Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

AP? Alcon? Brembo? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2000, 11:02 PM
phil_ng
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK now Im confused. Before I discovered this little community I was about to upgrade to AP brakes. Now having searched the subject of upgrades I havent got a clue which way to go. I do 5 or 6 trackdays a year and starting Prescott Hill Climbing in the Spring so the STI5 brakes are definitely about to get binned. Anyone got any experience of the various options I would be grateful for some feedback!! Now I hear AP have brought out 6 Pots - as if I havent got enough problems!! Also anyone tried the Leda suspension?
Old 11 November 2000, 11:37 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have just got a set of Scoobymania AP Racing 4pot brakes....they can only be described as amazing.

I have done about 10 trackdays on the std. subaru 4 pots and they really do not cut the mustard.

I'll let you know how I get on at donington tomorrow

Ian
Old 12 November 2000, 10:04 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just for the record, AP brakes are AP brakes, whether they come from Scoobymania, Scoobysport, BRDevelopments, Falkland Performance or whoever. Lets not confuse the customer and try to falsely differentiate a product.

Go for the AP 6 Pots - i did (from BR Developments!)

Sunil
Old 12 November 2000, 08:11 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Running Brembo Calipers & AP Discs

Leda B too

Just awesome
Old 12 November 2000, 11:14 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
My experience. MY00 UK car. Standard brakes hardly up to road use.

First upgrade was Prodrive Pads (Ferodo DS2000) and 5.1 fluid. At Donington, sha99ed the discs in no time; one cracked rotor. Upgraded to Bremsport discs. It took a little longer, but discs warped on the track after a few sessions. Am I heavy on the brakes? Well, on the track - apparently YES!

Went for AP 4-pot upgrade for 16in wheels. Promising on road, but what about the track (torture chamber for brakes)? Donington today, fabulous weather - slicks - brakes brilliant. Time after time. Firm pedal, no fade all day.

They're so good, I now want the 6-potters! It's like horsepower - when you've got 250bhp, you want 300, when you've got 300...

Seriously impressed. Bought from and fitted by Scoobymania. Very happy.

Hoppy
Old 12 November 2000, 11:23 PM
phil_ng
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the responses guys. Its got to be AP 6pots! Look forward to seeing some of you on track.
Old 13 November 2000, 10:17 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Phil

Check your rules, as you need 17's for the AP 6 pots. If you run in a production class, you are some times limited to the stock wheel size, which would mean AP 4 pots or Brembo 4 pots, using a 305x28 disc.

Good suppliers will have both sizes in stock.
Old 15 November 2000, 11:40 AM
Marcus Eales
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'll buy your old ones! Can someone tell me how much I should be paying for Subaru 4Pots?

.............and sell me some.
Old 15 November 2000, 01:01 PM
AlastairB
Scooby Regular

Talking

Marcus,

Subaru 4 pots go for about 300-400 pounds depending on condition/age for discs, pads & calipers.

Check the for sale section regularly as these things crop up all the time....

HTH
Alastair
Old 15 November 2000, 02:42 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sunil... how are ya mate

yes you can get AP brakes elsewhere...but I felt it was important to point out that the service I received from ScoobyMania was excellent.

I originally ordered AP 6pots but then decided 4pots would be fine for my requirements. I run 17" wheels for the road and the track but would still like to be able to use 16" wheels when required.

I wasn't bothered about the fact the 6pots and bigger disks filled out the wheels. I purchased the brakes for functionality not for looks.

There was a problem with the finish of one of the caliper mounting brackets when they arrived from AP (One of the threads in the bracket was not tapped right down to where it should be meaning the bolt would not go as far as it should).

Fortunately Mike has an uncle who has more engineering equipment than you can shake a stick at. Mikes uncle was able to determine the exact thread and pitch and cut the thread into the rest of the bracket using a very expensive high-speed steel tap. (Thanks Mikes Uncle )

The problem meant that we were up very late fitting the brakes (11:00pm). Mike T's dedication was second to none.

Job is a good un....thanks again Mike and Scoobymania.

The brakes were fully bedded in and they were used at donington last Sunday...all I can say is wow...fade-free hard braking all day long. Maybe the 6pots are better....but the 4s are fine as far as I'm concerned

Lets try not to turn this into another battle of the brake suppliers thread...I am not interested in more arguments.

Anybody on this bulletin board is free to purchase products from whoever they choose...choice is a great thing...lets all just remember that.

Old 15 November 2000, 03:08 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Hear, Hear!

Stef.
Old 15 November 2000, 07:56 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yep, totally agree, what a wonderful outcome.

Sunil