Time to change the brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2000, 10:43 PM
António Correia Jr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

My standard brakes (MY99) are ready to be replaced. I feel I have explored/exploited them to the limit and a new brake kit is more than welcome.
Besides, Christmas is coming!

So the question is: what brake kit?
It seems there are three kits that deserve the highest marks: Brembo (SS), AP Racing (SM) and Prodrive.

Which one of this kits is more suitable for road/track use only?
I know this has probably been answered in this forum, but I can't seem to find the search form...

I'm looking forward for your comments!
Thanks,

António Correia Jr.
Old 03 December 2000, 02:12 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Hi Ant, and welcome to Scoobynet.

There is stacks of info on the questions you ask, because we've all faced this problem some time or another! Trouble is, you can't search the archives on this site right now as Mr Webmaster is reconfiguring things. So...

If you're planning to go on track, forget the various upgrades you can get using existing calipers. They're just not good enough. You need to replace all key components but you're already on the right track with Brembo, AP and Prodrive (Alcon).

The Brembo kit from Scoobysport uses Brembo calipers with AP discs now, I believe (best to check with SS first) and is highly rated. Fits under 16in wheels.

AP kit is very highly rated too (got them myself) and you can get packages for 16in wheels (4-pot) and 17in wheels (4-pot or the fabulous 6-potters).

The Prodrive conversion is made by Alcon and is also top quality, but you need 17in wheels to fit them under.

Prices for all these items is approximately similar over here. They are all excellent and it's not an easy choice. Then you've got to pick the pads that suit you best! This is where opinions vary but with this sort of equipment I think you'll find it quite hard to make a 'bad' decision.

Hope this helps. Keep posting more questions until you're satisfied. We'd all like to hear the answers!

Hoppy

PS I was in Portugal for the World Karting Championships in September (Braga). Beautiful country and great roads. Some maniac drivers, too!
Old 05 December 2000, 09:52 AM
chrisd
Scooby Regular

Ola Antonio,
another brand is the Mov'it kit from Germany.They use porsche GT2 components.You can find them on the web ,they have a site where you can see an Impreza with the brakes fitted
Bye Chris
Old 07 December 2000, 08:44 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

Wink

Antonio

Give the prodrive brakes a miss until they've sorted the DS3000/DS2000 pads thing out.

The DS3000 pads that the kits are supplied with at the moment are very very abrasive and will eat the disks in about 8000 miles. They also deposit the brake dust from hell which will take you a couple of hours a week to clean off.

I've heard the AP brakes are real good.

Regards
Kurt
Old 08 December 2000, 08:17 AM
Mr Bian
Scooby Regular

Chris

Whats the url for the MOV'IT site?

Mark
Old 09 December 2000, 01:04 PM
António Correia Jr
Scooby Regular

Smile

All things considered, I finally decided in favor of the Prodrive Kit with DS2000 pads.

All of these kits are obviously very good, so the deciding factor was that the Prodrive kit is "Subaru-approved".

I did check out the Mov'it web page (http://www.movit.de/). Porche brakes are considered to be the best in the world, but I do not feel confident in a cut-down version of a Porche kit...

Anyway, I thank you all for your comments

Now... time to get on the road and burn the current brakes...