Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Michelin Pilot Sport

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 1999, 12:09 AM
ColinCo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Were they crap in the wet for track driving, road work or both.

Old 27 July 1999, 10:09 AM
ColinCo
Scooby Newbie

Has anyone any experience of these tyres?
Old 27 July 1999, 10:59 AM
malique
Scooby Regular

Angry

Pete does. He was supposed to get back to the BBS with comments after Catalunya, I'm still waiting. Should have asked him to clarify after Catalunya WHICH year...maybe he's been too busy *kidding*

Seriously though, from past experience using these tyres on different cars, I would expect it to be an excellent performer beating the pants of SO2's/Toyo/Yoko's/andwhathaveyou.
*Maybe this will induce some replies*

[This message has been edited by malique (edited 27-07-1999).]
Old 27 July 1999, 11:43 AM
JohnS

I drove Pete's car in Catalunya. The tyres were superb in the hot dry conditions, and never "went off" once (unlike the P Zeros fitted to some other cars).

Unfortunately, Pete reported that they were crap in the wet when he tried them on a wet track day back in the UK. Certainly a lot worse than the S02s in the wet, but better in the dry.

It tends to rain a lot in Scotland, so I went for the S02s, which I am very happy with
Old 28 July 1999, 06:00 PM
mike_nunan
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Hi Colin,

I'm also looking around for a new set of covers (somewhat delayed by having to wait for a set of wheels to be delivered, but that's another story...)

Sorry to contradict, Malique, but Pete was running Pilot SX-GTs, not Sports (just spoke to him). According to the Michelin UK website, Sports are the next model up and offer "12% improvement" in wet weather cornering, plus better wet braking performance. I suppose this means they're softer, so maybe the dry grip isn't as impressive as with SX-GTs.

There are also SX-MXX-3s to consider, which are the top of the SX range. Dunno what they're meant to be like. Apparently there's a new model called the SX-MXM coming out, but it's not listed on the website. This came from Elite, who also thought that the Sports we downrange from the SX series, when the website shows the opposite, so I don't know how trustworthy that info is.

Anyway, I just got off the phone from Elite, and they want a wallet-savaging £175.09 (inc valve, balance and VAT) for Sports in 205-50ZR16 fitting. MXX-3s and MXMs were within a couple of quid of that price. Gulp. Maybe I'll have some Toyos instead

-= mike =-
Old 09 August 1999, 07:23 AM
ColinCo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the feedback, I have since gone for the Toyo Proxes T1-S (Strange name).

Got speking to a guy who was the farther of the tyre shop owner, who told me that he used to be the UK General manager for Toyo- he then said that Toyo were the first to have the 'V' groove patten on a development tyre at least 5 years back.

It does look really good on the car, I 'll let you know how they feel after a bedding in period.
Old 09 August 1999, 05:15 PM
PGMabley
Scooby Regular

I have just put pilot sports on the front of my MY98, replacing p-zero on the standard 16" rims. They seem to have firmed up the front of the car quite noticably and turn in is much sharper. Dry performance is easily as good as p-zero - no wet weather experience yet (I have also just been disqualified from driving so cannot use todays weather to test! See my reply to post "impreza gatso'd" in general section.) Hopefully they will give a few more miles also. I paid £155 all in for each tyre where we have a company account - shop around as I had the horrendous quotes too!

Hope this is of use - will post wet weather results ASAP!

They are the top of the range tyre - look at
Old 19 August 1999, 10:53 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

The Pilot Sports would need to offer a lot more tha 12% more wet grip, before I would go back to them. The SX-GT's were staggering in the dry (as good as slicks?), but I need a good all round tyre that can also excell on a wet road/track.

In 17's, Bridgestone SO2PP are the only tyre that fulfill my criteria and I love driving with them. Far more grip and than PZero and Toyo and very progressive when they do let go.

That said, the SO2's are useless on a dry track, overheating within 2 laps... but then I use slicks in the dry.

The SO2's do not overheat on a dry road.

Before I am dragged through the courts for this... this is my personal and humble opinion, based on my driving style and conditions.
Old 04 September 2000, 02:14 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

The Michelin Pilot MXX3 are superior to the Michelin SX-GT and the Pilot Sport is the replacement for the now superceded MXX3. The numbers you saw on the Michelin site about the improvements of the Pilot Sport ("12% improvement" in wet weather cornering, plus better wet braking performance.") is when compared to the MXX3. The MXX3 are better than the SX-GT, and the Pilot Sports are meant to be better than the MXX3.

Have a look at
Old 04 September 2000, 02:16 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Smile

Whoops.... URL should be