of the tyre! At 36psi, they wear evenly, and grip/handle fantastically

PS the answer to the string question, as I am sure you know, is always "twice the distance from the middle to the end"
Old 09 January 2001, 09:24 AM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks all,
I think I might for Toyo's then as they're only £85.00 a corner, all in, at Tyres Nothampton. Having said that, how much are the F1's again? Are they as good or better (in all your humble opinions)? Questions, questions.
Old 09 January 2001, 09:52 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Sorry but I'm a bit late on this one.

Anyway, It is all down to personal preference, as has been said. Some of us want great wet grip, but not too worried about dry grip, others want all round grip, etc....

I've just had a set of Toyo's put on the black beast, and they do seem a lot better than the bridgestones that were on it previously, but this could be due to the old tyres being somewhat down on tread, which might account for the now much better handling.

All I will say is that Toyo's do seem to be very good for the price.